I've been racking my brain lately over what the hell that black, sentient deformity is that sporadically shows itself in the game. Since I cannot find any dialogue or item descriptions that cover this "corruption," I'm more than curious on what everyone here thinks.
My observations (which hopefully provide context clues to someone smarter than me):
- The corruption only shows up on three different enemies
- Iudex Gundyr (not champion Gundyr)
- Skeleton-knife dudes
- The two Lothric dragons
- It typically manifests above/on the back of enemies. The only other location it manifests is on the feet of the two Lothric dragons.
- It has red eyes (indicating being in "fury mode")
- The only place where the corruption doesn't transform and manifest out of a normal enemy is in the King's Consumed Garden. Everywhere else it appears, it is lying dormant and manifesting out of enemies.
- It mostly appears in the Lothric area. However, if you consider the Untended Graves a sort of time-space loop, then it could be argued that the Cemetery of Ash is behind an alternate version of the Consumed King's Garden, which would make it 100% Lothric as far as location.
I feel like this enemy type is important to the narrative somehow since the game makes their appearance somewhat of an exclamation point in the gameplay. Also, are there any spells/pyromancies that duplicate this corruption? If so, does its item description lend any clues?
Looking forward to Giant Bomb gumshoes cracking this one open.