Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Need some help/advice on how to proceed in Dark Souls (spoilers)

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#201  Edited By MezZa

Have to say I'm loving reading through this thread. Good to see someone new to the game picking it up and getting tons of support from others. Your experience so far reminds me a lot of my first playthrough. Oh and congrats on beating O&S! That's probably the most likely spot for players to drop the game aside from Sen's. Good luck on the rest!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202  Edited By mordukai

@TobbRobb: As a whole I have a problem with Dark Souls level design. While it's the levels are bigger then the levels of Demon's Souls I just don't think they have the same level of attention and atmosphere as demon's. If you compare the 3-1 (Prison of Hope) level from Demon's to Sen's Fortress then Sen's just come off as just another dingy castle/dungeon with traps and snakes on steroids.

The more I play the game the more I feel like Dark Souls strengths are also it's weaknesses. While the big expansive area that intertwine and are interconnected are a really cool change, it also takes away a lot of the uniqueness that was the different hub worlds of Demon's. The different variety of enemies are probably a nice add on though.

I am not gonna get into much details here but I feel Dark Souls took as many steps backwards as it did forwards with it's predecessor. It's not a bad game and I am having a good time with it now that I accepted that the online features won't be as good as Demon's, but as a whole Dark Souls feels more like an iteration of Demon's Souls then an actual evolution of it.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#203  Edited By Rhaknar

scaling with humanity means queelag isnt really for me, Im always dying so I cant keep it up, and its the mmo equivalent of playing with /pvp on (or on a pvp server) where you can get ganked, and everytime Ive been ganked I died horribly, always to people with gigantic katanas too, whatever that is.

fun fact, the hard attack on the giant dragon axe, I cant remember the exact name, is a huge aoe shockwave, kinda badass. but it needs 50STR to use 1handed and its stupid heavy >_> wish you could "respec" in this game :(

isnt new londo where the 4 kings boss is by the way, I seem to have read that somewhere. If so, that sounds like another multiple boss at the same type situation, which have been the most disheartening for me, so I might have to save that for last, I cant deal with that again so soon :(

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#204  Edited By golguin

@Rhaknar said:

scaling with humanity means queelag isnt really for me, Im always dying so I cant keep it up, and its the mmo equivalent of playing with /pvp on (or on a pvp server) where you can get ganked, and everytime Ive been ganked I died horribly, always to people with gigantic katanas too, whatever that is.

fun fact, the hard attack on the giant dragon axe, I cant remember the exact name, is a huge aoe shockwave, kinda badass. but it needs 50STR to use 1handed and its stupid heavy >_> wish you could "respec" in this game :(

isnt new londo where the 4 kings boss is by the way, I seem to have read that somewhere. If so, that sounds like another multiple boss at the same type situation, which have been the most disheartening for me, so I might have to save that for last, I cant deal with that again so soon :(

What is your current level? If its higher than 60 then you might be taking it from both sides as people in their first game and NG+ games are in soul level range to invade you when human. The game has general soul level ranges for different areas and then there is about a 50+ soul level jump to the starting areas as NG+ people roll through those areas. When I created my 2nd character I had already logged in about 350 hours in my first character with the majority of those hours being put into PVP invasions. With my 2nd character I was only vulnerable up until the point that I was able to buy my Uchigatana and max out my pyromancy so it was probably SL 20 that I became immune to invasions by being out of the soul level range of invaders (too low a level to be invaded). Any that did manage to find me were promptly two shotted by my fire.

To put it bluntly you literally have almost ZERO chance of surviving an invasion without a phantom buddy so I can understand your humanity problem.

If your level gets too high you could actually hurt yourself by becoming unable to find co op phantoms. Your soul level limits the people that you are able to interact with. Some people say its + or - 10 to15% of your level or that + or - 10 levels, but it's all been proven wrong by my own summoning experience. Just know that you shouldn't go over soul level 80 in your first playthrough if you plan to find phantom help for those final areas.

New Londo is the place with the ghosts and the 4 Kings boss and you shouldn't go there till the end. You are not ready for that type of combat yet and increasing your soul level will help very little if you plan to increase your vitality to deal with the hits you'll take.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Rhaknar

@golguin said:

@Rhaknar said:

What is your current level? If its higher than 60 then you might be taking it from both sides as people in their first game and NG+ games are in soul level range to invade you when human. The game has general soul level ranges for different areas and then there is about a 50+ soul level jump to the starting areas as NG+ people roll through those areas. When I created my 2nd character I had already logged in about 350 hours in my first character with the majority of those hours being put into PVP invasions. With my 2nd character I was only vulnerable up until the point that I was able to buy my Uchigatana and max out my pyromancy so it was probably SL 20 that I became immune to invasions by being out of the soul level range of invaders (too low a level to be invaded). Any that did manage to find me were promptly two shotted by my fire.

To put it bluntly you literally have almost ZERO chance of surviving an invasion without a phantom buddy so I can understand your humanity problem.

If your level gets too high you could actually hurt yourself by becoming unable to find co op phantoms. Your soul level limits the people that you are able to interact with. Some people say its + or - 10 to15% of your level or that + or - 10 levels, but it's all been proven wrong by my own summoning experience. Just know that you shouldn't go over soul level 80 in your first playthrough if you plan to find phantom help for those final areas.

New Londo is the place with the ghosts and the 4 Kings boss and you shouldn't go there till the end. You are not ready for that type of combat yet and increasing your soul level will help very little if you plan to increase your vitality to deal with the hits you'll take.

67 is my lvl. Which has nothing to do with skill, and mroe with me farming like 15 lvls of STR to use the black knight ultra greatsword a few days ago and then hating it >_>

I just thought of something but then your post suggests im screwed. So Queelag only gets the dmg boost from humanity if you are a human? Because I suddenly just realised you can use the humanities and have 10 while still being undead. Would still suck everytime I die but at least I wouldnt be invaded. But I guess it doesnt work?

Im at a bit of a crossroads of how to lvl up / what weapon to use etc. Clearly Ive fucked up a bit, if I had known what I know now I would have gone with just 1 stat, and the type of weapon that seems to best serve my interests now, Halberds which use both STR and DEX, I kinda hate to use. Dunno what to do, Queelag still hits nice with no Humanity, about 120-130 per hit and its fast as shit. Black Knight sword hits for double that but its of course much slower. I do miss instant backstab kills with the black knight sword, which im NOT getting with Queelag fury.

In fact, here is where Im at, so you can see how fucked up my stats are :D

25 Vit, 25 Endu, 36 STR (from when I was dumping into it), 24 Dex (20 from I was dumping into it before getting the Black Knight sword many moons ago, and 4 recently after getting Queelag, since it scales with Dex)

I keep trying to stay under half my weight because I like being at least semi-nimble. Dunno what to do now, keep dumping into dex for Queelag, knowing ill never get the full use out of it. Forget queelag and go back to STR (meaning I just wasted 4 levels recently for example), but the Black Knight sword only goes up to +5 which it already is, so thats kinda boring. I have a bunch of weapons that need HIGH str, the giant dragon axe which I love needs 50, I also have some sort of Dragon's Tooth (lol?) which needs 40, but both are so heavy It would be almost impossible to fiddle around with my gear (as I do now) in order to stay nimble-ish, unless I went back to the shadow or thief sets I guess.

Help me Golg with your 1000 hours of experience or whatever! :P (im kidding, theres not much help to be had, it seems its just a case of half-fucking up on stats and half-me wanting something the game just wont let me be, and thats fine)

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Rhaknar

big hat logan is a big fat liar, told me to meet him at Firelink and hes nowhere to be found :O

edit: nvm here he is, and...he cant teach me anything he says. Well ok then :P

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By golguin

@Rhaknar said:

@golguin said:

@Rhaknar said:

67 is my lvl. Which has nothing to do with skill, and mroe with me farming like 15 lvls of STR to use the black knight ultra greatsword a few days ago and then hating it >_>

I just thought of something but then your post suggests im screwed. So Queelag only gets the dmg boost from humanity if you are a human? Because I suddenly just realised you can use the humanities and have 10 while still being undead. Would still suck everytime I die but at least I wouldnt be invaded. But I guess it doesnt work?

Im at a bit of a crossroads of how to lvl up / what weapon to use etc. Clearly Ive fucked up a bit, if I had known what I know now I would have gone with just 1 stat, and the type of weapon that seems to best serve my interests now, Halberds which use both STR and DEX, I kinda hate to use. Dunno what to do, Queelag still hits nice with no Humanity, about 120-130 per hit and its fast as shit. Black Knight sword hits for double that but its of course much slower. I do miss instant backstab kills with the black knight sword, which im NOT getting with Queelag fury.

In fact, here is where Im at, so you can see how fucked up my stats are :D

25 Vit, 25 Endu, 36 STR (from when I was dumping into it), 24 Dex (20 from I was dumping into it before getting the Black Knight sword many moons ago, and 4 recently after getting Queelag, since it scales with Dex)

I keep trying to stay under half my weight because I like being at least semi-nimble. Dunno what to do now, keep dumping into dex for Queelag, knowing ill never get the full use out of it. Forget queelag and go back to STR (meaning I just wasted 4 levels recently for example), but the Black Knight sword only goes up to +5 which it already is, so thats kinda boring. I have a bunch of weapons that need HIGH str, the giant dragon axe which I love needs 50, I also have some sort of Dragon's Tooth (lol?) which needs 40, but both are so heavy It would be almost impossible to fiddle around with my gear (as I do now) in order to stay nimble-ish, unless I went back to the shadow or thief sets I guess.

Help me Golg with your 1000 hours of experience or whatever! :P (im kidding, theres not much help to be had, it seems its just a case of half-fucking up on stats and half-me wanting something the game just wont let me be, and thats fine)

Your stats and Soul Level are actually fine. All you really need to do now is to nail down your armor and what rings you want to use. I think you would really benefit from using Havel's Ring so your next mission should be to kill Havel and take his ring. You can find his fog gate in Darkroot Basin near the Hydra. Simply teleport (you can fast travel at bonfires now) to the undead parish and go down below the blacksmith to the forest and you're there. Take the ring and equip it. A whole new world of armor will be open to you.

I will again suggest that you level up your pyro glove and by some new pyromancy spells. I also suggest you level your attunement stat so you have at least 3 slots to equip spells. You may have started off with two depending on your starting class.

Your stats on STR and DEX are both high enough that you can wield the black knight sword and other Dex based weapons nicely. There is a whole world of DEX weapons that you don't even know exist yet, but you'll come across them in the new areas. The only STR weapon I use is pretty similar to the Black Knight sword in terms of speed and moveset. The DEX weapon I use is a Katana with one of the fastest swings in the game and a move set that's very diverse. I also use a great scythe with long sweeping attacks that you might run into later.

EDIT: Don't level up STR or DEX for the time being. Get your VIT to 35. It's important you do vitality first as Havel's Ring is going to give your END a synthetic boost by allowing you to use heavier armor.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Rhaknar

@golguin said:

Your stats and Soul Level are actually fine. All you really need to do now is to nail down your armor and what rings you want to use. I think you would really benefit from using Havel's Ring so your next mission should be to kill Havel and take his ring. You can find his fog gate in Darkroot Basin near the Hydra. Simply teleport (you can fast travel at bonfires now) to the undead parish and go down below the blacksmith to the forest and you're there. Take the ring and equip it. A whole new world of armor will be open to you.

I will again suggest that you level up your pyro glove and by some new pyromancy spells. I also suggest you level your attunement stat so you have at least 3 slots to equip spells. You may have started off with two depending on your starting class.

Your stats on STR and DEX are both high enough that you can wield the black knight sword and other Dex based weapons nicely. There is a whole world of DEX weapons that you don't even know exist yet, but you'll come across them in the new areas. The only STR weapon I use is pretty similar to the Black Knight sword in terms of speed and moveset. The DEX weapon I use is a Katana with one of the fastest swings in the game and a move set that's very diverse. I also use a great scythe with long sweeping attacks that you might run into later.

Havel Ring sounds good, what exactly does it do? If it lets me use heavier armors with no penalty Ill love you lol. I just noticed I have a ring from the gold armor dude that boosts hp, endu and load, but breaks when removed >_>

I actualy upgrade my pyro glove once you know, but I cant remember where for the life of me. I have 1 attunement, I started with 0 (Hunter), do you have to pump alot of points into Intellect for more?

Great Scythe sounds like something I would enjoy. By the way, any idea what this gear people use that looks like the LOTR wraiths gear, basically long black robes? Ive seen people on summon signs with it, and on videos on youtube and shit. Hard to get?

Also, everytime I mention Queelag's hits, Im talking about the fast, light slash, I got used to never using the heavy slash with the black knight sword (because its ridiculously slow) I forget it exists. Guess the heavy with the queelag might be more usable, and hit harder.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By golguin

Level up vitality stat to 30. Level up attunement stat till you have 3 slots to equip spells. Teleport to the spider lady and speak to her servant to increase the power of your glove.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By Rhaknar

just found a cat in a window where those farmable forrest ghosts were (the ones that look like the initial player class choices), guess I missed it before. Joined the covenent, gave me some sort of summon ring. I keep joining and abandoning covenents but I have no idea what covenents are really lol. But this means I cant farm those ghosts anymore right? ugh

edit: oh heres the famous Shiva of the east, he looks cool. Doesnt sell me anything tho, I thought he was a vendor?

Starting to love Queelag's Fury... sure it helps that shit in the forrest does not like fire very much, but the fast hits are great, even the rock giants I can kill before they even do anything with 2-3 hits, which would ammount for 1 swing of the black knight sword, speed wise. Bums me out I dumped into STR instead of DEX, boo.

Going to start dumping into VIT now golg, I peaked in the basin but for some reason that place was freaking me out, the combination of ambient sounds and no enemies around was driving me nuts, also, the fear of being eaten by the popular Hydra :(

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Rhaknar

just killed the wolf boss, easy enough, but I had a hard time telegraphing the spin move unfortunately. I assume I do not want to mess with this Abyss ring he dropped for now? :P

also the Soul of Sif isnt one of the 4 I need for the story I assume? If it says I can use to make a weapon I assume not, but you never know in these Souls games >_> I dont want to fuck up the story lol

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#212  Edited By Nentisys

I disagree with golguin about dumping into vitality. If you want to PVP, vitality is important. If you want to finish the game, the stat is worthless.

I would suggest you dump into endurance instead. 40 endurance is a magical thing since that is the most stamina you can have in the game. (items boost it) More stamina means you can dodge more, block more and swing your sword more without taking a break.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By Rhaknar

@Nentisys said:

I disagree with golguin about dumping into vitality. If you want to PVP, vitality is important. If you want to finish the game, the stat is worthless.

I will never pvp. Got Havel's Ring, can use 3 of Havel's armor now (chest, head, gloves) and still be "nimble" as I call it, thats pretty badass, even if I dont particulary like how it looks :( I assume these ice shots all over the place are coming from the Hydra, for the first time its raping my FPS those ice shots, I cant imagine how it was on consoles

edit: noooooooooooooooo got excited when I read that Sif's soul was used to make a greatsword (not ultra, just greatsword, so should be the same speed as black knight one I assume) but it needs 18/18 int and faith for the cursed one, 20/20 for the normal. And now im sad :(

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#214  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: Shiva is a vendor. He'll move to Blighttown (between the elevator wheel and the bonfire). Sif's Soul isn't one of the 4 souls you need. Covenants are mostly for PVP things. Warriors of sunlight is a co-op one for example, and Forrest Hunters is for invading people in the forrest without the level restrictions of other PVP areas. Are you going at the Hydra from the ladder on the cliff or from the beach? I always found it easier to go from the cliff.

Edit: @Rhaknar said:

That's exactly how it works.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: Shiva is a vendor. He'll move to Blighttown (between the elevator wheel and the bonfire). Sif's Soul isn't one of the 4 souls you need. Covenants are mostly for PVP things. Warriors of sunlight is a co-op one for example, and Forrest Hunters is for invading people in the forrest without the level restrictions of other PVP areas. Are you going at the Hydra from the ladder on the cliff or from the beach? I always found it easier to go from the cliff.

Edit: @Rhaknar said:

That's exactly how it works.

wait, how exactly does it work, sorry >_< it scales with the humanities I have (the number on the top left) even if im undead? If so thats much better, as I dont need to worry about being invaded :)

And I didnt even go to the hydra, I started getting shot at when I was killing the ice dudes near where Havel was (so I guess the beach?)

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#216  Edited By Canteu

@Rhaknar said:

When i say it scales with humanity, this does not mean you have to be human for it to work. It is just your current level of stored humanity. And the cap is 10 humanity, although the bonus is quite minimal either way.

The new londo boss is very very easy. Just 2h, never stop. It's only 1 at a time, but if you take too long, the other will spawn and you have to deal with it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: Yeah, that's the beach. The shots from the hydra can kill the crystal golems so that can be a help but I still prefer taking the ladder right to the water so he does his melee attack instead of the ranged attack.

You don't need to be human for the damage to scale with humanity. Luckily your item find stat also scales with humanity so you'll be getting more loot too.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By Rhaknar

cool cool. Those ice golems went down like a sack of shit to queelag's tho, they arent a issue. I peaked in the catacombs for the first stime...stupid respawning skeletons! >_< Guess I need to make a divine weapon.

Also, wasted 1 lvl on 1 intellect thinking that raised attunement slots...then I noticed the attunement skill >_> SIGH. Really wish you could respec, if only for offline purposes :( I need to stop thinking of wasted stats or ill go crazy (hard for a hardcore mmoer to do tho)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: You probably already have a divine weapon. There is a sword that you get infront of the undead dragon in Valley of Drakes that is divine. Or you could kill the non respawning necromancers (fireball dudes) in the catacombs so that they can't reanimate the skeletons.

Also, I had meant to post this when you were finishing up Anor Londo but my power was out all that day.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Rhaknar

Catacombs boss sure went down fast with Queelag, weak to fire I imagine? Mask looks cool, even if its shit.

I ended up turning my old +5 gargoyle tail axe into divine, was good enough for the skellys. After killing the boss, up the stairs there seem to be some colored lights indicating some sort of path, but I see lava bellow and im scared :( lol

edit: seems its a new zone called Tomb Of The Giants but I cant see SHIT and theres giant skeletons, wtf. Something tells me Im not supposed to be here until I get a lantern or something >_>

@mosespippy said:

@Rhaknar: You probably already have a divine weapon. There is a sword that you get infront of the undead dragon in Valley of Drakes that is divine. Or you could kill the non respawning necromancers (fireball dudes) in the catacombs so that they can't reanimate the skeletons.

Also, I had meant to post this when you were finishing up Anor Londo but my power was out all that day.

LOL

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Rhaknar

sorry guys, I broke the "dont attack anyone that doesnt attack you" rule.

That little fucker that kicked me down the hole needed to die >_>

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Smithers

That guy is a total shit. He can be a vendor in firelink if you let him live, but its not a big deal.

Tomb of the Giants really sucks. Have you picked up the ring that lets you walk around quietly? Its quite useful for avoiding the skeleton dogs in the dark.

I think if you've been picking up items you should have the torch at this point, its equipped like a shield.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Rhaknar

@Smithers said:

That guy is a total shit. He can be a vendor in firelink if you let him live, but its not a big deal.

Tomb of the Giants really sucks. Have you picked up the ring that lets you walk around quietly? Its quite useful for avoiding the skeleton dogs in the dark.

I think if you've been picking up items you should have the torch at this point, its equipped like a shield.

the torch, or skeleton head lantern (lol) was actually down the hole he kicks you into :) weird zone, kinda cool, I can see it being a pain tho with not having the shield up because of the lantern. Just got the large divine ember, I think I see the way to go because I saw some sort of crawling skeleton, I went back to the bonfire tho, need to do some chores.

edit: lol its one of these guys I think :)

Even if I end up not finishing it because of another O&S type deal, this game is awesome.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By mosespippy

I don't think the catacombs boss is weak to fire. It's just a boss you can do early on to get the rite of kindling (so you can now hold 20 estus). I usually do it before blight town.

There is a spell that you can cast that provides light, and a helm that you can get that provides light. I'd say the helm is the best way to go for Tomb of Giants, but you'll need to do the lava section that is after Quelaag's Domain.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

I don't think the catacombs boss is weak to fire. It's just a boss you can do early on to get the rite of kindling (so you can now hold 20 estus). I usually do it before blight town.

There is a spell that you can cast that provides light, and a helm that you can get that provides light. I'd say the helm is the best way to go for Tomb of Giants, but you'll need to do the lava section that is after Quelaag's Domain.

oh its 20 estus flasks? I thought it was only 15. so you can / have to kindle bonfires...err...3 times then? Also, Ive been wanting to ask this for jsut the regular kindle for 10 flasks, but once you kindle once, they always give more estus correct?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By mosespippy

Yes, once you kindle a bonfire it will always give you the extra estus, and it'll even carry over to new game+. Also, if you revive the firelink shrine's fire keeper she will provide +20 without a need to kindle the fire.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

Yes, once you kindle a bonfire it will always give you the extra estus, and it'll even carry over to new game+. Also, if you revive the firelink shrine's fire keeper she will provide +20 without a need to kindle the fire.

I revived her... man, 20 flasks will make a huge difference, especially when I dont have healing spells. what does the estus goes up to, quality wise? mine is +2 atm (I went back to blighttown and got the one in the pit with the annoying poison dudes)

edit: why do I get the feeling my queelag's fury will be useless in the lava place :( That light-emiting helm would be awesome for the Tomb tho, grrrr

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228  Edited By mosespippy

Estus can go up to +7 but to get enough fire keepers souls to do that in one play through you'd need to kill all the fire keepers which would mean you couldn't upgrade the flask.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Rhaknar

so yeah, the tomb of the giants was too frustrating having to switch out the lamp and the shield, so I went to demon ruins, im liking it so far, first of all you get the awesome black robe set yay, second its a good place for my good old black knight sword +5 (its good against demons), i can 2 shot the capra demons and 3 shot the bull ones :)

did a suicide run to the lava to get the chaos ember now, and I see another loot body on a ledge on lava, tried to jump to it and I couldnt :/

edit: oh yeah, is there ANY reason not to use the ring of favor and protection? I need to decide because I cant remove it, it seems really good from the description

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By mosespippy

The reason to not use it is that you can't remove it without it breaking, so that can limit your build in certain areas. For example, you couldn't use the poison resistant ring and rusted iron ring in Blighttown without breaking the FAP ring. I used it on my first run and there were a couple places where I really considered taking it off. Four Kings specifically, since I was getting my ass kicked. Had to wear the mission based ring for it and wanted the Havel's Ring to adjust my armour for the fight but I didn't need to in the end.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

The reason to not use it is that you can't remove it without it breaking, so that can limit your build in certain areas. For example, you couldn't use the poison resistant ring and rusted iron ring in Blighttown without breaking the FAP ring. I used it on my first run and there were a couple places where I really considered taking it off. Four Kings specifically, since I was getting my ass kicked. Had to wear the mission based ring for it and wanted the Havel's Ring to adjust my armour for the fight but I didn't need to in the end.

ok so I dont need it to turn into something else or anything. Im still using the damn health back on kills ring >_>

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By mosespippy

Did they change the balance on that HP ring on the PC version or something? When I played it only gave back 30HP per kill which made it pretty worthless to me. For me the important rings were FAP, Rusted Iron, Havel's, Steel Protection, Covetous Serpent and Wolf Ring with limited use of elemental or status specific defence rings.

The only rings you'll need later are Artorias' and Orange Charred.*

*Orange Charred isn't necessarily story related but the back door to not need it requires 30 humanity.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

Did they change the balance on that HP ring on the PC version or something? When I played it only gave back 30HP per kill which made it pretty worthless to me. For me the important rings were FAP, Rusted Iron, Havel's, Steel Protection, Covetous Serpent and Wolf Ring with limited use of elemental or status specific defence rings.

The only rings you'll need later are Artorias' and Orange Charred.*

*Orange Charred isn't necessarily story related but the back door to not need it requires 30 humanity.

the life you get back is pretty minimal indeed, stacks up when theres lots of little dudes you 1 shot tho. but yeah, like I said... I have some protection rings, one that gives me poise (wolf?), one thats gives me crit (something?), Havel which Im using, so yeah, I guess I need to stop fucking around and use FAP :)

Fat Fire demon was easy, I assume that is NOT the main boss here in the Demon Ruins. Im going to go down some tree branch, see where that leads me. A lot of bonfires in this place, almost too many, especially compared to some other zones.

edit: holy shit FAP gives alot! 200 health, 30 stamina and 20 load :O

edit2: oh just got that orange charred ring you mentioned from the fire centipede. She kept stepping on me but I shrugged it off and slashed her feet :P Man, everything seems so easy compared to O&S now lol

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By golguin

I remember a post a bit back where you had just discovered that you could jump in the game. It got me thinking if you are aware of all the possible attacks a weapon has. Stuff like jumping attacks, rolling attacks, back rolling attacks, running attacks, and how those attack animations could change depending on if you're holding a weapon with one hand or two hands.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By Rhaknar

@golguin said:

I remember a post a bit back where you had just discovered that you could jump in the game. It got me thinking if you are aware of all the possible attacks a weapon has. Stuff like jumping attacks, rolling attacks, back rolling attacks, running attacks, and how those attack animations could change depending on if you're holding a weapon with one hand or two hands.

im aware of all of that, and i never used any of it >_> sorry dude :( (actually thats a lie, I use the running and rolling ones sometimes, I never use 2 hands tho, I like my shields)

seem to be a bit stuck in demon ruins, killed the fat fire demon, went down the tree branch and killed the fire centipede, but when I go down the other tree branch (before where the fat demon was) the door is locked by some contraption. If I go up, it takes me back to queelag's place. hmmm

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By golguin

The path is through the centipede boss area. Keep the lava ring on and explore the boss room.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Rhaknar

@golguin said:

The path is through the centipede boss area. Keep the lava ring on and explore the boss room.

ah ha! I did that a bit when I got the ring but didnt see anything at a glance so I figured there was nothing

edit: got it, cave on the left, I missed it with all the fire effects. good lord another bonfire, really?

is Havel's armor the "best" in the game by the way? (stats wise, not counting for weight)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By mosespippy

@Rhaknar: Best is a relative term. Havel's has the best poise. Gold Hem robes have the best Fire defence. Elite Knight has the best weight:defence ratio. Others have the best defence for lightning, poison, magic and so on. Personally I felt like Havel's weight wasn't worth the poise most of the time. There are lighter items with the same or better defence. Smough's and Black Iron +5 are comparable to Havel's.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Rhaknar

all these undead t-rexes all over the place are freaking me out man! >_<

edit: hmph, cant find my way out of this fucking trap (fell through the ground where theres poison water and a bunch of those tentacle fuckers) in izalith

edit: Bed Of Chaos is...hard :O

edit: success! 1 down, 3 to go :) Almost missed the light helmet too, I thought it would be from some boss and it was from a normal scarab >_> By the way the firelink shrine only gives me 10 estus, not 20, and I revived the chick

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By Rhaknar

2 down, Nito was ridiculously easy. Also, went back to my Black Knight Sword +5... it just hits so hard for a relatively fast swing. Just wrecks shit.

So 4 kings in new londo is one of them...what / wheres the 4th lord?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By MezZa

@Rhaknar said:

2 down, Nito was ridiculously easy. Also, went back to my Black Knight Sword +5... it just hits so hard for a relatively fast swing. Just wrecks shit.

So 4 kings in new londo is one of them...what / wheres the 4th lord?

There's another area connected to Anor Londo that'll get you to the 4th lord. Can get to it pretty easily by warping to the bonfire closest to where you first got dropped off by the flying things.

Smithers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Smithers

He's in the Dukes Archives. Basically if you go near the start of Anor Londo, near the first bonfire you can find the path.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By mosespippy

Ok, I had to look it up. You have to offer one of the Lord Souls to the Lord Vessel for her to upgrade the bonfire to +20. You'll have to put all 4 there to open the final boss so you might as well put your current ones in.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Rhaknar

The snake dude is always sleeping now and a I can't talk to him, I'm afraid to wack him to wake him up, but I need to go down to hand the souls in

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By mosespippy

You can just drop down the hole.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#246  Edited By Turambar

@Rhaknar said:

The snake dude is always sleeping now and a I can't talk to him, I'm afraid to wack him to wake him up, but I need to go down to hand the souls in

You can just jump down the hole without him. But if you're really worried, just go bare fisted and punch him once.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By Rhaknar

anyone knows any place to farm demon titanite? some guides suggest the one in lost izalith, but he never respawned for me (assuming it means the one before the scarabs that dropped the maggot helm)

Also, starting doing new londo, I got the key from the red cloaked dude in the roof, and he mentioned something about the Abyss. He made it sound like I had to go there for this, but I thought the abyss was optional? I have the abyss ring by the way.

edit: nvm I have to use the ring to jump down, well no havel for me on this fight I guess

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Rhaknar

4 kings down, also easy, just brute forced it. In fact, since O&S, stuff has been pretty easy. either that or im overlvled. Fun tho :P

Can you guys tell me stuff to do before I do the final boss? Since I only have the archive left for the last soul. Besides the Hydra I havent come up to anything I havent done that I can remember. Have I even done any of the DLC?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By mosespippy

The DLC stuff requires you to do stuff past the hydra and in Dukes Archives so you haven't touched it at all. There is a secret area in Blight Town called the Great Hollow (It's a giant tree that you get into through two false walls). Below that is Ash Lake, where there is another Hydra. Have you killed the Hellkite Wyvern and Stray Demon? It sucks that the Izalith Titanite Demon didn't respawn because he's the only one that does. You can find five or six at the bottom of Sen's Fortress if you haven't killed them already.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Rhaknar

@mosespippy said:

The DLC stuff requires you to do stuff past the hydra and in Dukes Archives so you haven't touched it at all. There is a secret area in Blight Town called the Great Hollow (It's a giant tree that you get into through two false walls). Below that is Ash Lake, where there is another Hydra. Have you killed the Hellkite Wyvern and Stray Demon? It sucks that the Izalith Titanite Demon didn't respawn because he's the only one that does. You can find five or six at the bottom of Sen's Fortress if you haven't killed them already.

i was JUST thinking of those demons at the bottom of sens...ugh thats gonna be a pain.

Hellkite Wyvern...Im not sure. wheres that. Stray Demon, you mean when you go back to the asylum? If so yes. Had no idea about that Ash Lake zone, thanks dude :)

Also, should I grow a pair and go have a stab (pun intended) at the basin Hydra?

edit: oh and the shield I made from Sif's soul is a monster, so good.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.