Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Dear Havel,

dusenbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By dusenbutt

Skjhdl;sdklfah;dfasl;dhjf[osaklcacmka!!!

That is all.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By LordXavierBritish

You can shoot him with magic from the doorway you know.

He just keeps trying to get you and then walking back down the stairs.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By SuperWristBands

Hold up shield, circle strafe, go around back, lower shield, back stab. You can also wait until later in the game to fight him. Only reason to kill him immediately is if you use heavy armour.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar

Looking around at descriptions for awhile, its not actually Havel.  The Havel's Ring states that it was worn by his men to symbolize their adoration for their leader and to bear a heavier burden.  Further, the item description for the key that opens the upper door of that tower states that there was a powerful warrior locked down there by his traveling companions.  I can't imagine Havel's men doing that to him.  Nothing that effects how you go about killing him but I am a lore freak.

galfisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By galfisk

The roll + backstab method works well, or get the dragon sword and dance around him, dogding his strikes, chipping away at his health. Took me four tries. Felt hella good when he finally went down.

dusenbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By dusenbutt

@SuperWristBands said:

Hold up shield, circle strafe, go around back, lower shield, back stab. You can also wait until later in the game to fight him. Only reason to kill him immediately is if you use heavy armour.

Yeah. I've gotten soooo close so many times. He always manages to one-shot me with this massive raper club.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By envane

@Turambar: havel the rock is havel the rock .. theres no reason to think he is anyone else except mabey a different version of him, he might be a hollow version of his former self , or a dark "clone" like the other unique knights (tower shield knight in the undead chapel etc..)

remember solaire states that all sorts of random heroes from throughout time are converging on lordran , some via the summon signs (not just solaire but the various npcs you can summon and also the npc black phantoms that invaded you)

havel is most likely just a remnant of his former strength , and possible the real havel would be alot stronger ... like a shadow of the past , eternally guarding his tower ..

also people seem to have interpreted some lore abotu how hes trapped in the tower , i think the developers just simply left it that way since it achieved nothing to let him chase you to the ends of the earth .

i think the reason he remains solitary in his stairwell , and isnt a crazy boss like ornstein and smough , or protecting any thing but a shortct , etc .. is that he is supposed to just be an embodiment of massive armor cool factor .. hes literally just a rock , and isnt a tool of any other aspect of the world , except the game mechnics that leash him to the tower .. ehhe

developer A : we have this shortcut right near the first boss , if we let peopel use it with the master key , they could skip past all this shit !

developer B : justy put a really tough monster in there to guard it then

developer A : but then people will think theres something really cool past there , and try and beat him despite the difficulty ..

developer B: well just use that havel guy , we havent got anywhere where he fits yet ..

developer A : great idea , nobodys going to be dumb enough and try and fight him until later , we will make his weapon one shot you.

developer C : what did you guys do with havel ? , he was supposed to be the ... ohwell ill just dump his armor in anor londo

hehe i put too much thought into this

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By shirogane

@envane: Rofl...i got tired of getting one shotted by him while blocking...and ran past him and opened the door behind him with my master key anyway.

AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By AlmostApollo

@Turambar: But when you get Havel's armor later on in the game, it's the armor that dude is wearing, too.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By breadfan

Dildo club

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#11  Edited By jacksukeru

@Breadfan said:

Dildo club

That one-shots you. Such a dick move.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Turambar
    @envane: Actually, the key you use to unlock the door specifically states "a warrior was locked in there by his companions, for his own good of course..." so there is some lore based reasoning for him being locked down there.  Most likely he did go hollow, and threatened his companions.  However, given that Havel was one of Gwyn's best battlefield buddies, it wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that before going to the Kiln, one of the people that Gwyn had bestowed part of his soul to was him, since the game states that he divided up all his sunlight powers.

@AlmostApollo: The description for the armor states that they are armor worn by "Havel the Rock's Warriors."  Further, finding them in Anor Londo confirms that there are multiple suits of that armor.  Armor for someone as important and famed as Havel would probably be unique, and found on his corpse if you did loot them instead of in a chest.  The black iron armor for example belongs to Iron Tarkus and was found on a corpse in Anor Londo, most likely his.
    AlmostApollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlmostApollo

@Turambar: What about Ornstein's armor, though? You get it from a merchant, and I'm fairly certain that there aren't multiple sets of those.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Turambar
    @AlmostApollo said:

@Turambar: What about Ornstein's armor, though? You get it from a merchant, and I'm fairly certain that there aren't multiple sets of those.

Zumhall is a collector of trinkets, and he sells you what he finds.  Why you didn't "find" the boss armor after killing them in the first place is silly, but it still makes more sense than it ending up in a Chest in an area that is suppose to be locked away.  Further, again, the Havel armor you find states they are worn by his followers.  All the boss armor as well as legendary hero armors make specific mention of who they belong to and offer no ambiguity on that point.
    Syndrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Syndrom

i did this dude today, i was at soul level 40, was piss easy, could even block his attacks haha. Dude probably is alot harder on lower levels.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Monopolized

@Turambar: god damn it please go on, i am too lazy to read all of the item descriptions but the lore amazes me!

fr0stb1te

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By fr0stb1te

Eh.. he was giving me trouble, and I really wanted his ring for my knight.

What I wound up doing was luring him out to the entrance to the tower he is in, and wait in the door way. Bait him into taking a swing at you, back step, then run in and hit him with a single strong attack, retreating out of the doorway afterwards. Since you're near the doorway to the tower, he won't chase you outside (or if he does, only a few steps down the entrance). Once he turns around and heads back to his start point, bait him into attacking you again. Rinse and repeat. Took about 2 minutes with the Drake Sword with a SL <15.

For some reason, he seems to stick to not using his shield during this method, which slows down his recovery time and makes this a lot easier.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By imsh_pl

He's trivial to beat, just drop everything except your weapon, hold with both hands, run up to him, keep circling him while being as close and possible, wait for an opening to backstab.

His animation are so long that I literally don't see how he could be a problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I striped naked and had 100% physical damage resist shield plus a spear. Took ages but I got him down. Lots of rolling around...

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By matoya

Press the roll button

shamroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shamroll

The roll didn't always work for me so I just kept moving around in a circle on the floor above him (that makes it easier to get your blood stain if you die) and I kept my distance. I had better luck being out of range of his attacks then trying to roll away from them. I didn't get a lot of backstabs that way but I did kill him eventually.

Havel is a jerk, even with my 100% shield up if he connected with the 2-hand swing, I would be dead.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Learn his pattern, dodge, stab him in the back a lot of times.

Voila, free awesome ring.
    If Havel still knocks the fuck out of you, consider him your tutor for dodging.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Kazzurak

i believe circleing to his left is the easiest way to dodge his attacks fyi also gives you a perfect position for a backstab if you manages to roll during his attack

BoneChompski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BoneChompski

I just circled right and backed up if he got too close. If he gets up against a wall just disengage and lead him back to the middle. This is a patience fight.

pjacobson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By pjacobson21

Like most things in life, it's best to go in this naked.

For real, if you're trying to fight him early in the game (and why wouldn't you, the ring is awesome) any hit is going to most likely one hit kill you even through a shield.  Going naked gives you some valuable mobility. Two hand your strongest weapon (drake sword is the obvious early game choice) and circle strafe, rolling whenever he attacks. It's easiest to fight him if you lure him up to the first circular room in the tower. The trick for me was to not be too early on the roll action.  It was tempting to roll as soon as I saw him flinch, but you end up ending your roll right when he is starting his attack and he hits you square on for and instant death.  Delay your roll as much as possible and you'll be well out of his way while he has his dragon tooth in the ground, and from there go in for the easy backstab.  Repeat.  With the drake sword in two hand you can kill him in about 5 backstabs.

Pessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Pessh

Struggled at first but it's soooooooooooooooooooo easy

Just go in with nothing but your sword, no shield, no armor, nothing, bring him up to the floor with the door just incase you die, roll TOWARDS him as he swings, backstab, repeat.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Azteck

I had enough endurance to withstand a whole blow from him and still have enough to do an attack. I just whittled him down 35hp per hit.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By yinstarrunner

Was fairly easy for me at level 40 or so. He only hit me twice, once with my shield up and once without (which definitely would have killed me had i been a lower level). All it really took was a bunch of circle strafing and backstabbing.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31  Edited By Nux

Two great chaos fireballs and he went down for me.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Chummy8

I was able to kill him once I had 20 End. He didn't one shot me at that point (with my shield raised). That, and morningstar backstabs did the trick.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.