Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Forced to restart my game...any tips for a sorcerer?

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mrsignerman44

So some jerk went ahead and hacked my xbox live account, luckily I got everything back but microsoft has to lock my account for 30 days. Fun.

Anyway, I am definitely not going to put Dark Souls down for a month considering that it's an incredible game that I want to finish, I've been playing as a knight and I wanted to roll a different character anyway so does anyone have a good build or tips for sorcerer characters? I'm thinking that I should pump a ton of points into intelligence and vitality but I have no idea how the magic system works so I might be doing it wrong.

Any tips?

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kmdrkul

@Mrsignerman44 said:

So some jerk went ahead and hacked my xbox live account luckily I got everything back but microsoft has to lock my account for 30 days. Fun.

Anyway, I am definitely not going to put down Dark Souls for a month seeing how it's an incredible game that I want to finish, I've been playing as a knight and I wanted to roll a different character anyway so does anyone have a good build or tips for sorcerer characters? I'm thinking that I should pump a ton of points into intelligence and vitality but I have no idea how the magic system works so I might be doing it wrong.

Any tips?

Yeah, whatever Vince. I'm onto you!

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

be a pyromancer and built him like a knight

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@kmdrkul said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

So some jerk went ahead and hacked my xbox live account luckily I got everything back but microsoft has to lock my account for 30 days. Fun.

Anyway, I am definitely not going to put down Dark Souls for a month seeing how it's an incredible game that I want to finish, I've been playing as a knight and I wanted to roll a different character anyway so does anyone have a good build or tips for sorcerer characters? I'm thinking that I should pump a ton of points into intelligence and vitality but I have no idea how the magic system works so I might be doing it wrong.

Any tips?

Yeah, whatever Vince. I'm onto you!

Confused but I loled

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@kingzetta: That sounds a little confusing, So I'd basically be leveling Vitality, Strength, Endurance, Intelligence and Attunement? And I'd be slow? I don't know I kinda of wanted a fast character.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Vitality? Well, I guess if you want to be a half-assed Sorcerer. But if you want to be killing enemies with one shot of a Soul Arrow early on, put enough points into Attunement to get 5 slots and then fully invest in Intelligence. When you get more spells later on, you can decide if you want to put more points into Attunement for more slots. Actually, I don't think putting any point into Vitality as a Sorcerer is too good an idea as you may end up stuck later on where you won't be dealing enough damage with your low Intelligence. You're not supposed to be a resilient magic casting class with a Sorcerer; I believe you'd prefer a Pyromancer in that case.

Make sure to purchase the extra Soul Arrow spell that you can get from a merchant early on real close to the start of New Londo Ruins for 2k souls. That'll double your amount of available Soul Arrows from 30 to 60, which makes for less trips to bonfires. Later on, make sure to save Griggs of Vinheim to access more spells that will help you greatly. 

@Mrsignerman44 said: 

@kingzetta: That sounds a little confusing, So I'd basically be leveling Vitality, Strength, Endurance, Intelligence and Attunement? And I'd be slow? I don't know I kinda of wanted a fast character.

Whoa... what? Dark Souls is definitely not a game for you to be a Jack-of-all-trades like that. You need to aim for 2-3 specific stats to focus on or you'll get destroyed for sure.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kingzetta
    @Mrsignerman44 said:

Well you'd only be slow if you wore heavy armor. INT does not effect pyromancy and all attunement does is give you more magic slots. You'd have fire magic and be a strong melee guy.
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@FluxWaveZ: Thanks for the tips, so I shouldn't worry at all about vitality because my best defense is a good offense. Okay, got it.

@kingzetta: I did play around with the pyromancer for a little while but I don't like hybrid classes too much.

TheWyotee93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By TheWyotee93

I might have to start over because whenever I go to a bonfire to level up it wont let me put points into anything and says ReqSouls 0 over everything. Can someone help me with this? Am I missing or forgetting anything?

Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@TheWyotee93: It does that to me too, I think it's just a thing you have to deal with. I just ran back, got some more souls and it would let me put points into attributes again.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kingzetta
    @Mrsignerman44 said:

@FluxWaveZ: Thanks for the tips, so I shouldn't worry at all about vitality because my best defense is a good offense. Okay, got it.

@kingzetta: I did play around with the pyromancer for a little while but I don't like hybrid classes too much.

Well your going to have to do some melee, because your not really going to get far on pure magic.
    unless you level up your attunement enough to have like 20 spells.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @TheWyotee93 said:

I might have to start over because whenever I go to a bonfire to level up it wont let me put points into anything and says ReqSouls 0 over everything. Can someone help me with this? Am I missing or forgetting anything?

The ReqSouls 0 is normal. If you go over a stat to upgrade and there's no arrow next to it, it means that you don't have enough souls to upgrade any stat and you'll need to return to a bonfire when you have more souls than you have currently. The game actually doesn't display the number of souls required for your next level up. It just displays the number of souls you're in the process of using to level up. 

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Kinda... You still need a (light) shield, of course. And a spell Sorcerers get later on to enhance a shield with a blue aura makes for an extremely good defense that works for practically all melee attacks and many projectiles. Other than that, you'll need to take advantage of your mobility, as you won't be wearing heavy armor, and roll a lot to avoid attacks. Stay as far as possible from your enemies when attacking them with Soul Arrow as that spell tends to miss enemies at close distances and because enemies will be able to kill you quickly when they get up close to you. Later on, when you rescue Laurentius of the Great Swamp, you'll be able to take advantage of Pyromancer abilities that are a good compliment to your long range offense as a Sorcerer as Pyromancy techniques tend to be good for close offense.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Turambar
    @TheWyotee93 said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

@TheWyotee93: It does that to me too, I think it's just a thing you have to deal with. I just ran back, got some more souls and it would let me put points into attributes again.

Dark Souls doesn't tell you the required number of souls needed for your next level up, one of the few actual criticisms I have for it.  If it says 0, it means you haven't hit the necessary number yet.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @kingzetta said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

Well your going to have to do some melee, because your not really going to get far on pure magic. unless you level up your attunement enough to have like 20 spells.
    Haha, what? You're not playing a pure magic class, are you? Just like Demon's Souls, people seem to like underestimating the magic class in Dark Souls even though it probably destroys most other classes at PvE and will probably be real effective at PvP. I'm level 33, only having put something around 6 points into Attunement to have 5 magic slots and putting every single other point into Intelligence. I eliminate other players extremely quickly with magic when I invade/get invaded as only a few hits is enough to finish them off. Soloing every boss except for "Goat Head" was no problem at all as you just keep your distance and spam away with Soul Arrows. 

And it's crazy how it's still thought that the magic alteration from Demon's nerfed the magic class. It hasn't. Not only is the limitation really not an issue between bonfires, but it means that magic classes don't need to take out herbs and use them every 10 seconds in order to replenish their Magik bar. We can just spam away with no worries.
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@FluxWaveZ: Should I put any points in endurance or strength?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Mrsignerman44 said:

In my opinion, no. But really, what are you looking for? A Pure Magic class? A melee/magic hybrid? Because with your questions, it seems that a Pyromancer would fit you better.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kingzetta
    @FluxWaveZ:  no I am and it's great 
    I'm just saying you would normally run out of magic before a boss, if that's all your using.
    I use melee normally and save my magic for when I'm in a pinch
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Mrsignerman44 said:

In my opinion, no. But really, what are you looking for? A Pure Magic class? A melee/magic hybrid? Because with your questions, it seems that a Pyromancer would fit you better.

I want to play a pure magic class. All the questions are probably because I usually play a warrior in games but I'm getting kind of bored of that.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Chop

Every build should be putting points into endurance and vitality. Of course, you'll want to jack up your intelligence to at least 36 first and get some spell slots but health and stamina are important for EVERY build.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @kingzetta said:

@FluxWaveZ:  no I am and it's great

Are you saying you are a Pure Magic class? Because if that's what this means, then no, you aren't because you're relying on melee. "Pure" magic class relies solely on magic. That's the point. 

@kingzetta said:

@FluxWaveZ: I'm just saying you would normally run out of magic before a boss, if that's all your using.

And again, that's not true. As a Sorcerer the spells are so damaging that it makes an early limit of 30 Soul Arrows meaningless. This "problem" becomes non-existent when you acquire the 2nd Soul Arrow spell and get a max. of 60 Soul Arrows. The times when you run out of the 30 spells early on coincides with when you need to rest at a bonfire anyways, so that makes this "problem" even less significant. You really can't have much say on this unless you try it out yourself, as I have. Believe me, Souls Arrows were all I was using when I started and I had no problem succeeding. This won't apply to a class that doesn't have a high Intelligence, hence why someone who picks Sorcerer should aim to improve Intelligence and not focus on melee at all or you'll just suck at both of those offensive options. 

@Chop said: 

Every build should be putting points into endurance and vitality. Of course, you'll want to jack up your intelligence to at least 36 first and get some spell slots but health and stamina are important for EVERY build.

I disagree. If you're careful as an INT-exclusive class, you'll either be killing your enemies before they reach you or you'll hit them a few times, roll out of their way, and kill them. I don't know, maybe it's just because I'm careful, but I prefer dealing real high damage to enemies instead of worrying about the few times I may get hit when I'm being reckless.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kingzetta
    @FluxWaveZ: no I'm a pyromancer/ melee guy
    Also I'm very good at both, my fireball can take out a group of dudes in one hit and my spear can kill one dude in one hit.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @kingzetta said:
    @FluxWaveZ: no I'm a pyromancer/ melee guy
    Alright, then it's obvious why focusing on magic with that class would not be viable as you only have 8 Fireballs instead of the 30 Soul Arrows. A Sorcerer's based around using that spell and the game's balanced to accommodate that fact.
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Mrsignerman44 said: 

I want to play a pure magic class. All the questions are probably because I usually play a warrior in games but I'm getting kind of bored of that.

I'd put all points only into Attunement and Intelligence as, to me, that's the most efficient route, but you may get frustrated without much health/defense if you're not used to being careful with how you approach enemies. Here's my build, only upgrading INT and Attunement: 
    No Caption Provided
    Mrsignerman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mrsignerman44

@FluxWaveZ: Alright thanks, sorcerer is already looking fun with all of those soul arrows. Having only 8 fireballs as a pyromancer to start with was what I didn't like most about it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.