Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

For DLC content. Continue NG++ or new character?

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By golguin

I'm going to get the DLC for the 360 when that comes out, but I don't know if I should continue my lv 111 character or start a new character. My thinking on this choice comes from wanting the new content to feel as challenging as the first run through of the game. The problem is that I've logged over 330 hours and I'm too experienced to feel overwhelmed by stuff like I was in the very beginning.

If I go to the DLC with my current character I'll have access to every item in the game with a reserve of 30 million+ souls that I've gathered from over 150 hours of PVP. All my equipment is maxed and the only downside is that my stats/level were buffed to deal with some of the NG++ bosses so I have points that were put into attunement, faith, intelligence, and strength instead of other stats. The hope would be that the enemies and bosses would receive a nice enough buff from the NG++ that I would feel challenged.

The other option is to start a new character and get to the DCL area as fast as I can. The result would be weaker weapons, weaker armor, and no access to items that could really help in a pinch. I also wouldn't have the stamina and vitality to play the way I play with my current character and my soul bank would be gone so I couldn't simply buy up all the stuff I need. The con is that the enemies would be at a normal game level and I don't even remember what its like to fight them in such a weak state.

What I wont do is purposely weaken myself by not using the best weapons and armor available to me or trying some kind of no healing run. I'm sure everyone else is deciding on doing it with a new weaker character or their current main so I'd like some input on this.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

Depends: how fast can you kill the Hydra.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By roland_d11
    @golguin
    I logged hundreds of hours in DS as well and I think I will start a new character. I already have five different characters (Dex-Build, Strength-Build, Caster, Faith, allrounder) in different states of NG+. My new character will most likely be a heavy magic build, because I want to try the new sorceries :-) .

@Terramagi
    If you are patient you can defeat the hydra from the start, going from Firelink through the Valley of the drakes to Darkroot Basin. But I read somewhere that the enemies in the DLC will be pretty tough.
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By golguin
    @Roland_D11
    @golguin
    I logged hundreds of hours in DS as well and I think I will start a new character. I already have five different characters (Dex-Build, Strength-Build, Caster, Faith, allrounder) in different states of NG+. My new character will most likely be a heavy magic build, because I want to try the new sorceries :-) .

@Terramagi
    If you are patient you can defeat the hydra from the start, going from Firelink through the Valley of the drakes to Darkroot Basin. But I read somewhere that the enemies in the DLC will be pretty tough.
    Before heading to the hydra I'll at least get some pyromancy from the trainer so I'll probably be in the 20s when I first try to go there. Depending on how strong the enemies are I'll level in the garden as needed.
    roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By roland_d11
    @golguin: Sounds like a good strategy. But I am beginning to wonder when the 'time jump' to the new areas will be available. From Software said something about 'mid- to endgame'. I wonder if you need the Lordvessel to open the area...
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Terramagi

@Roland_D11 said:

@golguin: Sounds like a good strategy. But I am beginning to wonder when the 'time jump' to the new areas will be available. From Software said something about 'mid- to endgame'. I wonder if you need the Lordvessel to open the area...

The trailer shows what I assume is the portal.

It's in the cove where you free Dusk of Oolacile from her golem prison. Ergo, the Hydra.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By roland_d11
    @Terramagi: Yes, I know that the portal will be in Darkroot Basin. I'm just wondering if it will be open from the start or if there will be an equivalent to the orange fog gates.
    golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By golguin

@Roland_D11 said:

@Terramagi: Yes, I know that the portal will be in Darkroot Basin. I'm just wondering if it will be open from the start or if there will be an equivalent to the orange fog gates.

Now that I think about it I wouldn't be surprised if the portal was tied to the Four Kings. Maybe getting down there will awaken something from the Abyss and cause the Oolicile disaster in the past via the time travel. At the very least you will need to get rid of the Hydra and free Dusk.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Joeyoe31

I'd say just get to the hydra on that character then start a new character. Then wait until the DLC and then play though it with both accounts.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By roland_d11
    @golguin: Yeah, a Four Kings connection sounds possible. Or at least a link with Sif, the guardian of Artorias' grave. And since Beatrice has been linked to the Oolalice disaster, maybe you need to find her in Darkroot Garden and/or in New Londo. So many possibilities, on Friday we will know.
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Terramagi

@Roland_D11 said:

@golguin: Yeah, a Four Kings connection sounds possible. Or at least a link with Sif, the guardian of Artorias' grave. And since Beatrice has been linked to the Oolalice disaster, maybe you need to find her in Darkroot Garden and/or in New Londo. So many possibilities, on Friday we will know.

Sif seems more likely. After all, you'll have Artorias' ring, and I should think that's more likely than anything in the Abyss having bearing.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By NoobSauceG7

Do you guys know when the DLC will come out on the 360? On Friday too?

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roland_d11
    @Terramagi: Yes, and Sif will be in the new content in some form, he was in the latest trailer.
    Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Terramagi

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Winter.

It's to make up for the PC version being a technical nightmare.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By golguin

@Roland_D11 said:

@Terramagi: Yes, and Sif will be in the new content in some form, he was in the latest trailer.

There is an image of him in the DLC floating around. It looks pretty spoilery. I would recommend not looking at it.

I myself will try to stay away from any DLC stuff once it hits. I want to be surprised by the areas and stuff so I can see it for myself.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#16  Edited By NoobSauceG7

@Terramagi said:

@NoobSauceG7 said:

Winter.

It's to make up for the PC version being a technical nightmare.

Cool thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.