Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dark Souls Remastered

• 72 results
    mefipulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wow..... what a mess

Console scrubs probably love this version (rightfully so)

PC scrubs will be like "$20 patch" (rightfully so)

pros:
    better lighting and sparkly stuff
    6 player pvp
    revived pvp playerbase
    dedicated servers!!!!
    |draw distance (omg valley of drakes you can totally see the drakes on the bridge even from a distance)
    multiplayer healing items balanced
    UI scaling option
    original bugs, glitches, core gameplay, and feel largely intact

cons:
    original bugs, glitches, core gameplay, and feel largely intact
    $20 patch
    framerate worse than dark souls 3
    dedicated servers!!!!!!....... for matchmaking. after that it's still p2p. please enjoy your lagstabs!
    game speed is now tied to framerate (drops in framerate slows the game instead of skipping frames)(ie: you're gonna die a lot to bullshit you can no longer predict)
    random frame pauses during online/autosave synching
    hacking is rampant, same old hacks/griefing works
    merely connecting with a hacker can potentially get you softbanned
    original "prepare to die" edition removed from steam storefront and can no longer be purchased (hopefully temporary)
    no mods allowed
    $20 patch

I think they missed a huge opportunity here to repackage and tweak Dark Souls for Current Year. It feels like a half assed port of a port that barely justifies the (ymmv) $20-$40 price tag. I think if you never played it before, or only on console, this release will seem great, but anyone else will probably be pretty bummed out. At least we can look forward to the re-release of Demon's Souls and be able to play it on PC in like 2 years? Yeah probably about 2 years.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be happy to (eventually) have it on PS4 but this sounds like a PC nightmare release.

mefipulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just noticed the quick look is coming in 7 hours. Also the game was released a day early and call me crazy but has any video game been released early that wasn't at least a lukewarm mess?

seriously most movies that release early are hot garbage and get released early for a reason, and the only games i remember being released early were because street date was broken so they said fuck it, but do street dates even exist anymore for video games?

DTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the Remastered a better version of the game compared to Dark Souls: Prepare to Die?

Because if so, I'll pick it up. I've been looking for a reason to play through Dark Souls again.

If it's somehow a worse version... I guess I'll go through the hassle of doing dsfix and all that back on the Prepare to Die edition.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dts: It runs at a solid 60 constantly (apparently even in blighttown though I haven't got there yet myself), it's revitalised the player base, and I haven't personally encountered any bugs or crashes.

Its weird that all my complaints would be directed at how it looks. Lighting is downright odd in so many places. Lighter than it should be in dark areas and vice versa, weird blue highlights/edging on weapons and armour, and no real work done to textures.

If I didn't get the discount for owning Prepare to Die and didn't have enough steam wallet credit I couldn't see myself paying for this.

mefipulate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dts: I'd say if you're looking for an excuse, pick it up early while theres some crazy multiplayer to be had.

with dsfix, if you already own dark souls, it's literally pasting a file from a zip to your game directory, its hardly a "hassle", but maybe thats worth $20, or even $40. ymmv.

granted Remaster does more than just charge you $20 for dsfix, but with the removal of Prepare to Die edition from the Steam store, and the loss of mods (modding Remastered will get you softbanned), I guess thats a decision you... cant make anymore, and the amazing array of mods aren't available to you either and never will be. Unless they re-list PtDe or package it with Remastered (like sane people would)

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By handlas

@acidbrandon18: yaaaa... Lol. But also as much as I love the original Dark Souls it looks like this is a slimey cash grab... No thanks

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By Justin258

I already have the Prepare to Die edition and have never had a problem with that one, outside of having to install DSFix and falling through the floor at that one ladder because I slid down it instead of climbed down it.

The coverage I've seen of this one has been entirely on consoles and there, it looks pretty great and seems to run very smoothly, but I don't really see myself buying it on one of those.

What I really want to see is the Switch version. Would be cool to play Dark Souls wherever I want to, but I'm not going to buy that one until I see how well it runs. It would also be fantastic if tapping the sleep button on the Switch actually paused the game without messing things up.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought I was on 4chan reading this OP.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never even considered getting it on PC. Can't rightfully imagine why anyone would. It's been great on console though!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

You know you're in for a good one when the op begins their post calling everyone scrubs.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By soulcake

I think the light model is worse imo. Also it would have being nice if they added some new items/gear or at least changed gear location.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I played a bit and its just DSfix essentially, what blew my mind is they got rid of the ladder sliding, the one thing that messed up the DSfix, so they're not really doing any work here. I had to mod my game to run, and now i have to pay for it to run with a slight graphical upgrade? Reaaaally rubbed me the wrong way as a massive DS fan.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

You know you're in for a good one when the op begins their post calling everyone scrubs.

Yeah. The word "scrub" in regards to people is dumb enough, but applying it as a derogative term for a sub-set of people that enjoy the same thing as you in a different manner is absolutely stupid.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played about an hour on PC and encountered no issues, ran and looked perfectly fine for me.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjweatherman said:

Yeah. The word "scrub" in regards to people is dumb enough, but applying it as a derogative term for a sub-set of people that enjoy the same thing as you in a different manner is absolutely stupid.

Seems ironic, clearly.

draw distance (omg valley of drakes you can totally see the drakes on the bridge even from a distance)

I've been looking for a video showing off the draw distance but youtube is flooded with playthroughs. Would anyone be able to point me toward one?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry if that post reads to rude, I just really don't like the phrase.

Everything about the DS remaster seems underwhelming, but I hold hope for the Switch ports performance - cause I just want to play it in bed/on the toilet.

mrbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I"m playing this on the PC and I"m having a bug that I've never had before with the original where my controller will stop working at random points. When it happens the controller still works in other games but not DSR.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ivdamke

@gtb08: Ladder sliding is still in you just need to stop and hold circle.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@efesell: it’s so mind boggling that after a botched original port, they had community members come in and fix the game for them, and now years later they STILL release an inferior product.

lovcol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they should remake the entire game so people who already played it can have a "fresh" experience? Sounds asking a bit much...

Avatar image for evilmonkeyslayer
    EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this a yay or nay buy on the pc?

I own the original on pc and only played a bit, I figure I could play it at 4k (GTX 1060 can prob handle that) and get it cheap because I own the prepare to die edition. I was always anxious when using dsfix that it'd break something.

Only soulsborne game I've completed was Bloodborne, I just sort of fell off Dark Souls 3 although I did get pretty far.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilmonkeyslayer: DS3 is probably the best Dark Souls game. I’ve heard parts of the DLC aren’t half bad either.

EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I guess because I played DS3 after BB I played DS3 quite a bit like Bloodborne, I really liked that faster pace and more aggressive play of it. And I think it's why I gradually just stopped playing DS3 as you just can't consistently play it like BB.

Bloodborne has forever spoiled me.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@evilmonkeyslayer: To parrot something I said on the QL comments, if you're after Dark Souls at 60fps with no hassle or bugs then pick up the remaster. Otherwise, I actually think a DSFix'd game rendering at 4k (with no other mods) looks better, but I've not done any side by side comparisons yet.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilmonkeyslayer: can’t blame you. I’ve played all the Douls games and beat them all and I think Bloodborne is my favorite. The art design is just spectacular and the smaller weapon variety surprisingly sort of helped me concentrate on just playing the game instead of worrying about roll speed, weight or whatever.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just curious if there are any secrets that have been snuck into this remastered edition.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, just to start off, I love this game. So much. I am happy to pay for it again with a better framerate on the Xbox One X just because I like it that much and playing the old version with that busted ass framerate sucks.

Having said that, I don't read much about this game. Is the internet in agreement that Blighttown even with a good framerate is just bad? Like, it's just BAD level design. It's confusing in a not good way with bad enemies and poison and it's just kind of all of the things about souls games that are frustrating and not fun. I have played this game enough to know where I need to go but no enough (apparently) to still not get lost and then tripped up in the geometry and die. It's fucking irritating for a game that otherwise I adore. I feel like I always gloss over this part of my adulation because it ends up being a relative blip on the radar but in the moment, woof.

Cramsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ps4 scrub here. Can't wait to re-play this!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@sethmode said:

Having said that, I don't read much about this game. Is the internet in agreement that Blighttown even with a good framerate is just bad? Like, it's just BAD level design. It's confusing in a not good way with bad enemies and poison and it's just kind of all of the things about souls games that are frustrating and not fun. I have played this game enough to know where I need to go but no enough (apparently) to still not get lost and then tripped up in the geometry and die. It's fucking irritating for a game that otherwise I adore. I feel like I always gloss over this part of my adulation because it ends up being a relative blip on the radar but in the moment, woof.

Nah, Blighttown is still terrible even at a pristine 60 frames-per-second. Certainly, all of the other souls games have their own take on the "Hey, there's poison and shit everywhere" area, but I still think it's the worst between those assholes with the toxic darts, the part where a misplaced roll is instant death, or how intolerable the swamp section is if you didn't get the rusted iron ring.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

Nah, Blighttown is still terrible even at a pristine 60 frames-per-second. Certainly, all of the other souls games have their own take on the "Hey, there's poison and shit everywhere" area, but I still think it's the worst between those assholes with the toxic darts, the part where a misplaced roll is instant death, or how intolerable the swamp section is if you didn't get the rusted iron ring.

Okay so I'm not crazy! Thanks, friend. Not that I was exactly seeing anything saying "I LOVE BLIGHTTOWN" or anything, but still. At the time, most of the complaints (that I saw at the time) were about the framerate (warranted) and not about everything else (hell, again, I didn't even notice these myself until playing through on PC with DSfix later).

I finally got out of a huge mess I was in which inspired me to post this in the first place. I just fucking hate that place.

Someday I'm going to go back to DS2. I can't remember that game's terrible poison area. I can remember the rest of them.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Booting this up and playing it for a bit was a really strange experience for me. I dunno if it's something special about this version, but I replayed it on Xbox BC last year and had no issues with it. However playing this is the first time I got an overwhelming "this contemporary game is actually really old, isn't it?" sensation. It just really felt like I was playing an outdated old gen game. Maybe it's the 60 FPS that does it, I dunno, but there's something strange going on.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How is the mod scene on pc?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: You get banned from using mods ATM or there reports of people getting banned. With the Remastered version.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

@oursin_360: You get banned from using mods ATM or there reports of people getting banned. With the Remastered version.

smh, oh well no point in getting this then. Thanks for info.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

Just stick with the old community patched version with DSfix and other mods. There's really no reason to buy the remastered version on the PC.

EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By EvilMonkeySlayer

@rubberbabybuggybumpers said:
    @oursin_360 said:
    @soulcake said:

Just stick with the old community patched version with DSfix and other mods. There's really no reason to buy the remastered version on the PC.

Is there any comparison video out there which compares the remastered version to the dsfix version?

EDIT: Ah, yep.. Found a PS4 Pro vs DSFix comparison video.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:
    @soulcake said:

If i could get the texture packs with 4k at stable 60 I would probably be tempted, but knowing that mods aren't allowed kinda kills it for me.

mmarsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing it on PC.. Im really enjoying it and getting a stable 60 at 1440p

RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:
    @soulcake said:

If i could get the texture packs with 4k at stable 60 I would probably be tempted, but knowing that mods aren't allowed kinda kills it for me.

I just got done with a session of the DSfix version of the game. Having jumped up to 4K a month ago, my eyes were kind of straining with the old HD texture mods. If the modding community can get some 4K texture packs going, that'd be real great.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360 said:
    @oursin_360 said:
    @soulcake said:

I just got done with a session of the DSfix version of the game. Having jumped up to 4K a month ago, my eyes were kind of straining with the old HD texture mods. If the modding community can get some 4K texture packs going, that'd be real great.

I played in 4k dsr a few years ago and it looked incredible, don't know exactly what textures i used though.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SethMode

Reading this shit about the PC version is quite literally blowing my mind. How did they somehow fuck up WORSE than last time?

EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EvilMonkeySlayer

@sethmode said:

Reading this shit about the PC version is quite literally blowing my mind. How did they somehow fuck up WORSE than last time?

That's probably a bit excessive, as vanilla Dark Souls on pc you are limited to something like 1024x720 which was horrendous.

EDIT: Also, 30fps. DSFix is magic.

RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only real positive thing I can say about the remastered version is how Gravelording has become a thing yet again, and more responsive compared to the old days where you often wondered if it was working as intended. I did buy the remastered version for the PS4, but prefer the DSfix version on Steam.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

100% this game will hit $20 before black friday. This and Burnout remaster are not worth $40 just to play on new consoles.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed it. The new paint wears off pretty quickly but I'm loving the community boost.

EvilMonkeySlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I enjoyed it. The new paint wears off pretty quickly but I'm loving the community boost.

I've heard there is some problem with hackers or something? That true?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.