Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Issues with Dark Souls 2 for PC, please help.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thejke

I can't get it to work.

The game starts fine but I encounter problems when I try to start a new game. First, during the opening video, all I see is subtitles on a black screen. I waited for a while to make sure this wasn't just for dramatic effect, but after several minutes I knew for sure it wasn't working. So I skipped it.

After that I get to the loading screen. I installed the game on my ssd, so it should have loaded very quickly. I let it sit on the loading screen for about 5 minutes before I turned it off and tried again. Everything went the same way the second time.

I have been trying to find some help with this issue, but since it just came out I have been unable to find anything. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to try reinstalling it.

SpartyOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thejke said:

I can't get it to work.

The game starts fine but I encounter problems when I try to start a new game. First, during the opening video, all I see is subtitles on a black screen. I waited for a while to make sure this wasn't just for dramatic effect, but after several minutes I knew for sure it wasn't working. So I skipped it.

After that I get to the loading screen. I installed the game on my ssd, so it should have loaded very quickly. I let it sit on the loading screen for about 5 minutes before I turned it off and tried again. Everything went the same way the second time.

I have been trying to find some help with this issue, but since it just came out I have been unable to find anything. Does anybody know how to fix this issue?

Well two of my buddies had a black screen issue and one is ongoing. As for the other, it was because of some HDMI glitch. If, by chance, you're playing using an HDMI cable to your display, try unplugging that and launching the game, then reconnecting the HDMI. Best of luck duder.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DonMFJohnson

I'm going to buy a cheap DVI-HDMI adapter for my living room setup to bypass the HDMI problem, already running sound through separate connection to the A/V receiver. This will be the whole connection chain: graphics card DVI output -> DVI-HDMI adapter -> HDMI cable to TV. Will report back with results.

Edit: And my cunning plan didn't work, still crashes at launch.

fogh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@donmfjohnson: Maybe this can help you. The only way I can launch the game is to unplug my monitor as the game is launching. I only have a plasma TV to connect to my PC and it seems to not support whatever display mode the game is looking for. So try unplugging your display cable right when you're launching the game, then it should start in a 720x1280 window. Then change the display options in the menu to fullscreen and your desired resolution, close the game and launch it again while unplugging your monitor as it is launching. That is how I have done it so far, so I hope it might work for you.

Also if it crashes/hangs when you select New Game, when it is supposed to show the intro movie, you might need a Windows media update, so make sure Windows is fully updated.

DonMFJohnson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DonMFJohnson

@fogh: Yeah, read about all the fixes on Steam forums but they all seem kinda clunky. I'm ok for now, at least I can play with my other computer that is hooked up to a monitor. Thanks though :).

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

Disconnecting the HDMI seemed to work for me. You can reconnect it after launching. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. I've gotten used to this type of stuff from PC gaming. I always seem to be in the demographic that is having issues.

thejke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thejke

I reinstalled and then tried again. I also did the hdmi replugging thing. It works now. Thanks for the help.

Zurv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

updating the video driver might help too :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.