Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Buying the PC edition despite owning the console edition ?

• 59 results
    Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By Giantstalker

Yes. PC ports are almost always superior, and I already traded in the console game months ago.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Nentisys

Fuck yea.

Sign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Sign

Like others I am going to avoid it as a Day 1 purchase and wait for some testimonials first. I want to see how it runs and also how it controls. I don't have a gamepad for my PC and don't really care to get one, if this game controls as poor with KB+M as I think it will I will probably skip it and stick to my PS3 copy.

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By p00rdevil

Probably stick with the PS3 version. After 100 hrs all the framerate issues don't bother me like they use to. The game looks sweet on my HDTV and I have even grown use to the save system. I am really more of a PC gamer than console guy, but in this case the PS3 is fine with me. When I am ready for more Dark Souls I will just download the new content to my PS3 and call it good.

Z3RO180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Z3RO180

ill just get the dlc when it comes out

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By envane
    Branwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Branwulf

I pre-ordered as soon as it was up on steam a while ago, i've sunk hundreds of hours into the 360 version and want to support them in bringing it to the PC even if it is a bad port. My hope is that the next Souls game comes out on the PC at launch and is better.

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By RustySanderke

I have the PS3 version and I was seriously considering buying it for PC for the higher frame-rate and resolution, since I've just bought a gaming PC. However, this Eurogamer preview put me right off.

There is bad news which could hit PC gamers pretty hit hard, though. While the frame-rate's rough edges have been filed down, you're still going to be playing at 30FPS out of the box, as widely rumoured. A graphics menu has been added in, but there are no obvious ways to raise the bar to the preferable 60FPS mark. In fact, options are pretty meagre overall on this front; you have the standard resolution and refresh rate settings (it does nothing to solve this), and also check-boxes to remove anti aliasing or motion blur. Barebones and to the point.

There's also something curious about the resolution too in that there's no change in clarity when attempting to crank up the settings. On close inspection, it appears that Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions, regardless of which resolution has been set in the menus. The option provided is for output resolution only; a simple courtesy to allow the game to play on most monitors, but the image quality will always remain the same. In short, PC gamers will very much be getting the genuine console experience here, right down to the pixel.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Sign said:

Like others I am going to avoid it as a Day 1 purchase and wait for some testimonials first. I want to see how it runs and also how it controls. I don't have a gamepad for my PC and don't really care to get one, if this game controls as poor with KB+M as I think it will I will probably skip it and stick to my PS3 copy.

I agree with the first part wholeheartedly. I have to know if the rumors about resolution and framerate are true.

However if you own a controller for your PS3, you also own a gamepad for your PC. Just plug it in like you're charging it, and use DS3 Tools or MotioninJoy to make it emulate Xinput like a 360 controller.

edit: Well if I had read the post directly above mine before posting, I'd have found my answer. Looks like I'm not buying this for PC. From done fucked up. This pretty much ensures it'll get very very few purchases and that will lead From to never porting anything to PC again. Not that it'll be a big loss if their future porting endeavors would be equally half-assed.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.