Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

Question About Stats

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Hey guys, I'm about half way through the game and have been leveling a lot and upgrading my equipment like mad. But I'm not sure I totally know what I'm doing. However, when comparing my build to Vinny's build in the 'We're Playing Dark Souls Too - Part 3', under Defense (the statistic window on the bottom right), his 'vs slash' 'vs strike' 'vs thrust' is all around 500-550 and his poise is just over 100. My 'vs' stats are all around 750-800, poise is in the low 80's. He's about 20 soul levels higher then me though and at the end game. So I'm just wondering if something is off or something...I don't know.

My hunch is that a bigger number is a better thing. But with this game, and all the stats it has, who really knows right? So do those 'vs' stats really matter that much? I imagine mine is so high because I upgraded my gear so much. Did I do this right? I mean I'm not having too much trouble in the game as long as I take my time. My 'Phys. DEF' stat is around 85-90 and my 'Magic DEF' is around 130. Do those stats mean more?

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 86

#2  Edited By Savage

Those defense stats are mostly based upon whatever armor you're wearing. Upgrading your armor will also make it give higher defense stat bonuses. The 3 "vs" stats are measures of how much each type of physical damage (strike, slash, thrust) is reduced when you're hit. Poise is a measure of how resistant you are to getting staggered after being hit.

As is true of ALL stats in Dark Souls II, bigger numbers are better. That said, it's not worth worrying about small differences like those between your character's stats and Vinny's character's stats -- you're both more or less the same.

In general, the most effective way to stay alive in Dark Souls II is to avoid taking direct hits (e.g. by rolling or blocking with a shield) rather than counting on having high defense stats to soak up damage. If you say you're not having too much trouble, then you must be doing things right for your play style.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@savage:

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I've kept my equipment load under 70% so I do dodge quite a bit as well.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

In Dark souls 2 I experimented and upgraded armor +1 early, and then felt it was wasted. I just rolled with the good armor sets given me till the end, where I wore some specialty armor and upgraded to +2 to survive a blow if it landed. I could have better understanding of the numbers, but it seemed to work. whereas in DS 1 I tanked out.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

One thing you should know is that leveling progression is a lot different from DS to DS2. In DS you typically end the game around level 70 to 90. In DS2 it's typically from 130 to 150. Levels in DS2 cost a lot less so you can level often. Also, I haven't seen Vinny's run but it's my understanding that he used the best poise gear in the game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JasonR86

@mosespippy:

I didn't get too far in DS. In DS 2 I'm at the Iron Keep and am at level 110.

DrMechano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Only time you're going to want to upgrade your armour is if you're PvPing or if you've already got the rest of your gear maxed out (because you might as well spend those shards/large shards/chunks on something) and that's about it. As mentioned a 100% physical block shield and learning to roll/dodge are more important.

I've only upgraded my armour on 1 character who is my DLC prep character (currently in regular game at SL 170 due to doing some stuff with bonfire ascetics to get the +2 versions of the Ring of Blades and Clorainthy ring) with the plan to be to have overlevelled the DLC so I can try to solo the 'challenge' route they have planned (which is designed for Co-op play).

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.