Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Remaster incoming?

• 96 results
    rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

So says this website.

Not familiar with the site or the guy they're quoting, but I'd be down to get a full remaster of DS. The old DSFix stuff worked pretty well at trying to get it running at 60 fps, but it'd be interesting to see what they'd be able to add to the game. And if the servers are going down in February, then maybe this would be good to have hitting around the same time?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

It would be strange, I think. Have any of FROM's other games been remastered in any way? I guess it could be the start of a trend lead by the publisher and not them directly.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By MattGiersoni

My money's on Demon's Souls remaster. The servers are getting shutdown soon and it might not seem strange since it's an old game, but they are kept up by 3 publishers in different regions and all shutting down on the same day. There's also been some rumours about demon's remaster from some personalities involved in the souls community. Demon's remaster seems more likely honestly and I'd prefer that. I won't say no to a Dark Souls remaster though.

@alistercat You could say Dark Souls 2 was remastered, since it's been ported to PS4 and X1 and enhanced.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think the problem was it was coded to run in 30fps so running at 60 caused animation and collision issues. So i am not aure they could actually do 60 on that engine, but i could be wrong. I played it on pc at 30 with 4k(downscaled) resolution and it was great, some updated textures and effects would probably push a remaster a long way imo.

bavelb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd be down for a remaster of either DS or DeS, especially on switch.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls remaster on Xbox sounds strange considering it's already back-compat. The only thing that makes sense about this is that they wanted to port it to switch and that lead to a remaster, but then why didn't they package the trilogy ?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@rorie said:

And if the servers are going down in February, then maybe this would be good to have hitting around the same time?

I thought it was just the Demon's Souls servers that are being shut down?

I actually finished this game again very recently on PC. Even with DSFix, when you put this game next to Dark Souls II it's painfully obvious that DS1 needs a laundry list of visual tweaks. Aesthetically, it's great, but technically there are a whole lot of bad textures and there's a whole lot of covering up bad textures with depth of field effects. I turned off the DoF using DSFix and there were times where I considered turning it back on just to cover stuff up. A remaster could also fix the infamous performance issues that plagued the console versions of Dark Souls 1.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Though I'd rather see a Demon's remaster, Dark 1 on Switch sounds pretty cool. ...if played exclusively in TV mode since I can see people breaking their Switches raging over, those, archers.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already beaten Dark Souls 10+ times and gotten every achievement, but depending on how much work they put into this remaster I could totally see myself doing all of that again.

I hope this leads to them remastering Demon Souls as well.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's fine.

Where's the Demon's Souls remaster? Can't shut those servers down without giving us another option, otherwise my real-life World Tendency will go pure black.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A not-shitty version of Dark Souls (excluding the fan fix) would be appreciated.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Though I'd rather see a Demon's remaster, Dark 1 on Switch sounds pretty cool. ...if played exclusively in TV mode since I can see people breaking their Switches raging over, those, archers.

Man, those archers are no problem. There's a pillar that you can stand in front of that blocks one of them and you can lock on to the other and hit him with a bow or with magic and sidestep his shots. Alternatively, if you have no ranged attacks then you can probably do enough damage to kill the one blocking your way pretty quickly, before the other one has a chance to knock you off the edge with his projectile telephone poles.

boysef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ahhhhhgh, come on just make a Demon's souls remaster. the bandwagoners got a trilogy.

Salbert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Salbert

If they could do a RE1 REmake-style remaster (changing enemy placement, adjusting boss patterns, redesigning areas) for Dark Souls 1, that would be pretty cool.

The downside for that, though, is if they ARE making that, that probably means they haven't been working on a new Souls game or property.

And of course there's also the possibility this is a much more straightforward remake that exists simply to port the existing game to new hardware with improved visuals, bug fixes and other slight adjustments. The upside to that is that makes it more likely a new Souls game or property is probably being made.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know i'm probably in the minority but I feel like Bloodborne and Nioh made the Dark Souls games pretty hard to go back to. The first Dark Souls is the best game in that vein though. I like Demon's Souls but the boss fights werent all that great and Soul Ray was OP as fuck. (not to mention spices being really cheap)

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
    deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have a Demon Souls remake, but I would play a Dark Souls remaster, preferably with changes to the weapon balancing and backstab mechanics (though this will never happen.).

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: I got through them okay. Other people...

Loading Video...

...not so much.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is not the Souls game we asked for

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@salbert said:

If they could do a RE1 REmake-style remaster (changing enemy placement, adjusting boss patterns, redesigning areas) for Dark Souls 1, that would be pretty cool.

The downside for that, though, is if they ARE making that, that probably means they haven't been working on a new Souls game or property.

And of course there's also the possibility this is a much more straightforward remake that exists simply to port the existing game to new hardware with improved visuals, bug fixes and other slight adjustments. The upside to that is that makes it more likely a new Souls game or property is probably being made.

I would be thrilled if they gave DS1 the same treatment they did with DS2 when they made the Scholar of the First Sin Edition.

Dark Souls: Kiln of the First Flame Edition?

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Software is really leaning into not ever doing anything truly new or original, aren't they?

GrizzlyButts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

From Software have made it clear they're not personally making or remaking anything Dark Souls related. Highly doubt it will be a remake of any Souls game.

I could see an HD remaster of Demon's Souls (not Dark Souls, why would they run concurrent servers for both versions?) being outsourced to a studio like Virtuos (they did FFXII and Batman: Return to Arkham).

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From Software is really leaning into not ever doing anything truly new or original, aren't they?

Yeah, 'cos that's really easy and that's what all the other developers do.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@grizzlybutts said:

From Software have made it clear they're not personally making or remaking anything Dark Souls related. Highly doubt it will be a remake of any Souls game.

From Software isn't doing a remake, but rumor is that they don't have the rights towards remakes. Apparently the ability to do remakes and remasters lies with the respective publishers, i.e. Sony & Namco. So this could be Namco doing a quick remaster for cash. If so, we shouldn't expect a lot of polish or upgrades, but rather just making these games functional enough to resell.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, they did have From's logo in that splash screen during The Switch presentation. Maybe they're looking to bring some stuff to that platform. The rumour mill's been churning around so long that I'll only be a believer when I see it. Demon's is the one you do it with, seeing as fewer will have played it.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By soulcake

Dave Lang is making the new Dark Souls remastered. The ending credits is just Dave yelling "we never gonna get a other windjammers".

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd imagine both Sony and Namco are keen on putting out something in the series in the next couple of years given From's statement that they'd step away from that style of game for a while. A remaster of Dark Souls makes sense, though I don't want it to be a Scholar of the First Sin style remix unless it's optional. If they clean up some of the later portions of the game, that would be just swell. Ultimately, this is a big franchise for Namco and I doubt they're going to let it pass quietly when it's still so popular.

I think a Demon's Souls remaster is more likely since A) Servers are getting shut down B) It's a pretty big Sony exclusive that's only on PS3 and C) Sony just loves putting out remasters of their exclusives. It helps fill out a schedule with exclusive content while letting them skip backwards compatibility and the development cost for brand new games.

Honestly, both these could easily be true. The motivation and timing is there for either scenario. If I were them, I'd be doing it for sure. If it's Dark Souls, a Game Awards announcement is a possible spot. If it's Demon's, PSX.

Best case scenario, it's a Demon's Souls remaster with that final archstone added in. That's a pipe dream though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f39c75856922
    deactivated-5f39c75856922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's next, they put GTA on the Switch?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By RonGalaxy

Wouldn't be surprised at all. Bandai Namco seems like the type of company that would push for something like this. Also, dark souls would be a terrible portable game.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Lukeweizer

Been rumoured for years it feels like. I'll believe it when I see it.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MezZa

@ripelivejam: That seems like a weird statement to make considering they started the souls movement. Are we expecting them to create an entirely new style of games that everyone wants to copy every 5 to 7 years or so? They did something more creative and new than a lot of other devs do. And they publicly stated they're stepping away from the Souls games, so they wouldn't be involved with a remake.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By notnert427
    @soulcake said:

Dave Lang is making the new Dark Souls remastered. The ending credits is just Dave yelling "we never gonna get a other windjammers".

Dave Lang should be the final boss. Dark Lang.

Attacks:
    Bat-Tech - Will appear temporarily vulnerable to backstab, and will stab the player over his shoulder. Susceptible to fall damage during attack.
    Summons:
    Johnny V - Tweets out Dave Lang's cell phone number, distracting Dark Lang.
    First form:
    HITMAN - Most difficult portion of the fight. Dark Lang yells "Get Fucked Boi!" at the player with each successful attack.
    Second form:
    Plastered - At 50% health, Dark Lang enters a largely ineffectual, but intimidating phase in which Dark Lang yells nonsense aggressively. Ed Boon is briefly summoned as a dark phantom, but then disappears.
    Strategies:
    Bite the nose - If the player gets close enough during the Plastered portion of the fight, Dark Lang will allow attacks to his nose.
    Drops:
    Cell phone - Can be traded to NPC Some Fucking Hobo for 10 souls. Lore hints that in the future, it will end up in China.

I would buy this game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

we need a demon's souls remaster. you can already play the rest of the souls games on current gen systems.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I assumed the Demon's Souls Remaster was coming really after the server shutdown news. I'm not sure how I feel about a Dark Souls Remaster. Seems a bit soon.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've already played it many, many times and don't enjoy it like I used to. I'm done with it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I don't think we're getting a remaster of either honestly.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point I'd much rather prefer Bloodborne on PC.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demon souls and Bloodborne remasters would be sony only so i dont see From spending time on them, i dont think Bloodborne even got a pspro update did it?

Dark souls would need to be a complete remake imo since its engine is built to be capped at 30 . Pc fans go rabbid at anything under 60 these days. Maybe it wouldnt be that hard to translate to the ds3 engine?

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@salbert said:

I disagree. I think DS1 is Mario 1 levels iconic that changing enemy and loot placement wouldn't be worth it. DS2 SotFs didn't do that much to engage the fanbase that felt left down either.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@salbert said:

I disagree. I think DS1 is Mario 1 levels iconic that changing enemy and loot placement wouldn't be worth it. DS2 SotFs didn't do that much to engage the fanbase that felt left down either.

If there is something I think they should change for a remaster, it would be to improve the later areas. Izalith in particular is pretty bad.

But that's the sort of stuff that doesn't usually get done for remasters. It's too much work, and it's usually outsourced to a different team that doesn't want to step on any toes.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, From's working on a new thing. Shadows Die Twice sure sounds like a Souls title.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: I think that trailer isn’t Dark Souls related but something related to Shadow Tower. That was a series for the PS1 and PS2 (only in Japan I think) and From has said they are done with Souls after DS3.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shindig

I know. I'm just wondering whether they'll take some mechanical ideas across or go for a clean break. It's going to be weird. The souls series gave that company a sense of direction they've never had before.

Mainstream media in the UK's explicitly calling it Bloodborne 2.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: It very well could be, it just was not the first thing I thought of when I saw that teaser. I think it would be pretty neat if they went back and something with one of their long lost franchises like Shadow Tower or Kings Field and did something modern with it. But if It is Bloodborne 2 than that is also very cool as that is my favorite of the Souls game released recently so I'm just happy they are making more stuff.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@an_ancient said:
    @salbert said:

If there is something I think they should change for a remaster, it would be to improve the later areas. Izalith in particular is pretty bad.

But that's the sort of stuff that doesn't usually get done for remasters. It's too much work, and it's usually outsourced to a different team that doesn't want to step on any toes.

That I agree with. Effort aside you are right about Izalith.

sandrawilf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please come to the Switch! I need a portable Dark Souls!

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Puchiko

Kotaku seems to think its official

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/01/11/report-dark-souls-1-remastered-for-switch-ps4-xbox-one-and-pc-being-announced-today

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@puchiko: And more importantly that it's coming to Switch... A re-release of DS1 probably wasn't enough for me to purchase, but on Switch it might just be.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Its real. its on the upcoming page on the Japanese eshop on switch. 4644yen 24.5.2018

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.