Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Drake Sword Problem

theboatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By theboatguy

I made a awful mistake and screwed myself over as I think I am unable to get the drake sword. So i bought arrows from the vendor in undead burg and foolishly didn't buy a bow, instead i just assumed i could use arrows with a crossbow that I picked up. But the problem is i accidently attacked the vendor and once he started chasing me I had to kill him. Now I am left with a crossbow without ammo, and ammo for a bow but no bow. Is there anyway I can get the drake sword still? Like get a bow or ammo for my crossbow?

HODGEY3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By HODGEY3000

i had a similar problem where i had to start again, at least its only at the start

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By musubi

You'll need that vendor. Until late game he is the only one who sells arrows and there are some bosses you DO want to range kill. You should think about starting over. Secondly, the Drake sword is "okay" for the start of the game but honestly there are SO many other weapons that surpass the Drake Sword by mid game as the Drake Sword does not scale with your stats unlike most other weapons.

theboatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theboatguy

@Demoskinos said:

You'll need that vendor. Until late game he is the only one who sells arrows and there are some bosses you DO want to range kill. You should think about starting over. Secondly, the Drake sword is "okay" for the start of the game but honestly there are SO many other weapons that surpass the Drake Sword by mid game as the Drake Sword does not scale with your stats unlike most other weapons.

That's what i was afraid of...I've put close to ten hours in so the thought of restarting makes me want to snap the disc in half but if thats what i have to do then i guess i will restart. i was a knight, what class do you suggest to restart?

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By StrikeALight

@theboatguy: Knight works well. You won't be confined by your starter class, but I enjoyed Warrior with the Drake Sword / Bow in the initial stages. Had to pump some points into endurance though to wield it effectively. Also, the winged spear is pretty class.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By McShank

@theboatguy: Restarting is not that bad. As that was probably your first time playing it so now you know what to expect. You can probably get there again in half the time. He is not Needed but he is Very Very helpful.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

You could live without the Drake sword.

Honestly if that vendor died for me now I'd have no problem with it. I never use the box and my dex isn't even high enough to do any sort of damage with it if I do.

When the dragon was alive I pelted his tail with like 100 arrows but at that point I didn't have enough DEX to wield the bow effectively and his tail never fell off.

Then he glitched and killed himself and now the bosses are a bit more challenging but whatever. Every time you watch early level YouTube videos everyone is using that drake sword - it's really become a huge crutch in the early game. Maybe I'm just bitter that I missed out on it but it does seem to ruin some weapon diversity that you'd otherwise engage in.

I alternate between a halbard and claymore and I was able to kill Capra etc.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By white

@theboatguy: You should restart. Having the option of carrying 1998 arrows is pretty important. You're not too far into the game yet, and you'll most likely get to where ever you're at in half the time, if not faster.

But you CAN find a bow later on in the game. It's just that you'll eventually run out of arrows.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Humanity

@White said:

@theboatguy: You should restart. Having the option of carrying 1998 arrows is pretty important. You're not too far into the game yet, and you'll most likely get to where ever you're at in half the time, if not faster.

But you CAN find a bow later on in the game. It's just that you'll eventually run out of arrows.

He's a knight and unless he's been building dex all this time theres no real reason he NEEDS a bow at this point in time. I don't think it's worth wasting 10 hours of gameplay just because you can't get one weapon in a game full of weapons.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By white

@Humanity said:

@White said:

He's a knight and unless he's been building dex all this time theres no real reason he NEEDS a bow at this point in time. I don't think it's worth wasting 10 hours of gameplay just because you can't get one weapon in a game full of weapons.

I'm a warrior and I use the bow like a crutch. It is essential for pulling and overcoming those bosses that you just can't kill in melee. You don't need a ton of dexterity - just 1998 arrows =3

And 10 hours is NOTHING in the land of Souls.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Humanity

@White said:

@Humanity said:

@White said:

I'm a warrior and I use the bow like a crutch. It is essential for pulling and overcoming those bosses that you just can't kill in melee. You don't need a ton of dexterity - just 1998 arrows =3

And 10 hours is NOTHING in the land of Souls.

IF you are a melee based character, and you can't kill something in melee then you probably should come back later. The guy with the lightening rod right outside of the blacksmith in Parish was killing me constantly - so I left, defeated capra demon, upgraded my halbard, rang the first bell, came back and I killed him pretty easily.

I mean I COULD have stood there and pelted him with arrows for 5 damage over the span of 15 minutes but then I'd just be twice as unprepared for other enemies up ahead.

I'm not saying the arrows thing is bad - just that if it's your first time through the game allow yourself some room to breathe rather than panickly restarting every time you miss something. I wish I had the master key gift, that I got the drake sword and some other stuff I missed out on but I'll just keep playing and adjusting - I think thats part of the fun.

MrCandleguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By MrCandleguy

@Humanity said:

@White said:

I killed the vendor when I was a knight. I restarted it was ONLY 1hour and a half of gameplay. Where is your 10 hours pulled from?

Drake sword is sooo helpful, its really worth restarting very little of game time. The bow is great for luring, so you don't need high DEX for it.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By white

@Humanity: But the thing is that he doesn't one shot you and you can't pelt him with arrows safely. I'm talking about shooting things that you normally wouldn't consider getting in close (dragon on the bridge, a group of curse frogs, toxic blowdartters) or you are just plain lazy (mosquitoes in the swamp).

Also, there are times where I just don't feel like risking all the progress I've completed to die to a fucking worm. Like, for example, the area past the Capra Demons in the lava pit. Yeah I could try and kill that worm that's thrashing about and risk putting 1 hour of progress behind me, or I could just sit here and shoot 100 arrows for 15min and ensure safe passage.

If the game lets me kill something in range safely and efficiently I'll take it.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By EthanielRain

If it makes you feel any better, I killed that vendor on purpose (to get the Uchigatana). Haven't missed him at all; just pick up Soul Arrow and use that like you would a bow if you want.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.