• 142 results
Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Jackel2072

one simple reason this is happening that should sum everything up. 

IT'S JAPAN! 

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By Tennmuerti

I was planning on getting the PC version even after already playing through the game on the PS3.
 But now what would be the point?
The new bosses i'm pretty sure will be patched/dlced into the console version anyway.

Demon/Dark Souls looking like ass technically was always one of my beefs with the games.
The games have some great art design, seeing how that great art looked on the PC was one of the big appeals for me to buy a PC version as well.

This news, plus GFWL pretty much guarantees extremely low sales.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By thornie

@mordukai said:

@Brendan said:

Is there any logical reason for doing this? I'm not looking for justified sarcastic or negative responses, but something from the devs perspective. Does anyone know why it would be in their interest, in any way, to do this?

Probably because...The thing with those games...I'm sure FROM has...Dude I got nothing. Who the fuck knows man. I am gonna say it's because they want all three version to be exactly the same. Also, it's FROM. Who the hell knows the real reason. It does seem odd to have platform with more power and not use it. Maybe it's just lack of experience with PC gaming. Japan is not very well knows for it's PC community.

The only thing I can think of is that the art assets were never designed with 1080p ever in mind. No one knew at the time of designing the game that it would be ported to PC. The same goes for the engine being locked at 30 fps. This port seems to be only for those who don't have a console at all and want desperately to play this game. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that most of us with high end PCs also have at least one of the two major consoles, so again... What were they thinking?

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Okay. I was as stoked for this port as anybody else, but here's a few things we might forget in our haze of nerd rage:

1. Framerates locked at 30 is actually an improvement over Xbox and PS3. Blighttown? Forget about it. Pinwheel servants in Tomb of Giants? Fuck man.
  2. Remember that press release a month or two back promising DLC for PS3/Xbox? You really think they churned out a brand new area that's separate from that DLC?
  3. Chances are high that this game was never intended to come out on PC. I'd love to see Namco/From bust out a full fanservice release for PC gamers, but there's a very fine point where a PC release may not be deemed profitable.
  4. It's shitty, but expecting a game that didn't have PC in mind during the design process to play nice on the platform the way we're used to is a little unrealistic. Sure, they could delay it a year and do it right but then the moment would be gone.
  5. Games for Windows Live: Look, the game was built for Xbox. Much as I'd love to see steam achievements, it's probably a lot easier for the team to work with a similar architecture and roll that way.

The mere fact that they entertained the idea of a PC port in response to a fucking internet petition is goddamn insane. Let's stop and consider how fucked up that is.

A BUNCH OF ASSHOLES ON THE INTERNET TYPED SOME WORDS. SOME OF THOSE ASSHOLES ARE PROBABLY FICTIONAL. THEN A COMPANY MADE A BUSINESS-ASS DECISION BASED ON THESE STRANGE INTERNET-DWELLERS.

I'm still reeling.

Avatar image for bobby_the_great
Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Bobby_The_Great
@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I don't wanna play one of this generations defining masterpiece because it runs in 720p and 30 fps! I'll just bitch and complain and talk about how awesome my PC is and how awesome Dark Souls could have been running in 1080p at 60fps on my amazing 24 horse power processor that didn't cost much and outdates the PS3 by 35 years.

Give me a fucking break.

Bravo. PC nerds drive me fucking crazy. 
asinies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By asinies

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I don't wanna play one of this generations defining masterpiece because it runs in 720p and 30 fps! I'll just bitch and complain and talk about how awesome my PC is and how awesome Dark Souls could have been running in 1080p at 60fps on my amazing 24 horse power processor that didn't cost much and outdates the PS3 by 35 years.

Give me a fucking break.

Bravo. PC nerds drive me fucking crazy.

It boggles the mind to think there are people as ignorant as you to think everyone having a problem with this is a pc gamer.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Karkarov

Maybe you guys don't understand the word "port". Meaning they are taking a pre existing game and making it playable on PC. The game was made with a max resolution of 720p from day one, it never supported a higher resolution, so why would a "port" of that game do so? Oh because the dev's decided it was worth it? Oh wait.... the dev's of the game (From Software) don't make PC games and aren't doing the port either it is some third party company? Then I guess you can forget about seeing things like exclusive content, better textures, etc etc. This was always how it was going to be.

Now frame locking it at 30 fps... that is maybe silly.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Eh, 30fps is kinda lame. Will there be AA and V-Sync?

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#59  Edited By spazmaster666

I doubt very much that From Software would "lock" the resolution of the game at 720p considering that almost all LCD monitors these days are running at 1920x1080 (or 1680x1050 for older 20" monitors). 1280x720 on a 1920x1080 LCD would look terrible regardless of how well the LCD scales. Also, even if they didn't increase the texture resolution, the game would still look better at 1080p than 720p since the engine would be rendering more pixels on screen, giving you a sharper image.

In any case I really hope the 30 FPS thing isn't true. Sure, we'll probably have a workaround like we did with LA Noire and The Force Unleased II, etc. but I would really love to play this game at 2560x1440 at 60FPS on day one (assuming it supports SLI of course).

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By WMWA
@Asinies

@wmaustin55 said:

So you guys bitch about not getting a PORT (keyword there) of this game. Then bitch about it being a PORT. (there's that damn word again)

No, we're bitching about it not being a good port. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

Then speak with your money and don't buy it. An even easier concept to understand. =D
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#61  Edited By eroticfishcake

People are disappointed with how it's coming out but remember this, if this does well on the PC then From might consider releasing the next game on PC. That's assuming that it does well anyway. I'm going to buy it anyway since I use my PC a lot more then my PS3 and I really like the game but it's totally understandable if you're not going to get it. I'm more interested in what comes after.

Edit: Also, forgot to mention, From's Twitter account says that they're listening to the community and wait for news soon so maybe things will turn out better.

FatWhiteLump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FatWhiteLump

It sounds like they don't want our money.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#63  Edited By spiceninja

They're porting it to PC with no extra effort whatsoever. This does not bode well.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

Well the 30fps lock isn't that big of a deal for me as long as it stays consistent. Things like v-sync and AA aren't a problem since I can just force that through my drivers anyway. I've been loving FXAA with those new nvidia beta drivers.

Either way, I'm still excited for it.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By WMWA
@rebgav

Somewhere in the world there is an Ubisoft emergency meeting happening right now. After spending the entire generation making sure that everyone is fully informed about Ubi's utter disdain for the PC audience, Namco are just going to come along and drink their milkshake?! F that, Assassin's Creed 3 will be locked at 15 frames, 480p, and will only be controllable through a Wacom tablet.

This is great haha
Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I assumed as much. I'll wait for a 60 FPS patch. No point in buying the same game twice if it's not improved. Even if the game could run at a resolution higher than 1280x720, the game would probably look pretty mediocre with all the low resolution textures. I still want to see the PC UI, because now I think it's going to just look plain awful.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67  Edited By Marz

hmm, I could understand if they didn't add higher rez textures and stuff, but not being able to render in 1080p+ doesn't sound right... must be lost in translation somewhere.  

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By mordukai

@wmaustin55 said:

@Asinies

@wmaustin55 said:

So you guys bitch about not getting a PORT (keyword there) of this game. Then bitch about it being a PORT. (there's that damn word again)

No, we're bitching about it not being a good port. It's really not that hard of a concept to understand.

Then speak with your money and don't buy it. An even easier concept to understand. =D

True, but people still have the right to complain about it as you have the right to complain about people complaining about it. As a matter of fact both of you are right. There's no reason why it should be a good port, an issue still yet to be seen, and if you're not happy about it then just don't buy it. I'm afraid though that now people will use it as a result to pirate it before buying to see how the game runs on their machine .

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@mordukai: If you don't want people to pirate your game just to "See how it runs on their machine" release a demo.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Binman88

@wmaustin55 said:

@Asinies

@wmaustin55 said:

It's possible to do both y'know! I certainly won't be purchasing the game again (already have it on PS3) now that this news has come to light, and what the hell, I might also state my opinion here and say that I think it's a completely idiotic decision, too. What are forums for, if not for discussing game related topics such as this? Is this not the perfect place for people to voice their concerns? Should we all just keep quiet because some numpty said so? No! Of course not =D

Also, I've witnessed a lot of people (myself included) hoping for (not bitching about) a PC version (keyword there) of Dark Souls. I don't quite remember bitching about anything, but it's easy to put negative spin on anything, isn't it?

So, yeah; forums are for discussions like this. Deal with it, and stop your bitching.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#71  Edited By Draugen

@doobie said:

im going to wait and see how it turns out instead of overreacting and getting angry.

Sir, I hereby banish thee from the internet. You do not belong here.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By mordukai

@artgarcrunkle said:

@mordukai: If you don't want people to pirate your game just to "See how it runs on their machine" release a demo.

I doubt there will be a demo.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By korwin

Well there goes any incentive to pick up the PC version, if it's no different from a technical standpoint then what's the point. I play games on my PC to get the best experience.

MrXD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#74  Edited By MrXD

I think my PC can't handle this game. :(

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Karkarov

@artgarcrunkle said:

The problem is that people who pirate for that reason are really just feeding you a line of BS and were going to pirate it anyway.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@Karkarov said:

@artgarcrunkle said:

The problem is that people who pirate for that reason are really just feeding you a line of BS and were going to pirate it anyway.

Not always. I have a shitty computer with a worthless IntelHD3000 and get stuck having to do that all the time. Systemrequirementslab.com has been wrong about what I can and can't run pretty often and I'm not going to buy a game if I'm not sure it's playable. Sure is easy to villainize pirates who steal from giant companies though.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#77  Edited By benspyda

If the port ran at 60fps 1080p, it would give people who own it on PS3(me) and 360 a reason to buy a better version. But just a solid 30fps isn't worth the repurchase. Anyway the 5fps in Blightown adds to the game I feel for some really weird reason, call me crazy.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By YoThatLimp

@benspyda said:

If the port ran at 60fps 1080p, it would give people who own it on PS3(me) and 360 a reason to buy a better version. But just a solid 30fps isn't worth the repurchase. Anyway the 5fps in Blightown adds to the game I feel for some really weird reason, call me crazy.

This. I already own it, but better textures? Amazingly smooth framerate? I was totally in on buying another copy. Now that I know its a shitty gimped port there is no reason to buy it.

Mattalorian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Mattalorian

Proof that Japan still doesn't understand computers.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By yinstarrunner

I'm about 80% sure that the quote pertaining to resolution is talking about texture resolution, which is not as big a deal as people are making it out to be. I don't see the words 720p anywhere.

Besides, I'm pretty sure there is no way in this day and age to stop PC gamers from playing at the resolutions they want. There will always be a workaround.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By BigChickenDinner

@benspyda said:

It seems to me you can control the camera well enough to keep the fps reasonable for the most part.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By scarace360

30FPS really fuck. I dont think i can play it. It's super weird going from 60FPS to 30FPS.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By mrcraggle

While I'm not too bothered about the game being locked at 30fps as it would mean that Dark Souls would run at a consistent fps rather than bogging down into single digits, I am by the lack of resolution options. I have Viva Pinata on my PC and there is no option for Widescreen outside of 720p and it looks like crap on my monitor and my current monitor is a downgrade from my old one which was 1200p although it did have the worst viewing angles and colours.

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TheKramer89

@Asinies said:

I can't read Japanese at all

Fuckin' noob...

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By WMWA
@Binman88 @mordukai Yeah, you're right. I think I'm more annoyed with the constant hyperbole and overreaction than anything. I'd always rather take the wait and see approach before getting too up and arms. Honestly though, with the new content they're adding in the only thing that sounds weird is that it's locked at 30 fps. I'm sure we'll either get clarification or an explanation eventually
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Jeffsekai

why

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By Animasta

san andreas had the fps locked at 25

D43M0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By D43M0N

@wmaustin55: I think the problem is that the "purist" PC gaming community is one of the most reactionary communities out there. This will simply be used as ammo by companies to not listen to the internet and/or petitions for PC ports in the future; there will be plenty of people not bothering to buy it anymore over one vague statement taken out of context, and when you add in the piracy issues, this is going to make the attractiveness of a PC port even lower for companies. Namco is expecting decentish sales, and hence put out a port with some extra content slapped in. If those sales fail to be realized over this, they're going to blame the community and PC gaming as a whole, and it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to have other publishers follow suit.

The Dark Souls petition always seemed like a bad idea for everyone involved, and now I'm finally seeing why. I'm not blaming the PC gaming community solely (Namco/FromSoftware are putting in zero effort, basically), but the vocal minority that were screaming "Port it! PORT IT!" will now be screaming "Fuck you! FUCK YOU!" and, well, it's not going to end well for anyone involved.

asinies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By asinies

@Animasta said:

san andreas had the fps locked at 25

I don't necessarily see the point you're trying to make.

@D43M0N: I agree that the most vocal people are sometimes assholes, but in all honesty, it was them that brought attention to wanting a port in general. Sometimes, being overly-vocal is better than not being heard at all.

Also, to the people saying that the 720p thing refers to the textures, thank you, I'll update the OP.

D43M0N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By D43M0N

@Asinies: But my point is that being overly vocal at this point will cause pretty irreparable damage to their 'cause' so to speak. Of all the console exclusive games, why choose one from a publisher that has a history of shovelling utter shit onto the platform?

clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By clapperdude

@Asinies said:

Also, to the people saying that the 720p thing refers to the textures, thank you, I'll update the OP.

Just wanted to point out the 'p' in there doesn't make sense when talking about a texture...it stands for 'progressive scan' and only deals with how monitors/tvs handle displaying video.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By emem
@D43M0N said:

@Asinies: But my point is that being overly vocal at this point will cause pretty irreparable damage to their 'cause' so to speak. Of all the console exclusive games, why choose one from a publisher that has a history of shovelling utter shit onto the platform?

Most of your points are off, in my opinion.

Why PC gamers chose Dark Souls? Because they/we want to play Dark Souls, not a different game.

I'm not even going to try to argue with you about anything else you wrote... man, you write everything like your opinion is a fact, but it's not. Even if you are 100% sure about something it doesn't mean that you are right.
RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I really wanted to play this.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Pinworm45

@wmaustin55 said:

How fucking dare we not grovel at the feet of a business delivering us a substandard product

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#95  Edited By NekuSakuraba

The fuck?

Famitsu better be trolling, cause that shit won't slide.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By WMWA
@Pinworm45 You still sound like a whiny baby. You guys wanted a port, you got a fuckin' port.
Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Karkarov

@wmaustin55 said:

@Pinworm45 You still sound like a whiny baby. You guys wanted a port, you got a fuckin' port.

Stop bothering, they didn't want a port they wanted a special little cupcake with their name on it and sugar sprinkles. Porting the game without making it the "superior version of the game" was never going to be good enough, and in truth the whiny self entitled losers who think of themselves as "pc elitists" were never going to be satisfied anyway. Which is why I never signed the original petition and said it was a bad idea from day one.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Pinworm45

@wmaustin55 said:

I never once whined about it. I said to myself "oh, okay" and then decided to nolonger purchase the game because I am not interested in substandard products when there are better products on the market.

The entire idea that we should be grovelling, thankful for any scrapings, and completely ignoring the fact that they are not delivering a quality product is repulsive. I have no idea why you seem to think their product is immune to criticism, or why you think we should not be allowed to express our opinion or dissatisfaction, but it's weird. Maybe you're really young and still operate under the delusion that "I am a fan of X therefor X is infallible". I have no idea. But it's pretty weird.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@wmaustin55 said:
Yes the manly thing to do is to not have any standards or demands as a paying customer and a potential future fan. Just to bend over and take whatever a developer or publisher throws at me, pay the money with a smile on my face and tell myself the flaws of the game are "Alright, no big deal." 

You are very manly.
clapperdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By clapperdude

They are still selling a product here. Its not really that crazy for consumers to expect better for the money they spend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.