Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Is there a reason to hold on to old equipment?

Mitch0712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mitch0712

I've played for around 14 hours and have collected a lot of equipment in my item box. Is there a reason to hold onto my old gear? The item box isn't cross-character is it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

At one point you might want to experiment with Fashion-Soulsing.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Nah, fuck that shit. If it's low-level, toss it. For armor, you'll find duplicates or better equipment. For weapons, lower-level swords are worthless after you've found better stuff. Discard any duplicate rings, as well, except for low-durability rings, as sometimes it's good to have a backup if one breaks.

It's not worth having to cycle through the gigantic list of items every time you wanna pick out your favorite 2 or 3 item sets.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Nah, fuck that shit. If it's low-level, toss it. For armor, you'll find duplicates or better equipment. For weapons, lower-level swords are worthless after you've found better stuff. Discard any duplicate rings, as well, except for low-durability rings, as sometimes it's good to have a backup if one breaks.

It's not worth having to cycle through the gigantic list of items every time you wanna pick out your favorite 2 or 3 item sets.

Why throw anything away when you can just store it at the bonfire?

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@golguin said:

@development said:

Why throw anything away when you can just store it at the bonfire?

Because Gavlan wheel. Gavlan deel!

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The souls Gavlan offers when you give him stuff are ridiculously low. I prefer storring, at least I can use the stuff to do some equipement testing now and then.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling said:

Because Gavlan wheel. Gavlan deel!

Damn straight. If it is some junk you know you aren't going to use (like that 4th longsword random drop) you may as well store it until you can get to Gavlan and pawn it off for a handful of souls.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

@myrmicus said:

The souls Gavlan offers when you give him stuff are ridiculously low. I prefer storring, at least I can use the stuff to do some equipement testing now and then.

I sell off all my doubles two or three times a playthrough and it gets to be substantial. Usually around 35K per trip. Also, I'm not going to need 30 mundane stones. Might as well sell off 25 of them for 17500. The same goes for the other stones and fire seeds.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That was one of the funnest parts of DS2 for me; amassing a huge collection of weapons, armour, rings etc. It scratched the same itch that I imagine Pokemon does for others. Gotta catch em all.

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've made more than half a million souls selling unwanted gear to galvin so it is well worth it to sell him extra gear. The giant ring you get from the giant king is worth almost 2000 souls alone, after farming him more than 50 times that added up. Not to mention you can get more souls sometimes from selling gear than killing enemies, depending on the enemy and gear.

So glad they finally put their thinking caps on at From to give us a way to turn otherwise worthless junk into something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
    deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I like to keep all my armor and shields just in case something comes up where it might be more useful than what I usually wear. Adapting to a situation has always felt important to me and has gotten me through a lot over the course of the game. Brute forcing everything just seems like a dumb way to handle it (though entirely possible).

For weapons you can sell the ones you don't want to use, unless you ever plan on experimenting with them.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Does DS2 have anything anywhere CLOSE to being as fashionable as the sick-ass Catarina Set?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myrmicus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm, it seems Gavlan can grant some souls. I find the souls he gives too low compared to how fast I can gather souls just by playing... But it certainly has to do with the fact that I stop leveling my characters when I feel they are strong enough, so I end up gathering souls without spending them, except on consumables and ammos. I still have 2 million souls.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Here's a related question: is there any reason to keep a vanilla ring after you grab the +1/+2 variant? For example, could I stack my SSR with my SSR+1 for extra-baller soul farming?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By development

@dark_lord_spam: They weigh less and have less durability than the upgraded versions, but I've never had that be an issue. The same ring, whether +0 or +1, cannot be worn alongside any other version of that ring. Gavlan or trash 'em.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By bybeach

Thank gawd you can sell stuff in DS2. I agree with the concept of holding on for unique or accentuated benefits. But at some point I wanted to peel off that catalina armor and make some damned money fo' ugly. Reminded me of a sardine can or one or those 1950's Z- feature robots. Upgrading a mix combo of armor(till Paladin) did me so much better. Even then I hung on to the black knight helm. But I could not make a buck off the armor transition!

Now you can if you want, great.

XCEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are people not aware you could feed items to Frampt for souls? DS had a "sell" option.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kaos999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xceagle

Completely forgot about Frampt though I thought he only chewed up shards to make smaller shards? My fault for ignoring him every playthrough. ..

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@humanity said:

If we're on the same thing, at one point you will get an NPC in Majula who you can totally play dress up with, which I actually think is sort of neat way of dealing with excess equipment, but still completely dumb.

I was actually just talking about mix and matching your own equipment but that one particular NPC is pretty neat for that too - I gave her the lion mage outfit, which I thought was a suitable since it boosts cast time or pyromancy or some such, and she only wore the top. Then I gave her these bracelets and she took everything off and only put on the bracelets. So I guess she will only wear what you give her in a single batch. Still kinda neat, although she has been freezing her butt off wearing only those bracelets for quite some time now. I really like her as an NPC too because unlike everyone else she is constantly cheerful and optimistic.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try to keep at least one copy of everything in case I decide to change my playstyle and need a new set to accommodate it. You may also find yourself up against an enemy with tactics that strike right at your equipment's weakness. For example, I love my Mastodon Armor, but Licia of Lindelt kicks my ass because there's a big gap in that armor's lightning defense, and she only uses miracles against you. You'll want to have access to a Saint's set, or Watcher's Shield, or Slumbering Dragon Shield.

If you don't think you'll be changing your playstyle or adapting to a particular enemy, or playing dress-up, then feel free to sell.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huzzah for wheel!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.