Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Can I join a new covenant in new game+?

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cubidog1

If I was a Warrior of Sunlight in my first playthrough, can I join any other covenant such as the Darkwraiths in new game+? I haven't played Dark Souls yet, but I don't really want to dedicate to just one covenant when I do play it. Any help is appreciated.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep. You can change covenants whenever.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Cubidog1

I thought there were penalties for switching whenever.

Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aishan

You gain Sin if you switch outright, but if you talk to Oswald of Carim on the Parish belltower you can leave any covenant without penalty.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Karkarov

Yeah you can change any time but there are penalties beyond "sin" depending on a few things. First off .... you lose the levels with that Covenant. So if you rejoin you need to grind your way back to a higher level if needed. Second, many of the miracles/spells the Covenant's grant require active memberships in those Covenants to use them. So if you leave you lose the ability to use those miracles/spells too. I have also never personally confirmed it but you may lose access to the shortcut in Izalith if you leave the daughter of chaos's Covenant. Also you may lose vendor access, again, based on the Covenant. Don't expect Shiva to sell you an Uchigatana if you smack the cat one yo?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

@Karkarov said:

Yeah you can change any time but there are penalties beyond "sin" depending on a few things. First off .... you lose the levels with that Covenant. So if you rejoin you need to grind your way back to a higher level if needed. Second, many of the miracles/spells the Covenant's grant require active memberships in those Covenants to use them. So if you leave you lose the ability to use those miracles/spells too. I have also never personally confirmed it but you may lose access to the shortcut in Izalith if you leave the daughter of chaos's Covenant. Also you may lose vendor access, again, based on the Covenant. Don't expect Shiva to sell you an Uchigatana if you smack the cat one yo?

Once the Izalith shortcut is open it's open for good. Other than that you've pretty much covered everything other than the fact that you can leave the Way of White covenant at anytime without penalty without visiting Oswald.

Cubidog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Cubidog1

Thank you for the help. I think I understand now. I guess I'll just stay with one covenant. I'll probably chooses the Darkwraiths so I can get the red eye orb and invade as much as I please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.