Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

Should I play Dark Souls II waiting for III to come out?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By jamin

Okay so I really want to play dark souls should I play dark souls 2 or hold out and wait for 3? I am afraid if I play 2 now ill be tired by the time 3 comes out. I have beaten 2 on the PS3 and never played the DLC and I would be playing it on the PS4

thejams1138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The dlc for 2 consist of some of the best areas and bosses in that game, also adds significantly to the overall lore

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

The DLC is easily the best part of Dark Souls II. Easily. If you're familiar enough with the game, and can make your way up to that point fairly quickly, I'd say go for it. It's very different from the main game, and honestly, any previous Dark Souls experience, as the developers really go out of their way to mess with your expectations. Some stuff in there that I smile just thinking about. I love it to pieces, and I can't see how playing through such terrific content can do anything but make you more excited for the upcoming game.

By the by, the right time to start doing said content is more or less by the time you meet Vendrick, as returning to him after completing the last boss of each 3 DLC packs net you additional lore, and finally, the true ending to the game. If you feel like it'd be a slog to get up that point, then maybe hold off until DS 3 and return to the DLC at some point in the future. But make sure you do, because it is so god damn good.

Alternatively, Salt and Sanctuary is really good.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I recommend playing all the Souls games. People are insistent that certain entries are inferior but that's a matter of taste and you really need to try them all to see where your taste lies. If you get burnt out by 3 you can always come back to it later. Fun now is better than fun tomorrow.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I'm still slogging my way through Bloodborne but I'm hoping to be able to tackle DSII before I hit DSIII. I didn't get super far (never got past Pursuer early on, but I beat a couple of other bosses in another direction). I'm a bit worried that the upgrade to Scholars of the First Sin will have made the game a bit more difficult than I'm willing to deal with, but I guess I'll find out?

jamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@rorie: Ya I got through the normal release of the game totally forgot about the enemy placement being different in Scholars of the First Sin Edition.

tackystuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I got to Iron Keep and then started over when SotFS came out. I found SotFS to be slightly easier than the original layout. The Pursuer was one of the bosses that was really difficult for me early on, but eventually you'll realize he's pretty easy to parry and during riposte will freeze long enough to ballista in the face. The rest of the game is absolutely worth seeing, especially the DLC.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By NeverGameOver

Yes play the DLC. It's hard as balls but really good.

@rorie You'll be okay. The Pursuer was my biggest hurdle in DS2. Once I took him down, I found the rest of the game to be manageable, at least until I hit the DLC and the challenge areas.

I didn't actually find SotFS harder than vanilla DS2 overall. There are certain places that are harder in SoTFS (Heide's Tower) but it's actually easier in other areas (mostly late game). In fact, despite DS2 being my first souls game, I still found DS1 to be more difficult. I would advise you against a pure dex build this time though because I know you had trouble finding a good weapon during your first playthrough. Strike damage is king in Ds2, so as a first playthrough, I would suggest a strength build.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd say wait. DS II is awesome, but the complete Scholar edition is such a beefy game that it would suck to rush through. Although you beat it and might know how to fly through, you might be risking franchise fatigue at that point.

So yeah, I'd say come back later in the year.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By MezZa

Wait for 3. It's almost here, and 2 isn't that spectacular anyway. Would be a shame to get burned out on 2 right when 3 is coming out.

If you did get tired, sure you could play 3 later in the year, but part of the fun of dark souls is being here for the mystery of everything at release. You can always come back to 2 later.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Scholar planning to do the same thing as I only got halfway through vanilla on PS3 but I decided to just watch a playthrough instead. I felt like if I got hung up on that game I'd burn out before the game I really want to play comes out.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@rorie: The Pursuer is an optional boss fight! And you don't have to do anything crazy to get around him, just go through Heide's Tower of Flame.

GordonDaniels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I say play it. The dlc is really fantastic, and the remixed enemy and item placement is a neat way to breathe a little new life into a game you've already played.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait on it. There's not enough time before the new release to give Dark Souls II the time it deserves. Come back to it later when you're itching for more Dark Souls again.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should play it and the DLC at some point. I'm in the lesser populated camp that thinks DS2 is a better game then DS1 (though both are great, put down the pitchforks) so I'd encourage anyone to play 2.

thavralex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are coming into the series completely new, and you fear burning out, play Dark Souls. I loved DS2, but DS1 is still the better game in pretty much every regard. There are some quality-of-life changes from 1 to 2, as one might expect from a sequel. However, in this case those changes are fairly few and do not nearly make up the difference in overall quality between the games.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait on it. DS3 is so close not point of chancing getting fatigue this close.

serius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By serius

I'm bias in my response as a massive souls fan, I got the platinum trophy for all 3 in 2 weeks recently in a preparation challenge for 3 (I played 1 and 2 on PC so wanted to get them done on consoles too).

How much time do you have to game atm? I ask because it doesn't take too long to make your way through the story and even less considering you have done it before so I don't see it being much of a time sink for you, so why not.

Also @rorie I really enjoyed the SoTFS version. I played that in my platinum run and it made it a much more fresher experience and is a much better version of the game without being much more difficult at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

You're probably going to get a lot of responses appraising the quality of Dark Souls II, which is actually probably missing the point. Ultimately, you're risking series burn out no matter what game you play leading into Dark Souls III.

They're all extremely gratifying, but emotionally and cognitively draining experiences. I'd recommend simply waiting for Dark Souls III and working your way backward from there.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

As someone who played a ton of From Softwares games and beaten each game multiple times, I say just wait. I always appreciate each game more after having a big break, and is probably why I'm still having trouble with going back to Bloodborne after tackling it right away, after doing most of the DSII DLC. I just got burnt out.

That said, it had almost been enough of a break to hopefully get back into it, then see it through, go back and finish the DLC in DSII and maybe do some more DLC in Bloodborne to keep changing it up and also keep it fresh.

I won't be ready for III for at least another year I'm guessing, so I don't see the point in buying it right away (for me). If you're not burnt out, I say wait for 3 and then enjoy the carp out of it, otherwise do your own thing. Everyone's different.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Dark Souls II is a good game, but I might not want to play that and Dark Souls III back to back. You might burn out if you try something like that.

Avatar image for atomicpineapple
    atomicpineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By atomicpineapple

I really don't like Dark Souls II, which seems to put me in the minority in this thread. If you're looking for a Souls-y fix, I can't recommend Salt and Sanctuary enough. Also, depending on your schedule you might not want to have to rush through DSII before April, especially if you're doing all the DLC.

VincentAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Souls games in general are just great and I particularly like Scholar of the First Sin. The XBone/Ps4 version is excellent and well worth playing. If you're the kind of person that doesn't mind playing games in parallel, I say go for it. I'm currently playing all of the Souls games at once.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been making my way through the Dark Souls II DLC these past few days. It's very good and way harder than the main game (which is not that hard all things told)

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

From the reviews I've read, DS3 apparently riffs on DS1 and Bloodborne in a lot more ways than DS2, mechanically, lore-wise, and with environments, if it considers DS2 at all.

I have a serious bias against 2, as good as the DLC was. The Core game is so gaaaaaaah.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If this is still an open question then you should play Darks Souls II first if you don't plan on getting Dark Souls III at launch. You can get the complete edition now at a reasonable price.

If you do plan on playing Dark Souls III at launch or in the near future then just play that first, you don't want to burn out.

They are all a little different mechanically so it probably doesn't matter if you play then out of order.

You should 100% play it though, Dark Souls II is great.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jinoru said:

From the reviews I've read, DS3 apparently riffs on DS1 and Bloodborne in a lot more ways than DS2, mechanically, lore-wise, and with environments, if it considers DS2 at all.

I have a serious bias against 2, as good as the DLC was. The Core game is so gaaaaaaah.

Dark Souls 3s consideration of Dark Souls 2 is maybe just one small step above the consideration that Ken Levine had for Bioshock 2.

Sogeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

no

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RonGalaxy

I'm facing a similar dilemma. I'm going to wait to see more dark Souls 3 coverage before I decide which to play first. Well, technically I did start playing ds2, but didn't get far into it. Not because I didn't like it, but because I had just finished ds1 before it came out and felt burnt out on that type of game. Then a year later bloodborne came out and I loved the hell out of it! It's been a year since that came out, so I'm ready for more soulsian fun!

Side note: is it just me or does ds2 feel like it's character animation is noticeably different than the other Souls games? When I look at the character movement of ds1 vs bloodborne I can easily see the connection. When I compare ds2 to any of the other games (even ds3) it looks a tad bit different. It's not a bad thing, it's just weird. It's like they tried something different, then doubled back on it. Little things like that make ds2 feel like such an outlier in the Souls continuum.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rongalaxy: It has a very "So you think you know how to play Souls?" feel to it. You think you know how fast you can heal and what you can get away with.. now you don't. You know that you're locked into that backstab and safe.. now you aren't. So on and so forth.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RonGalaxy

@efesell: I'm not even talking about that kind of stuff. I mean more like basic animations like walking, running, rolling, etc look and feel different. I think youre right when you say they made those kinds of changes to fuck with our expectations. It's unfortunate that they, seem to, have done away with that in the newer games. They fuck with expectations in different ways, but nothing as fundamental as how the character carries itself throughout the world.

thewalkingdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's worth playing for the dlc alone. The boss and world design in general are the weakest among all the Soulsborne games but the vanilla version of the game, Scholar or not, has a few memorable parts. Majula is still my favorite hub in the series for example. It had the best build variety in the series until just recently, which made going through the game multiple times fun to do.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure the variety is there in Dark Souls 2 but that game will forever be a game about Maces to me. There's even a moment in 3 that I swear is a joke about that build.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Maluvin

I started plowing through DS2 again recently. Up through the pursurer was rough but once I got past that hump it's been flying and a lot of fun. Have to say I've been surprised how much I'm enjoying it again. I remember liking DS2 but not necessarily loving it when it released but this time around I'm finding it to be incredibly relaxing. Maybe that's from coming off of Bloodborne which I also enjoyed but had a speed and frenzy to it that makes DS2 feel much slower and more deliberate.

The DLC is the main thing I want to see to the point I'm holding off on DS3 until I'm done with the DLC.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

I've been wondering the exact same thing in terms of whether or not to jump on to Dark Souls 3 or try out Dark Souls 2 on PS4. I beat Bloodborne and had a blast with it. However, I've never played any of the Dark Souls games.

At this point...I just want to jump into something that will be the most accessible for a beginner to the series. I'm not sure which that is at this point, even after watching tons of video and reading about each game.

liljerms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through Dark Souls, then Bloodborne, and then about half of DS2 Scholar. It's a great looking game but I got pretty frustrated with it. From what people are saying though I should probably go back to it at some point and check out that DLC..

If you haven't played Dark Souls, I'd say play that for sure.. for me personally it's one of my top games of all time. Play on PC with the hi-res mods if you can, it looks great. Bloodborne's good too, but there's something magical about DS that the other two didn't quite capture.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.