Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls II

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Mar 11, 2014

Blood, souls, and tears are continually spent as players traverse the land of Drangleic in FromSoftware's third entry in the Souls series.

What kind of build are you gonna go for?

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

All strength all the time!

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm probably going to focus on doing a dex/agility build, so I can dual wield and dodge like there's no tomorrow.

rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i will do either:

Sorcery with the moonlight greatsword(i hope it is in this game also) or

STR build with heavy armor and a bigass weapon(pref a great axe)

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Krullban

Dual swordsman all the way.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DEX weapons most likely, I'll probably try to pump up AGI just to see how it works at high numbers.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

Probably some sort of dexterity build. That shit was deadly in Dark Souls.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By pyrodactyl

Mage ass mage for my first character. I like the glass cannon approach. Here's hopping it's less broken and I don't end up killing bosses in 2 hits this time around though.

Strength faith build after that.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@rand: MLGS is in everything From Software makes, not just the Souls games.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By automatontribe

I'm not sure, they haven't even announced all of the classes yet. But the sorceror looks cool with it's more schamanic, pagan priest type aesthetic.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

quality build with lots of agility, stamina and no vitality or defence. never get hit and hit back harrrrrd

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glass canon mage, probably.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

I played the network test beta thing and I didn't like any of the builds they had there. The Souls games make for terrible demos...

My main character in Dark Souls was a heavy pyromancer with a giant axe/sword and the Eagle Shield. The changes in spells, movement, and stat allocation are likely going to mess with how I actually play this game though.

It's a dumb thing, but the beta somehow made me less excited. It's an unfinished part of an unfinished game, so I know that cognitively, but I didn't like some of the changes that were shown in the interface and stuff. I'm sure the final game will be great but man...took the wind out of my sails for it. It's illogical of me.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

I tried dual-wielding greatswords with the knight during the beta test and, as dumb as that was, it was a ton of fun. So I think I'll go all strength and try some sort of dual-wielding with that.

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By chrissedoff

Probably high armor, big shield. That's the way I played the first one and I'd much rather keep playing that way than start doing somersaults all over the place like a lunatic.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By korwin

The more I can roll and move around quickly the better so DEX/END goooo

Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dual swordsman, I'll probably attempt to dual wield katanas if at all possible.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

probably what i always do, low armor, high mobility with shield + 1 handed weapon. Though i'd like to try a dual wield ninja build for once...

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long sword knight with some faith as always

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I want to try out a Str build and use a greatsword ...but ill probably go with a dex build again to play it safe first time through.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably going to go for a balanced "Jack-of-all-trades" approach at first and then fall into line with the style i like the most.

My favorite build in Dark Souls was a quality build with a decent chunk of faith for some miracles like heal (which were handy to save estas flasks and for utllity). My favorite weapon BY FAR was the long sword so, yeah. Leaning towards something similar if the game lets me.

Gimme a longsword, a shield, some medium armor and some utility with miracles (MAYBE a bow) and i should be ok.

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By announakis

I will probably end up as always with some light armored, fast moving claymore/bastard sword wielding character. The claymore type sword I tried with the dual swordsman in the demo felt really good (much better than any other weapon in the demo but a large margin) with move set that was largely satisfying.

But I am also really interested in getting a mage this time since magic looks and feel really good this time around with the ability to aim spells, heavy / light charged spell versions...and spells that actually look good, not just silly light bulbs being thrown slowly at your opponent...soul greatsword? YES!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By McShank

Fuck a build, I'ma beat this game like I should have beat dark souls.. level 10-19 and backstab EVERYTHING! Builds take to long and I am restricted on the time I can just die. I want to die every way possible while platinuming the game as fast as possible. I did I believe within a week of launch last game. Going for 3 days.

announakis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcshank you platinumed dark souls in a week at launch? really? I find it really hard to believe considering how much freaking time it took me to platinum the game 2 years after launch when all tricks where known and documented, needing all rare weapons on the same character to start with meaning that you need to beat the game at least twice with the same character to get all soul weapons...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon's Souls, I played a straight-sword wielding, magic flinging, DEX-INT build. I told myself I'd try something different for Dark Souls and eventually gravitated towards a straight-sword wielding, magic flinging, DEX-INT build. Maybe I'll try something different this time around, but I wouldn't count on it.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#75  Edited By Aegon

I dunno....

V-Bomb will obviously get the job done (at a slow, lumbering [yet still imposing!] pace).

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#76  Edited By mike

@announakis said:

@mcshank you platinumed dark souls in a week at launch? really? I find it really hard to believe considering how much freaking time it took me to platinum the game 2 years after launch when all tricks where known and documented, needing all rare weapons on the same character to start with meaning that you need to beat the game at least twice with the same character to get all soul weapons...

I find it a little hard to swallow as well, but I know there are people out there who are way better at games and who are more dedicated and have more time to spend on them than I do. A Platinum in Dark Souls involves:

• Beating the game twice for both endings
    • Acquiring all rare weapons, sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles
    • Discovering all covenenats
    • Upgrading each class of weapon to maximum

This takes a minimum of 2.5 playthroughs. While theoretically possible, a week after launch seems extremely unlikely. This is especially true because there are quite a few missable trophies and without guides to refer to at launch, they almost certainly would have been missed, or at least it would have been unknown how to find them. Trophies like Prayer of a Maiden and Bond of a Pyromancer are not easy to get unless you know exactly what to look for, and where and when to do it. Plus, the Knight trophy...I have hundreds of hours into Dark Souls and still never got it.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Clonedzero

Gonna start as a quality build (balanced str/dex), standard sword/shield combo. aiming for mid roll. The great thing about quality builds is they're real easy to take into different directions later on. Versatility is key, don't want to over specialize till im more familiar with the game.

Oh and enough faith to get a heal miracle. That shit is useful.

EDIT- wow i forgot i replied to this thread over a month ago and said pretty much the same thing.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since Demon's Souls I've done my first runthrough as a magician/sorcerer. Vicious bosses, here comes another glass cannon!

It's gonna be great/bullshit.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Since I never got deep into magic on any of my Dark Souls builds I'm probably gonna try out magic in DS2. I really enjoy running around with huge weapons though, so it might end up being a weird build..

HorseFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dex & Hex, baby

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By Dixavd

I'm going to do what seems cool relative to whatever equipment drops. Go with the flow baby. In Dark Souls I focused on a heavy knight that can do a little pyromancy and some healing miracles between fights. My favourite armor was the Black Iron Set because I find strong black Knights really impressive (and I'm not so into the horns of the actual Black Knight Set). So maybe I'll do the same thing.

Though when I played Dark Souls I tried out almost everything to some degree. I finished at Soul level 120-ish but at any given moment half of those stats would be wasted on the build I was currently playing as not using them. So I'll probably end up doing that. Basically, I like playing around with different ideas and being able to be versatile over min/maxing.

BigManStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By BigManStomp

Two swords. Always be dual wielding and what not. I kind of was sold as soon as they mentioned that it was going to be a viable tactic.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Capum15

I wanna keep throwing fireballs if that's still a thing.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Strength and Poise

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Steadying

Probably some sort of warrior guy. That's what I play in almost every RPG because I'm the most boring person on earth.

that said it's super tempting to go all intelligence ever since I watched some LPer play through the game like that and he was eventually just fucking 2 shotting all the bosses. Magic combat in games is almost always super boring, though.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Rafaelfc

Strength cheesemeister

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No idea. Maybe a quality build so I can meet most str and dex requirements just to try most weapons out? Once I get a feel for the game I'll probably go dex/faith or dex/int though.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undecided between a dex build with either a rapier (ricard's rapier ftw!), or a katana, with a bow on the side (see how many mobs you can cheese kill by sniping!), or with a str greatsword build.

Either way I want to be encased in a full suit of armour. Love the black iron set from dark souls.

MikeLemmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

I want to try a Dex/Agi dual-wield/bow ranger-build, just to see how well they improved those for the sequel. And because I'm a masochist.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Quality, heavy on the Dexterity probably.

Not sure how it will work out yet, but I'm just gonna play blind on the first run, then use a guide to pick up any trophies I missed. Actually, for my first build I intend to over-level as much as possible, I'll even glitch levels if I can after I get to NG+, to play around with as many systems as I can. I'll start by aiming for a basic quality build, but it won't be until my second build that I'll actually care about carefully planning my stats to a solid Quality-Dex.

That first character is always an experimenting thing. Got nine other slots for tailored builds.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#91  Edited By golguin

I'm going with a fast dex build so I'm hoping Dark Soul 2 offers a nice variety of dex weapons.

I preferred the speed and moveset of the Uchigatana over all other weapon in Dark Souls, but I did dabble with several other weapons in PVP. The Great Scythe is fun to use against someone who doesn't know how to deal with it's speed and range, but it's too easy to punish against someone that knows how it works. The Great Lord Greatsword is as heavy as I got in PVP and it's surprising to see how many people would fall into it's stun lock, but it isn't very good against faster builds. I recently gave Ricard's Rapier a shot because I wanted to try its Double RT Blademoon Nuke and it's super effective against weapons with a slow speed (you can dish out the whole combo between any heavy swing), but it's terrible in 1v2 and 1v3 situations.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm going to find the biggest sword I can, the biggest shield I can, the heaviest armor I can, and fat-roll my way to victory.

I know some people dislike the heavy tank/hulk smash approach but it is extremely satisfying to make enemies go *crunch* and *splat*. I want to swing a giant slab of iron so that I may rip and tear through my enemies.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I like dodging and katanas, so dex build.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#94  Edited By Humanity

The cheapest one possible.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Went DEX in DS1, so this time I'm going for the biggest baddest sword I can find and two handing it. Also, I've never cast a single spell or use a single pyromancie in either of the Souls games. So there.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Light armor with a bow, sword and shield.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#97  Edited By HH

i did Demon's with a dex build, did Dark with a strength, this time i have to go with a caster, even though i'm relatively inexperienced with spells, save for a sorceror i brought through The Tower of Latria in Demon's and that was like four years ago.

would it even make sense to level up both INT and FAITH? is that a waste of time?

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the Knight's Greatsword in he network test so I think I'll go either two handed with that and lots of agility or perhaps see how viable bows are.

It was nice to have something ranged with Pyromancy in Dark Souls so if you can pump agility and dex/str to do big damage with a bow that would have a similar effect probably.

Either way I think Agility will be the main thing I go after off the bat.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#99  Edited By TobbRobb

@hh: We don't know for sure if that would be a waste yet. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not optimal for min/maxing though. Only reason I can think off the top of my head is if there are some good low faith requirement spells you could sidetrack into getting. Utility isn't bad no matter what build you are going if it's low investment.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I want a fast sword and a pointy halberd so whatever stats allow me to use those - dump everything else into Endurance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.