Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Int or Faith

Avatar image for errectified_p_p
    errectified_P_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By errectified_P_P

So I am trying to figure out which to choose for my next character. So I have a few questions, which does more damage, which spells are more useful, is the scaling better for one of them, which is better for pve or pvp, and should I also mix in a stat like strength or dex, which would be best for that.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Rhombus_Of_Terror

I'd go STR or DEX / END / VIT / FAITH, it'll give you access to miracles if you're playing a melee focus paladin-esque type. It's probably the best starting point for pvp but other players here might say otherwise. INT is largely for sorcerers unless you want to cast spells as a battle mage (catalyst in left hand, melee in right). STR for swords and axes, DEX for spears, rapiers and whips.

VanillaPlant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VanillaPlant

@errectified_P_P: Check out http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/ There is no clearcut awnser for a question that unspecific.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@errectified_P_P said:

So I am trying to figure out which to choose for my next character. So I have a few questions, which does more damage, which spells are more useful, is the scaling better for one of them, which is better for pve or pvp, and should I also mix in a stat like strength or dex, which would be best for that.

Both can potentially do more damage, depending on how you use it. A crystal soul spear can easily hit for over 1500, by the same value, sunlight or darkmoon blade will throw a +15 zweihander into overdrive and make you hit harder than smough on illegal enhancement drugs. As for use, largely speaking Sorcery has the more focused utility spells, though miracles (and even pyromancy to some degree) contain useful things. I just consider safe fall, hidden body, chamaeleon, aural decoy etc more useful. Scaling is equal for both, its all down to weapons/upgrades and your weapon preference. PvE is easily sorcery, if you haven't tried a PvE sorcerer, do it, you can 4 shot Gwyn without taking a single blow or having to parry. PvP is arguabley faith, although do not underestimate a well played sorcerer who has focused more on dex/str with int as an enhancement. As for mixing in a stat, its almost a must. Vitality/Endurance are always needed, I have found personally that Str works better with Faith and Dex works best with Int. This is purely personal preference though, its just that huge Str weapons dont seem to fit with a 'pure' caster, they look better in the hands of a paladin, I.E, Faith build.

Hope that somewhere in that huge pile of 300+ hours of Dark Souls knowledge, you find something useful. Although I leave you with the message all Dark Souls players need to hear and understand, there is no right way to play the game, just have fun and do what suits you.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.