Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Lending this game to a friend is a terrible idea...

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MysteriousFawx

At work, Dark Souls was a common discussion between a few of us. Most people tended to ignore our chats as they clearly make little sense to those who haven't actually played the game, however, someones interest was taken by the conversation.

Now, me thinking it'd be a good idea to let him see what he thinks, lent my friend the game. That was 1 month ago, he has only just got past Anor Londo but is enjoying it so much I simply couldn't bare to ask for it back as I've wanted to jump back online with my workmates and do some duels etc.

So what did I do today? Ordered myself another copy....and if the PC announcement is to be believed, I'll be buying this game a 3rd time.

All I can say is god damn you Dark Souls, you drain my time and money and give me nothing back but a weird echo sound and the phrase 'You Died'.

So what about you duders? Have you had to wrestle with awkward situations of lending games and the timeframe getting a little out of hand? Also who is going to purchase the PC version even though they already own a console copy?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

I let people play my games ... at my place :P I dont trust people with my stuff , somehow people always manage to damage and eff things up in a very short time span.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By UlquioKani

I have lent out Mass Effect which came back broken. I lent out Star Ocean and it came back covered in Pizza and Coffee. My copy of final fantasy 13 is scratched to hell after lending it to a friend. Goddamn it Reuben!

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SpaceRunaway

I love this game so much, but I don't think I could recommend it so any of my friends without being deeply apologetic. This is pretty much my same position on Deadly Premonition.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Julmust

You should probably just have gotten your copy back.

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

I learned a long time ago not to do that. Everyone just moves away to another town with your shit.

I will be buying it again too if it comes to PC. That would be a pretty good time.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

After I borrowed MGS4 to a friend only to have it come back with the plastic on the case all fucked up and fingerprints all over the back of the disc. Needless to say, I now only borrow to people who have proven they can act like adults with other peoples stuff.

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By cap123

If he liked the game so much surely he would have bought his own copy if you took yours back.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MezZa

I lent Final Fantasy X to a friend about a year ago. Still haven't got it back. I should probably get on him about finally beating that final boss. And yes, if Dark Souls comes on PC I will be buying it despite already owning it on PS3. I prefer PC gaming and Dark Souls happens to be one of the few titles that I still have a console for.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Jolt92: It'd make me feel like I'd kicked a puppy if I took it back now, hes got so far but at the same time taken so long. Besides, as a lot of you have stated, lending out stuff usually ends badly. I only did it because I've seen this guys collection and know he keeps everything in order and mint condition.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

You should have just took it back and said fist taste is free mofo.
    Either way From software gets more money, which is good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You probably should have waited for some concrete PC version info. ;) But I'm not one to talk.

I lent my sister my copy of Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts thinking it'd be right up her alley, and I have no idea what happened to it. I ended up buying a new copy over a year later.

My biggest grievance is that I lent a friend of mine the ER games; Deadly Premonition and Persona 4. He then moved out of state and I never saw them again.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakkblades

My cousin still has my copy of Dark Souls. I have no problem sharing things with responsible people, but the danger of them loving in it, in such a long game as Dark Souls, can keep it out of your hands for years. If I were you, I'd watch him on XBL/PSN whichever and if he goes three days without playing any Dark Souls, ask for it back. If he's playing it every day or close to it, I'd feel bad about asking for it back.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

If I let someone borrow something they don't automatically own my item.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Itwastuesday

You're like a Dark Souls missionary, spreading the word of incoherent Japanese video games about knights fighting dragon butts.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai

I actually had someone on my PSN friends list who delisted me because I recommended him Demon's Souls. Made me laugh.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

What the hell? Take it back and let him buy his own damn copy!

*throws a stack of papers in the air*

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@Itwastuesday: You I like...I'm also beginning to think maybe I'm too generous...or maybe I just love this game that damn much

TheKramer89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheKramer89

Wait, PC version?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NegativeCero

You're more generous than I am. I've had good experiences and bad experiences letting people borrow things.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@TheKramer89: Theres an announcement coming on the Dark Souls facebook page, people are putting bets on DLC or PC Version....or maybe both. PC shipped with DLC thats free for consoles to obtain

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Contrarian

Never a borrower nor a lender be.

Simplest rule to live life by really.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By BiG_Weasel

The only way I'd do lending is game-for-game. You give me a game of equal value, and I'll let you borrow one of mine. I haven't done game trading since the console days, though. CDs/DVDs are too easy to damage, so its very risky.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By supamon

What? Why didn't you just ask for your copy back? So what are you going to do with the first copy when your friend has returned it back to you? Provided you get it back that is...

And you're going to purchase the PC version as well?

You Sir, are the embodiment of the "Shut up and take my money" meme. Or just bad financial management skills.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@supamon: I've kind of slipped into the same mentality with games as I have with books. Once its been handed to someone else I've already accepted that I may never see it again, besides, I originally got DS for £20 and my second copy has set me back another £15...I've still only paid full retail for it.

I've got no issue with my friend going to hand it back and saying 'no worries dude, its yours now'. Its hardly like I've lost a kidney.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
    James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I 'lent' 50 games to my ex girlfriend (Which actually isn't as many as it sounds, I have far too many games), after we broke up she kept them all and I didn't have the patience to argue over it and get them back. Lesson learned.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By supamon

@MysteriousFawx: Can I be your friend? I'd like to borrow your car keys and your passport. =D

I usually only lend games that I'm not into playing at the moment, and even then I try to only lend it to people I can trust it with cause I've been burned more than a few times with scratched up discs or dirty boxes with the manual missing. Plus I might forget about lending the item and only realize it years later.

I might purchase the PC port as well but I probably wouldn't be in a rush to do it. Diablo 3 would have gotten its vice-like talon claw grip on me by then!

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@supamon: You can totally have my passport, its 2 years out of date mind you.....

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tim_the_corsair

You should have let him have it and played a good game.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
    Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@MysteriousFawx: Are you getting a sense of Stockholm Syndrome with this game?, cos I certainly would if I wasn't able to play this game for a few days, I'd go berserk.

MysteriousFawx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MysteriousFawx

@RhombusOfTerror: Its horrible duder, people come into work all hyped about it like 'ohhh this invasion last night, it was 1v3 and I totally won!' etc etc... I've got about 5 different characters all dedicated to PvP at different soul levels and not being able to join in with the latest adventures really sucks.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#32  Edited By jacksukeru

Not sure I'll be getting the possible PC version because my laptop is, well, an old laptop at this point.

I'll be bugging my friend, who doesn't own a PS3 or 360, to get it though.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jozzy

Should I borrow a game from someone it would be to sample it for an evening, maybe two and return it. Your collegue/friend is a sneaky game-stealing bastard.... I do applaud you for spreading the gospel that is Dark Souls.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By amir90

Hey, almost same experience as me, just vice versa :p

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.