Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Do you have to have a magic?

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By nohthink

I honestly don't have any problems with my character. She(damn right it's she!) is strong and has no problem with the enemies. Just like any other people who are playing this game, if I encounter a hard enemy, I just back up and go to other places or just farm souls.

At first, my character started as a warrior and as I played through, she had a pretty balance stat spread across strength, endurance, vitality and dex. Now, since I have the Fury Sword, I focus on dex and str. Still, no problems what so ever.

But I did not put any points on magic. In fact, I do not even know what stat makes character a mage either. I kinda got worried at first and put a couple of points on attune... something but I realized that it actually takes a lot of investment to increase the magic slots(I have only one slot and I still think it was a waste of points).

People who say "Blighttown is really hard without magic," I did not understand where he was coming from.

My character is level 65 right now and does not know how to use a single magic spell. I'm totally okay with that. But my concern is that what if I need to use magic in the future? I'm going through Tom of the Giants right now and realized that place is super easy if you have Cast Light spell. I know it is not impossible to go through without magic but, again, I'm a little worried if something like that happens again in the future.

So... Do you have to have some magic or is it perfectly fine to through without magic? Again, I have never felt "crap, I cannot go through this part without magic" so far.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Turambar

Have enough faith to learn the Heal miracle at the very least, which requires 12 faith.  There are other options for tomb of giants other than call light, though that is the easiest to obtain.  The dungeon itself gives you a light source and wearing a sunlight maggot obtained from Lost Izalith also works.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nohthink

@Turambar: Okay, I have to ask, what is a sunlight maggot and where is Lost Izalith? -_-;;;

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Turambar
    @nohthink: Lost Izalith opens up after you defeat Unceasing Discharge in the Demon Ruins.  Before the door to the Asylum Demon reskin, there is another path to the right down a tree root that has some small bugs in there that will not attack you.  They drop sunlight maggots.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz
    @nohthink said:

@Turambar: Okay, I have to ask, what is a sunlight maggot and where is Lost Izalith? -_-;;;

helmet that you can wear that lights up the area.  Lost Izalith is past the demon ruins, that area past Ceaseless Discharge.
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nohthink

@Turambar:

@Marz:

Are you guys talking about where the reskin Capra Demons are?

Or is there a path that I'm totally missing?

bcjohnnie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By bcjohnnie

@nohthink: Yeah if you need a light source in there, just go through Lost Izalith first and do what Turambar says... honestly that's the only time I can think of where magic would be nice (but the maggot is still better). If you really want to build up some kind of castable skill, just go the pyromancy route (there's a guy near the entrance of the sewers who will give you a free pyro glove if you save him). Pyro is not based on any skills, all you have to do to make it better is buy upgrades to the glove or better spells, and it's a nice backup if you want to hang back from melee range.

Honestly though, if you're comfortable with melee, there's really no place where you should need any magic at all.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Turambar
    @nohthink said:

@Turambar:

@Marz:

Are you guys talking about where the reskin Capra Demons are?

Or is there a path that I'm totally missing?

That should be the area, yes.  If you start running into giant centipedes, you're in the right place.
    Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Jayzilla

You Defeated!

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SuperWristBands

I went through the whole game using only the Heal magic and Iron Flesh. Iron Flesh is pyromancy so it doesn't need any skill investment aside from some attunement. Heal, as said above is only 12 faith. You could always put some points into attunement and level up your pyromancy flame a good amount and you will have really powerful magic as an option.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By envane

you can play fine without magic .. just magic is realllly good .. and even if you dont wanna invest ANY stats , you can pick up pyromancy and get some great use out of it .. mainly damage , as sorceries and miracles have the better "utility" spells .

as for Ranged damage , bows can easily be better than magic , if not just alot more reliable , as you cant hit much beyond a certain range with magic , and bows go 3x as far .

I personally use the dragonslayer greatbow , which has AMAZING range , the arrows (javelins not arrows) hardly even drop in their arc , and with 40str 50dex , the bow DECIMATES anything at close range and still does great damage from further ranges , with an added knockback ... so honestly this bow is alot more useful than my magic spells which i cant aim reliably without locking on .

so no you DONT have to have magic , but theres no reason not to pick up some pyromancy spells , for that one fight where you just cant land a hit and need some pew pew damage

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Stahlbrand

Beat the game with no magic, and hardly any archery.

I had the 'heal' miracle, which just makes life a little easier because you don't have to extra-kindle the bonfires if you don't want to. Also, I picked up the pyromancy 'iron skin' before the boss fight at the end after watching my brother fight him w/o it. But no proper spells, and nothing but melee for real combat.

InertiaticESP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By InertiaticESP

I played an Int character in Demon's Souls, and did the same thing in Dark Souls.

Sorceries require a large soul investment, but they're absurdly powerful. Being able to do 1000+ damage at range (with Dragoncrest ring of course) is immensely useful. I started as Sorc which has 3 attunement slots, and added a 4th with points. I can load up on 120 regular soul arrows, or a mixture of say, 40 greater soul arrows, 30 reg. soul arrows, and 8 greater heavy soul arrows.

However, spells aside, playing a high Int character has a great melee option too. I leveled my favorite weapon (regular shortsword) into a Magic Shortsword, which does magic dmg and scales with your Int stat. From Magic +5, I turned it into an Enchanted weapon, which reduces the base physical damage, but increases how much it scales with your Int stat.

I can one-shot most enemies in the Duke's Archive with a melee attack. To basic undead enemies, I do about 420dmg per attack at SL60.

Basically, playing as a sorcerer, you rely heavily on your magic to get you through tough battles. However, once you can make the Magic weapon, melee becomes a much more viable option.

The best thing to know is that a pure mage will not really ever run out of magic attacks. Since you can buy the same spell multiple times, as long as you have the attunement, you can stack them together.

Eventually, you get the Crystal Soul Spear (requires like, 44 intelligence or something), which is absurdly powerful. It one-shots most bosses in NG with only 30 int. With my >50 int, I can do substantial melee damage, and the sorceries become unstoppable.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nohthink

@Turambar: Why didn't you tell me I need to go through Centipede Demon before I go to Lost Izalith....

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Turambar
    @nohthink said:

@Turambar: Why didn't you tell me I need to go through Centipede Demon before I go to Lost Izalith....

You don't.  You can skip both the centipede demon and the firesage demon if you use the Lost Izalith short cut you gain access to from a +2 Servant of Chaos covenant.  Also, there should be 4 bugs in the room before you reach the short cut door that will be locked if you don't have that rank, so you can still farm for a sunlight maggot in that room.  Though it would be harder given the bonfire before you beat Firesage is further away.
    nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nohthink

@Turambar: If I'm correct, I think you're referring to a room on the right before the boss room. I went in there and it was a tunnel and there was a tree that was a path to go down to the tunnel, which I did. I went down, walked straight and saw a door. It had a tree carved on it. Like you said, there were some bugs and they did not give me anything. Maybe I should farm them. I do not have any humanities to offer to the daughter of chaos to strengthen my covenant. i could wait for someone to summon me and kill the boss together I guess... And all these efforts are for the damn Tome of the Giants... sigh...

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Turambar
    @nohthink said:

@Turambar: If I'm correct, I think you're referring to a room on the right before the boss room. I went in there and it was a tunnel and there was a tree that was a path to go down to the tunnel, which I did. I went down, walked straight and saw a door. It had a tree carved on it. Like you said, there were some bugs and they did not give me anything. Maybe I should farm them. I do not have any humanities to offer to the daughter of chaos to strengthen my covenant. i could wait for someone to summon me and kill the boss together I guess... And all these efforts are for the damn Tome of the Giants... sigh...

Yep, those are the bugs.  The drop isn't exactly common though, hence why Call Light is still the easiest choice if your int isn't too far from the needed 14.
    Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Phoenix778m

After reading this I'm going magic next playthrough.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gerrid

You should try Pyromancy, as it doesn't require any significant stat spend, apart from attunement slots. Absolutely destroys everything on first playthrough. 500-odd damage for the lowest level spells.

So you can play your melee character without sacrificing any stats, and still get a nice taste of some 'magic'.

Rheinmetall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Rheinmetall

Unless you are a formidable player, by all means you need magic in order to survive. If I were you, from now on I would do some crazy soul farming and improve the attunement stats so that you can equip at least three magic spells. Pyromancy for powerful close combat hits, or Sorceries for weaker but ranged attacks, it's your choice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.