Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls III

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Mar 24, 2016

This game melds elements from all previous Souls games and concludes the Dark Souls trilogy.

What do you make of all the references/fan-service?

• 59 results
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I disliked it quite a bit. I was looking forward to fighting Aldrich, the big pile of ooze from the opening cinematic, and got a recycled reference to Dark Souls 1 instead.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By mems1224

I dont remember anything about Dark Souls and didn't like Dark Souls 2 so never finished it so none of the references bother me. Other than some familiar items and a few characters I haven't noticed much.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By militantfreudian

@gunslingerpanda: Really? I just beat him today and I thought that this was one of the cooler twists in the game; seeing the crown and reading "Devourer of Gods" next to his name. When I saw him in the intro, I figured he'd be a puzzle boss or Phalanx-like, but he turned out to be my favorite spell-caster boss in the entire series. I also fail to see how this is a recycled reference.

Edited.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm pretty sure it's called lore and continuity. It's part of the narrative. I've never heard that sort of stuff referred to as "fan service". It's like reading an American History book and complaining that it's full of George Washington fan service.

rubberluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@golguin:

Plus it's mentioned numerous times that time, space and reality are fucked up in the Dark Souls world. Things happening at the same time, people appearing in the past or the future. Plus, countless Gods and other powerful beings fucking with everything, unleashing shit on accident or on purpose, corrupting entire locations.

The whole series in built on things being out of place or appearing where they shouldn't.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Shindig

I thought the stuff surrounding Aldrich wound up making me giddy and I really, really hope there's some pay-off. I thought the build-up was well-executed, as well. "Hey, this kinda looks like ... Are they doing this? <Title Card> "OH, MY!"

And it was brief, which is how they've played most of this.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By paulmako

@golguin said:

I'm pretty sure it's called lore and continuity. It's part of the narrative. I've never heard that sort of stuff referred to as "fan service". It's like reading an American History book and complaining that it's full of George Washington fan service.

It's more about something being lost in a perceived attempt to make fans happy by giving them more of what they know.

It would be more like reading a book about American History and finding early paragraphs on George Washington repeated during the chapter on Vietnam.

But I think they can do it well, if they justify it within the universe. The disconnect for me is that Dark Souls II did this really well while being vague, setting a precedent for them not throwing in overt references.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Shindig

At the same time, this is kinda how sagas try to wrap themselves up. The Godfather did it, Mass Effect did it, Metal Gear Solid did it. Boy, did Metal Gear do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls 2 implied that pretty much everything from the first game has been completely forgotten due to the passage of time, and it's also pretty much explicitly stated that the whole cycle of kindling the first flame has happened over and over. With all of that being stated, the fact that the buildings and even CORPSES of people from Dark Souls 1 are still around is miraculous. I really hope it's explained somehow, otherwise it definitely will feel like fanservice just for the sake of fanservice. I do like the callbacks though, don't get me wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.