Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

How "Screwed" Am I?

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Hef

Right after you beat the first boss in the PC content, you go into a courtyard. To the left of the bonfire if a mushroom that looks like the big ones from the great tree place. So i attacked it on instinct but it turns out she was an NPC. What does she do?

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SexyToad

@Hef: They just don't allow profanity in thread titles. It's just the rules.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#3  Edited By alistercat

They're only 'taboo' in thread titles. This website clearly has no problem with swearing in general.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spoonman671
    @AlisterCat said:

They're only 'taboo' in thread titles. This motherfucking website clearly has no shitting problem with goddamn swearing in cunting general.

Fixed.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Your question will now never be answered because of your forum rules complaint. Fun.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hef

So does anyone actually know the answer to my question?

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Spoonman671
    @TaliciaDragonsong said:
    Your question will now never be answered because of your forum rules complaint. Fun.
    I actually clicked on the thread with the intention of being helpful, but I've only played Dark Souls on PS3 so I don't know anything about any mushroom lady.  Then I decided it would be fun to make it look like AlisterCat has a dirty mouth.
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
    @Spoonman671: You're the exception. Always.
    L44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By L44

I don't think so..?

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hef

Maybe if people keep bumping my thread someone who actually knows something will show up...maybe.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

I kind of want to know how to get to the new content at all. The game has been pretty much as I remember it so far.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Hef

@TobbRobb: First kill the hydra and the golden golem in darkroot basin. Then get the lordvessel and unlock the dukes archives. When you go there you'll see a blue golem at the top of the first lift, If you haven't freed Dusk from the gold golem, he won't drop anything. But if you have, then he drops a broken pendant or something. Now go back to where you killed the gold golem behind the hydra. There will be a dark portal kind of thing where the golem was. You've officially found the new content.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyrodactyl

@Hef: I don't remember any mushroom lady so you'll be fine going trough the old content at least since I beat the game on 360 without her help

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By ShaggE

@pyrodactyl said:

@Hef: I don't remember any mushroom lady so you'll be fine going trough the old content at least since I beat the game on 360 without her help

I'm pretty sure he knows that. There'd be a tiiiiny bit of backlash if the game wasn't beatable until the new content came out.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By JoeyRavn

According to GameFAQs, nope. She's just like most NPCs: expendable. Spoilers, I guess?

Not much. She sells the same spells that Dusk does when she's in the lake, and gives you three of those regen mushrooms after you finish the DLC.

Sells you stuff. Spells too.

Also talks to you for plot.

Avatar image for deactivated-640dff1e66348
    deactivated-640dff1e66348

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hef: as someone who hasn't played dark souls that sounds fucked. if you didn't know about it would you be able to find it normally? or is that shit squirrelled away? sorry im not able to help answer your question...

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hef

@JoeyRavn: Word. I suppose googling would have been the better option lol

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By TobbRobb

@Hef: Ok cool. I remember the Gold Golem from 360, but I didn't see it this time. Will go back and check. Lordvessel and Duke's Archive are ready to go though :D.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hef

@TobbRobb: Yeah the golem didn't show up for me after I beat the hydra as well :S. Maybe it's just because i did it earlier than last time. But I went back after I got the lordvessel and it was all good.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox

I've beaten the hydra with three separate characters and have never seen the gold golem (360). But it's also usually one of the first things I end up doing. Haven't played long enough to get the lordvessel with any of my characters either, so that could be it.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Terramagi

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

That's how fucked you are right now.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By avidwriter

Google probably could have found you this answer in much less time ya know. A walkthrough or a wiki I bet would have had the info in plain site.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matiaz_tapia

@Hef: Whenever you hit an NPC, the best option is to request absolution from Oswald of Carim. You can find him in the church, close to where you fight the twin gargoyles. It basically "resets" your stance with most NPCs. Hopefully it does the same with the new ones.

It can be pricey depending on your SL.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Terramagi

@avidwriter said:

Google probably could have found you this answer in much less time ya know. A walkthrough or a wiki I bet would have had the info in plain site.

There is amazingly little info recorded on the Artorias of the Abyss content.

In a month, it will be different.

But now? Not so much.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By mosespippy

@Hef: If any NPC is mad at you for attacking them then you need to absolve your sins. You do this by paying 500 souls per level to Oswald of Carim, who is in the first bell tower.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Hef: Wait, did you kill the NPC when you attacked, or just turn it hostile?
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Fallen189

If you attack an NPC with a weapon (You can often Dark Hand them for free) theyre gone for the rest of the game. You'll have to beat it, then NG+ it to reset them. Sorry

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By bushpusherr

@Terramagi said:

@avidwriter said:

There is amazingly little info recorded on the Artorias of the Abyss content.

In a month, it will be different.

But now? Not so much.

This right here. It took long enough just for the explanation of how to even access the new content to surface, let alone an exaustive layout of what all the new NPC's and items there are.

But for the OP, I did the exact same thing when I entered the sanctuary, and I was able to finish the new content just fine. And to those suggestion absolution and all that...this NPC dies in one hit. Not an option here.

Caliginous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Caliginous

@MrKlorox: You find the gold golem at the back side of the lake. You have to leave the area or just reload the save after the hydra is dead to see it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont own Dark Souls, nor will I, and I have no intention of playing it. Ever. But from what I have been hearing, if you haven't screwed yourself while playing dark souls, Your playing wrong.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By envane

@Terramagi: you need to know where to look , i.e the dark souls wiki FORUMS , and such .. most respectable places arent publishing alll the new content info straight away to give people that time to work it out for themselves , but theres plenty of spoiler threads with everything you could possible want to know about the new content .. just dont trust the "NO SPOILERS" threads ehehe they are filled with them.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By coaxmetal

Where does the new content start anyway?

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By envane

@Riboflavin: as said earlier , after meeting the requirements and obtaining the broken pendant item , a hand will drag you back in time to the new content , http://youtu.be/7nzWBhvdbR4 for more info.

@Hef said:

@TobbRobb: First kill the hydra and the golden golem in darkroot basin. Then get the lordvessel and unlock the dukes archives. When you go there you'll see a blue golem at the top of the first lift, If you haven't freed Dusk from the gold golem, he won't drop anything. But if you have, then he drops a broken pendant or something. Now go back to where you killed the gold golem behind the hydra. There will be a dark portal kind of thing where the golem was. You've officially found the new content.

uber_skedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By uber_skedy

@Hef said:

Right after you beat the first boss in the PC content, you go into a courtyard. To the left of the bonfire if a mushroom that looks like the big ones from the great tree place. So i attacked it on instinct but it turns out she was an NPC. What does she do?

I know nothing about the mushroom lady. Killing NPCs isn't the be all and end all though. Hell I killed Solaire and the cleric near the first bonfire on my first play through and still finished. I don't advise doing that. But I think you can make it through without leaving any NPCs alive if you really wanted.

It's not like Dark Souls is supposed to be easy anyways.

TwilitEnd656

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TwilitEnd656

She'll sell you everything Dusk normally would if you found her outside the DLC content, and will also give some general story tid-bits. She isn't essential in any way like the blacksmiths though, so it's not too bad.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@MrKlorox said:

I've beaten the hydra with three separate characters and have never seen the gold golem (360). But it's also usually one of the first things I end up doing. Haven't played long enough to get the lordvessel with any of my characters either, so that could be it.

Kill hydra, walk to the rear of where the hydra was being careful not to fall in the bottomless water (onoes swimming). Quit and reload your game, tada magic golem and quite a few useful spells you can't get anywhere else (not to worry I'm sure 0.00001% of the population found this out without looking at a guide of some sort).

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mason

Don't worry. You can pretty much kill or piss off any NPC in Dark Souls and still finish the game just fine. You'd lose out on certain tactical options, but there's always an alternative method to get the job done.

For example, you could kill the Blacksmiths in the game without getting embers or the ability to upgrade by yourself, but still be able to create strong enough gear by going to Rickert (unkillable) and upgrade powerful weapons using Twinkling Titanite, or Dragon Scale. There are even non-upgradeable armors that are strong enough to finish the game.

Or you could let the firekeepers die and never upgrade your estus flask. You'd still be able to heal well enough with consumable humanity (which can be farmed). There really isn't any way to screw yourself, contrary to popular belief.

Haven't finished the expanded content, but the mushroom lady seems to be mostly there for story reasons. I predict you can still play through the content, you just might miss out on an item and some extra plot points. Though come to think of it, I wonder if killing Dusk before accessing the DLC content will prevent the portal from showing up. She's the reason you're going there in the first place. Knowing Dark Souls, I assume not.)

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#38  Edited By jacksukeru

@mason: No the reason that you're sucked through the time portal is that you are carrying the old broken pendant that you get from the new crystal golem, though that's technically revealed later in the DLC. While Dusk does have a role in the mini story that's set up, she's not a vital part of it.

Also, despite the NPC looking pretty similar to the mushroom enemies in the game, it's attached to a wall, has no arms, is passive, is very close to a bonfire and is in a place refered to as a Sanctuary. I'm very surprised that someone would outright attack it without finding out what it does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.