Follow

    Dark Souls

    Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

    A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

    Missed the 1st one.

    Avatar image for mowcrosoft
    mowcrosoft

    64

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #1  Edited By mowcrosoft

    I am very very interested in this game as it looks like the best video game i've seen since WoW (before the expansions) but as I have never owned a ps3 I missed out on the first one. Do you guys think it will still be worth picking up for 360? or will I have no idea what the hell is going on and be so frustrated with the learning curve my head will explode??

    Avatar image for nate
    Nate

    798

    Forum Posts

    1073

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 3

    User Lists: 6

    #2  Edited By Nate

    @mowcrosoft: You mean picking up Dark Souls for the 360? It sounds like that's what you mean. If so, YES! I don't think these games are for everyone, but Demon's Souls was a great game, and Dark Souls looks like more of the same (some improvements, I'm sure). I don't know if they'll be making it more confusing in this one, but I highly doubt it. If anything I think they'll make some things easier to manage (like all the funky symbols in the menus for example) and while it will still be a punishing experience I think you'll be fine. I plan to rely quite heavily on the strategy guide, and as with Demon's Souls, the wiki should be top notch in terms of explaining the game and giving tips and stats and stuff. I would not have survived Demon's Souls without the wiki. It was great and helped me have the time of my life with the game. If it looks at all appealing to you I definitely recommend giving it a shot. For me, it's the second game EVER I have pre-ordered, so I'm pretty discerning with where I spend my sixty bucks.

    Avatar image for karkarov
    Karkarov

    3385

    Forum Posts

    3096

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #3  Edited By Karkarov

    First off, sure pick it up on 360. Heck 360 doesn't even require you to forfeit your legal rights to play online too. As for the game.... do not just read the strategy guide, and do not visit the wiki. Demon's Souls was a vastly superior game if you tried to learn it on your own. 90% of the challenge, fun, and reward was making a mistake, learning from it, then correcting it and succeeding where you thought you never could. Going to a strategy guide or a wiki and having your answers baby fed to you without even trying is the equivalent of admitting the game isn't for you in the first place.

    Before all the internet idiots pop out saying that my comments are "masochistic" also realize the truth. The game if it is at all like Demon's Souls will not actually be "hard", it will just be exceedingly "fair". Make a mistake, play stupid, get in a hurry, etc etc and you will be eating dirt. Move slowly, pay attention, keep your shield up, master dodging, take your time to study bosses before you charge in.... and you may just find yourself dieing much less than you thought you would and realizing the games challenge is completely based on you and your playstyle.

    Avatar image for mcshank
    McShank

    1700

    Forum Posts

    920

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 1

    #4  Edited By McShank

    Buy it and love it. Dont look for help online till you at least beat the game for the first time like Karkarov said as its more fun to learn on your own. And if you ever own a ps3, picking up demon's souls is worth it as they have nothing to do with each other in terms of story / location.

    Avatar image for nate
    Nate

    798

    Forum Posts

    1073

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 3

    User Lists: 6

    #5  Edited By Nate

    @Karkarov said:

    As for the game.... do not just read the strategy guide, and do not visit the wiki. Demon's Souls was a vastly superior game if you tried to learn it on your own. 90% of the challenge, fun, and reward was making a mistake, learning from it, then correcting it and succeeding where you thought you never could. Going to a strategy guide or a wiki and having your answers baby fed to you without even trying is the equivalent of admitting the game isn't for you in the first place.

    Ouch. Maybe I'm not worthy, then. I should never have put in 90 plus hours because this game wasn't for me. :)

    For the record, I wasn't advocating looking at every little tip and treating it like a walkthrough, but after failing on a boss 10 times and spending maybe 40 minutes each time just to get back to it, I'm man enough to admit I could use some help. The game itself even encourages getting help from other players (my experience was not so good with that as the players I summoned were always way too good and basically beat the demon for me). I totally respect it if you want to forego the help of a strategy guide or wiki, but it didn't take me long to figure out that I could play this one of two ways: I could put in 50-60 hours to beat it and only feel like ten of that was painful grinding, or I could put in 100 hours and have over half of it be painful. That's the way I view it, but again, to those who feel like that ruins the fun, more power to them. I respect it.

    Avatar image for karkarov
    Karkarov

    3385

    Forum Posts

    3096

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #6  Edited By Karkarov

    @Nate: Well like I said Nate "without even trying". No one is going to rag on you if you die on a boss 20 times and you just aren't making progress so you ask for some help or look something up then. My first time I beat the game took me about 45-50 hours or so, died 54 times (yes I remember the exact number) but other than looking up stuff like "what is the minimum stats for an XYZ weapon again?" and asking one friend for some general tips on one boss I never looked anything up etc. I also never summoned a blue, that is just me being weird though.

    You must have been one of those dudes who gave me a D ranking however when I curb stomped 4-3 for you ;p.

    Avatar image for nate
    Nate

    798

    Forum Posts

    1073

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 3

    User Lists: 6

    #7  Edited By Nate

    @Karkarov said:

    @Nate: Well like I said Nate "without even trying". No one is going to rag on you if you die on a boss 20 times and you just aren't making progress so you ask for some help or look something up then. My first time I beat the game took me about 45-50 hours or so, died 54 times (yes I remember the exact number) but other than looking up stuff like "what is the minimum stats for an XYZ weapon again?" and asking one friend for some general tips on one boss I never looked anything up etc. I also never summoned a blue, that is just me being weird though.

    You must have been one of those dudes who gave me a D ranking however when I curb stomped 4-3 for you ;p.

    Point taken. Your right- people should probably go in cold and try first before seeking help. And yes, weapons stats is one of those nearly essential things to look up. But no, all the dudes who helped me got rated VERY high. If you want to read my sob story disaster of the only time I summoned - check it out here on my GB blog. Wait - just noticed you've already read it (9 months ago).

    Avatar image for quacktastic
    Quacktastic

    1065

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #8  Edited By Quacktastic

    You'll be fine on the 360.  The only thing they really share is gameplay.  Story-wise it doesn't even matter.

    Avatar image for giantstalker
    Giantstalker

    2401

    Forum Posts

    5787

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 15

    User Lists: 2

    #9  Edited By Giantstalker

    If its anything like the first game, prepare to die. A lot.

    I gave up on the second world after dying about forty or fifty times.

    Avatar image for rayeth
    Rayeth

    1239

    Forum Posts

    749

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 8

    #10  Edited By Rayeth

    The key thing is that you have to be ready to die often and horribly in the beginning. You WILL die.

    Then as long as you stay focused and improve a little bit each time, you won't have any problems.

    Tip #1: DON'T TAKE ANY RISKS! Oh, I can just run across this, I'll be fine. NO YOU WON'T! Learn that timing. You will get murdered by something you don't expect. Be patient and you will survive.

    Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

    1783

    Forum Posts

    274

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    @Karkarov: I'm getting a bit tired of seeing you in every Demons' Souls/Dark Souls thread urging people not to use wikis or ask for help because they won't be playing it the 'elite' way like you do. We get it, you're good at games and like to brag about it, but others can play however they want. 
    Avatar image for karkarov
    Karkarov

    3385

    Forum Posts

    3096

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #12  Edited By Karkarov

    @Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

    @Karkarov: I'm getting a bit tired of seeing you in every Demons' Souls/Dark Souls thread urging people not to use wikis or ask for help because they won't be playing it the 'elite' way like you do. We get it, you're good at games and like to brag about it, but others can play however they want.

    Actually I just hate the ridiculous amounts of people on the internet who tell others or new people to the game to just go to the wiki right out the gate and never advise people to play the game for themselves. I am hardly a badass dude and I know guys who play Demon's Souls who could school me like a little girl to be honest. They wouldn't even break a sweat doing it either.

    I don't recall ever saying "don't ask for help". I even said in my previous post I asked a friend for general advice on one boss on my first playthrouh. But asking for help and going to a wiki and reading a detailed strat on how to kill a boss is not the same thing.

    Avatar image for jaqen_hghar
    jaqen_hghar

    1432

    Forum Posts

    3292

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 2

    User Lists: 22

    #13  Edited By jaqen_hghar

    Since I don't have a PS3 this will be my first "Souls" game as well. Been thinking about getting it, seeing all this about "you must check the wiki to survive" against "checking the wiki is for pussies" made me have to have it. I don't usually like sadistically hard games, but when you can learn the game to master it... put me down for one copy! Loved the progression from mashing all the buttons and barely scraping by in Ninja Gaiden Black, to knowing all the combos for the sword at the end, carefully slicing my way through the enemies without being hit. I know this is nothing like that, besides the "die at beginning making you have to learn how to play" aspect. Anyway, my post probably makes little sense as I am watching the TNT at the same time.

    Avatar image for nate
    Nate

    798

    Forum Posts

    1073

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 3

    User Lists: 6

    #14  Edited By Nate

    @Durandir:

    I usually don't like sadistically difficult games either, but Demon's Souls just grabbed me and wouldn't let me go. You won't regret the purchase!

    Avatar image for doctorchimp
    Doctorchimp

    4190

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 2

    #15  Edited By Doctorchimp

    @Karkarov said:

    First off, sure pick it up on 360. Heck 360 doesn't even require you to forfeit your legal rights to play online too. As for the game.... do not just read the strategy guide, and do not visit the wiki. Demon's Souls was a vastly superior game if you tried to learn it on your own. 90% of the challenge, fun, and reward was making a mistake, learning from it, then correcting it and succeeding where you thought you never could. Going to a strategy guide or a wiki and having your answers baby fed to you without even trying is the equivalent of admitting the game isn't for you in the first place.

    Before all the internet idiots pop out saying that my comments are "masochistic" also realize the truth. The game if it is at all like Demon's Souls will not actually be "hard", it will just be exceedingly "fair". Make a mistake, play stupid, get in a hurry, etc etc and you will be eating dirt. Move slowly, pay attention, keep your shield up, master dodging, take your time to study bosses before you charge in.... and you may just find yourself dieing much less than you thought you would and realizing the games challenge is completely based on you and your playstyle.

    If the game didn't come with a guide your post wouldn't just sound like a gamer showing how hardcore he is...

    Avatar image for guyincognito
    GuyIncognito

    450

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 1

    #16  Edited By GuyIncognito

    @mowcrosoft said:

    I am very very interested in this game as it looks like the best video game i've seen since WoW (before the expansions) but as I have never owned a ps3 I missed out on the first one. Do you guys think it will still be worth picking up for 360? or will I have no idea what the hell is going on and be so frustrated with the learning curve my head will explode??

    Watch some good players on youtube and see if you like the gameplay. For example http://www.youtube.com/user/EpicNameBro is good. If you watch terrible players, you'll think the game consists of a single attack, getting swarmed and dying.

    Avatar image for carnifexseverian
    carnifexseverian

    73

    Forum Posts

    310

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #17  Edited By carnifexseverian

    @TC

    DS will be an amazing game for you if you know what your getting into. I loved Demons Souls, but I understand why some people didn't, it wasn't for everybody. If you like RPG's, exploration, loot, and a tough challenge check it out, there's nothing like these games on the market today.

    I agree with Karkarov regarding the wiki. In my opinion these games are best when you go in knowing nothing. Discovering secrets and weapons on your own is much more satisfying. You certainly won't get a perfect play through, and will miss a ton of stuff, but multiple play throughs are encouraged anyways. Of course if you get really stuck and its no longer any fun, a quick peek won't hurt. It's just very easy to start looking around the forums and the wiki and have much of what makes these games great spoiled for you. Just my two cents.

    Avatar image for cramsy
    Cramsy

    1293

    Forum Posts

    158

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 3

    #18  Edited By Cramsy

    This will be my first as well. Just a question about 'checkpoints' I really, really hate losing progress in games when I die but that kind of seems to be the idea with these games which I find super interesting. Is that how these games are made? With the intention of making you know the shit out of a few levels or is it still a giant game and will kick the shit out of you regardless?

    Also, what's the most progress you could lose? Upwards of 2 hours or something?

    Avatar image for timing
    Timing

    635

    Forum Posts

    9

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 19

    #19  Edited By Timing

    @Cramsy said:

    With the intention of making you know the shit out of a few levels or is it still a giant game and will kick the shit out of you regardless?

    I think both of these are true.

    Also, what's the most progress you could lose? Upwards of 2 hours or something?

    That depends on your speed, but I think checkpoints are placed so far apart that you could easily lose more than 2 hours of progress. However, if you die, you do get to keep every item you've found so far and all one-way doors or other shortcuts you've opened stay open too.

    Avatar image for jordy_laforge
    Jordy_LaForge

    8

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #20  Edited By Jordy_LaForge

    Can't wait to pick up this game. The tough but fair challenge is what I'm looking forward to the most. A lot of games are hard but have a certain cheapness about it, so I'm glad to see games like this being made. Personally I will try to avoid the wiki as long as possible but if push comes to shove I have no problem "googling" it. As for the ops question..Story wise I'm sure its a whole new tale and you should be able to jump in no problem. As for the learning curve, it will probably be different for everybody.

    Avatar image for cramsy
    Cramsy

    1293

    Forum Posts

    158

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 1

    User Lists: 3

    #21  Edited By Cramsy

    @Timing said:

    @Cramsy said:

    With the intention of making you know the shit out of a few levels or is it still a giant game and will kick the shit out of you regardless?

    I think both of these are true.

    Also, what's the most progress you could lose? Upwards of 2 hours or something?

    That depends on your speed, but I think checkpoints are placed so far apart that you could easily lose more than 2 hours of progress. However, if you die, you do get to keep every item you've found so far and all one-war doors or other shortcuts you've opened stay open too.

    Sweet Jesus Christ. But thanks for the reply :)

    How about experience that you earn when you kill enemies? Does that come back with you so you can kind of grind your character up or is it just objects you pick up?

    Avatar image for runeseekermireille
    RuneseekerMireille

    337

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    Like I told my friends yesterday: if you're even remotely interested in this game, pick it up. Though there is a story, I don't think it's that important, the gameplay is what's going to draw you in. And I would recommend that you look up guides for weapon management and upgrades, maybe character builds, but not for anything level related. And for bosses, I gave myself a 10 death limit before I look up a strategy on the wiki. (Imagine my surprise when I found out how easy it is to beat Leechmonger after I had had such a hard time with it!)

    The difficulty of Demon's Souls is greatly exaggerated. It just rewards caution and patience more than rash impulsiveness.

    Avatar image for timing
    Timing

    635

    Forum Posts

    9

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 19

    #23  Edited By Timing

    @Cramsy: Yeah you can totally grind if you want to. Every slain enemy gives you some experience (Souls) with which you can level up your character at any checkpoint. Levelling up gets more expensive with every level gained though (like going from 3 to 4 would cost around 600 souls, then from 4 to 5 around 720, 5 to 6 around 850 or something). Most of the enemies respawn after you've 'rested' (regained your health and potions) at a checkpoint, so after that you can just go and kill them again for more experience, obviously keeping the experience you've earned so far. Only thing is, if you happen to die, you lose all the (unspent) experience you have and it forms into a 'bloodstain' which is placed about 10 seconds away from where you died. If you manage to get to and touch the bloodstain you will regain all the experience you lost there, but if you die before you get to it it's gone forever.

    And also yes, you'll also just find some one-time consumable 'Souls' that will just give you 200 or 400 or 800 etc. experience upon consumption, which you can then also use to level up.

    Avatar image for onarum
    onarum

    3212

    Forum Posts

    0

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #24  Edited By onarum
    @Cramsy said:


    How about experience that you earn when you kill enemies? Does that come back with you so you can kind of grind your character up or is it just objects you pick up?

    You lose all of your souls (which is both your xp and currency) upon death, you can try and reach the place where you died to get them back, but if you die again before that you'll lose them for good.
     
    Well at least it was that way with Demons Souls, I'm not entirely sure about Dark souls.
    Avatar image for karkarov
    Karkarov

    3385

    Forum Posts

    3096

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 0

    #25  Edited By Karkarov

    @Cramsy said:

    This will be my first as well. Just a question about 'checkpoints' I really, really hate losing progress in games when I die but that kind of seems to be the idea with these games which I find super interesting. Is that how these games are made? With the intention of making you know the shit out of a few levels or is it still a giant game and will kick the shit out of you regardless?

    Also, what's the most progress you could lose? Upwards of 2 hours or something?

    It will be like Demon's Souls. You don't really lose any progress you just lose your exp and the monsters respawn. Which coincidentally happens every time you rest at a bonfire anyway supposedly. This sounds bad but it isn't really because you get better at the game by playing it. Yes it can be frustrating to get far in a level and fail but the next time you come back you will realize you got there faster, getting hit less often, using fewer healing items, so on so forth. Also experience probably isn't a big deal really. Like demon's souls there will be good areas to go to for farming enemies to raise your exp and once you master them you will probably find whatever exp you lost isn't all that hard to earn back.

    @doctorchimp Actually this game doesn't come with a strategy guide. It comes with a mini guide that only covers like the first area last I checked. Also I have said in multiple posts now I am not some bad ass dude, I ust find the game is more fun if you experience it on your own like the devs intended. I am actually going to do a let's play of it and considering I haven't watched a single video of it since E3 I really don't know jack about the world of the game other than some chests are mimics, there is a really mean pig, and running across bridges with dragons on them is a bad idea. Like Demon's Souls didn't already drill that one home. So youmay get a chance to watch and see how "bad ass" I really am if you care, you will probably find if you do I am pretty average.

    Avatar image for evo
    EVO

    4028

    Forum Posts

    20

    Wiki Points

    0

    Followers

    Reviews: 0

    User Lists: 4

    #26  Edited By EVO

    @Timing said:

    @Cramsy said:

    Also, what's the most progress you could lose? Upwards of 2 hours or something?

    That depends on your speed, but I think checkpoints are placed so far apart that you could easily lose more than 2 hours of progress.

    The thing is, what may have taken you 2 hours to get to, will probably take you a fraction of the time your next time through.

    That's the beauty of the game: pacing yourself, taking it slow, learning the enemies placement. Whether this will carry over to a more non-linear game though is to be seen.

    This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

    Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

    Comment and Save

    Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.