Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Remaster incoming?

• 96 results
    Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't imagine the Switch version looking much better than the PS3 version so I will stick with the PS4 remaster. If the PS4 version has a locked 60 FPS that would make it a day one purchase for me.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't beaten a Souls game yet, but if I enjoy Demon's Souls, you better believe I'm picking up that Switch version.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Zevvion

Getting it on PS4, PC and Switch. PS4 first (friends are there), PC when discounted a reasonable amount (because PS4 won't last forever) and Switch because I want to play it everywhere.

@puchiko said:

I can't imagine the Switch version looking much better than the PS3 version so I will stick with the PS4 remaster. If the PS4 version has a locked 60 FPS that would make it a day one purchase for me.

"Experience the rich world of Dark Souls in upscaled 4K resolution with 60FPS when playing on a PlayStation 4 Pro system, Xbox One X, and PC," reads the press release. "Also, 1080p resolution with 30FPS is available when playing the game on Nintendo Switch with its TV mode."

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By MattGiersoni

Trilogy Special Collector's Edition exclusive for PS4, 500$ but if I was rich I'd get that. All games, all soundtracks, artbooks and statue for holding it all. What a beautiful edition:

No Caption Provided

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Looks like I'm buying it three times lololol (well prob just PS4 and Switch at first)

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat!

@zevvion said:

Getting it on PS4, PC and Switch. PS4 first (friends are there), PC when discounted a reasonable amount (because PS4 won't last forever) and Switch because I want to play it everywhere.

@puchiko said:

"Experience the rich world of Dark Souls in upscaled 4K resolution with 60FPS when playing on a PlayStation 4 Pro system, Xbox One X, and PC," reads the press release. "Also, 1080p resolution with 30FPS is available when playing the game on Nintendo Switch with its TV mode."

... So what's the performance like on PS4 vanilla classic?

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've never been so happy about the announcement of a port. Portable Skyrim, Darkest Dungeon, and now Dark Souls. What did I do to deserve this?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@puchiko: I'm a little skeptical about them only doing revamped lighting and textures, if this isn't on a new engine then adding textures would need to rewrite the engine (anybody who modded on pc knows the limit is like 300kb or something crazy). I hope this is a remake on the bloodborne/ds3 engine.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder how they're gonna handle some stuff on the Switch, specifically what the game does when you hit the easily accessible power button mid-invasion, boss fight, death, etc. I imagine there's not much they can do to stop people from abusing that.

Either way it'll be a tossup between PS4 and PC for me. I imagine they're not gonna do anything too fancy like HDR or 4K textures, so I'm leaning towards PC just so I don't have to pay for the online.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By MezZa

@teddie: The power button (or just killing the program) is just as accessible on a PC so im not sure why this would be a unique challenge to the switch

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By TheChris

@teddie: It’s being remade in the Dark Souls 3 engine so that is a lot already.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

hopefully they'll be nice and give an added discount for those who already own the pc version of dark souls.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@marz: That sounds like a silly notion. It was 8 years ago(or... 7?) and they're redoing the whole game in a new engine.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They confirmed the new engine? I just heard something about new textures and such.
    Also, PS4/XONE with 1080p60, even the old models.

No Caption Provided

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

@marz: That sounds like a silly notion. It was 8 years ago(or... 7?) and they're redoing the whole game in a new engine.

it's not that silly when companies give out free remastered copies of their games to previous owners on steam Skyrim SE, Titan Quest etc, wasn't asking for a free upgrade just a 10% discount or something.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By echasketchers

Yes! I was hoping this was real, I'll be getting the Xbone and Switch versions. Already beat it multiple times but if they do it right this is gonna be awesome.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

PS4 or Switch? Choices must be made.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if it's 1080p 60 then it has to be on a new engine because if you unlocked 60 in the old engine you would clip through walls etc because the game was actually programmed around 30fps.

They confirmed the new engine? I just heard something about new textures and such.

Also, PS4/XONE with 1080p60, even the old models.

No Caption Provided

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

As long as it feels the same I'll 100% buy this.

Never did get around to fighting Artorias.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not making any decisions until I see how the Switch handles Blighttown. The true benchmark.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Unless you fly a ton for work, what's the draw of playing this on switch? You're going to play a game that requires intense focus and that you can't pause on public transit? Sounds like a nightmare. I would want to be playing docked and at that point, I would want the performance.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Shindig

The game saves everywhere so a portable version fits better than you'd think. As long as you don't throw it across the room, bus, etc.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious how the PS4 version looks. I don't know if I'd play it. I loved the game but perhaps had my fill of it. It would have been cool to have both Dark Souls and Demon's Souls remastered.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
    deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Laaaaame, got excited for nothing :|

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will absolutely buy this on Switch. It'll be winter here in Aus and sitting in bed all cozy playing Dark Souls sounds like an ace time!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magusmaleficus: I played dark souls running at 30fps but at 4k res on my pc a couple years ago, so i think if console users can get that or even 1080p with a few higher res textures it may still be a huge upgrade for them. However, this isn't making me very excited as someone who owns the pc version.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bybeach

Not beginning to sound like much. But good for people with a Switch.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting anything more than a version of DS1 that finally doesn't run like shit without any hangups (even PC still has the 60fps issues, and requires a fan-made fix for pretty much all use cases), so I can't say I'm exactly disappointed to know everything's staying the same. To be honest, reading the bit about "combat changes" and DS3's engine sounded more like a downside to me, as much as I love DS3.

Axersia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Axersia

So what are the odds of this remaster letting you warp from the get-go? That's what killed the game for me compared to Demon's Souls (among other things...). It's so focused on exploration, yet it punishes you for doing so as you could get yourself stuck in an area that you don't know how to deal with. There's no real benefit to straying from the "canon" path unless you already know the game.

Of course, they've rectified this in future installments, but I'd really like to have that kind of freedom in the original Dark Souls as well.

Either way I'll definitely pick it up for Switch, which is quickly becoming my 2nd favorite console of all time.

SeriuzBiznus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The never did a full Dark Souls 2 playthrough, right? Would be cool to have a new Breaking Brad series with DS2 on Switch.

echasketchers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@axersia I actually kind of like that you can't warp from the start, it adds some tension that is missing from the later games. Plus it's so satisfying when you finally get the lordvessel, feels like a really big accomplishment. Like, I'm glad they let you warp from the start in 2 and 3 but it works in the first game with the way the world is designed. Of course, the first time I played I went all the way to Ash Lake before getting the lordvessel and had to climb all the way back up...wasn't all that pleasant (ended up getting cursed on top of it).

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Panfoot
    Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope they end up remixing the levels like Scholar of the First Sin. That's the only way I could see myself getting the Remaster.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By hippie_genocide

@axersia I actually kind of like that you can't warp from the start, it adds some tension that is missing from the later games. Plus it's so satisfying when you finally get the lordvessel, feels like a really big accomplishment. Like, I'm glad they let you warp from the start in 2 and 3 but it works in the first game with the way the world is designed.

Agree 100%. I like that you have to earn the ability to warp to bonfires in DS1. It's no small coincidence that the world building is so much stronger than in 2 and 3.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Hearing that the textures will be "upscaled" is worrying since they're a lot of the reason the first game looks so bad. Lighting changes will really help but... I dunno.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it plays as well as they say and it looks better Ill get it. The sequels never hooked me like that first game and plying it with more tightened technical....stuff seems like it would be fun.

Will be interesting to see how that switch version goes...

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

@teddie said:

Wonder how they're gonna handle some stuff on the Switch, specifically what the game does when you hit the easily accessible power button mid-invasion, boss fight, death, etc. I imagine there's not much they can do to stop people from abusing that.

Either way it'll be a tossup between PS4 and PC for me. I imagine they're not gonna do anything too fancy like HDR or 4K textures, so I'm leaning towards PC just so I don't have to pay for the online.

It's just as easy to close application on a console or PC. Dark Souls saves incredibly frequently, and quickly at that. They don't even like you turning the game off without quitting to the main menu - you get a stern Mr Resetti-style message, though that's usually the extent of it. Also you could already quit during boss fights (you reload outside the arena) or while falling (you'll reload on whatever you were last standing on) if you're quick about it.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice for people who haven't played it, but I doubt I'll ever play through it again. 2000-something hours was enough for me.

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember blight town on the ps3? Looked and played like ass. It was like watching a slideshow. I can't imagine the switch version will play at a locked 30 fps either.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Be prepared for a party invite cause I’ve yet to finish this one

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@redhotchilimist: Since they specifically said the Pro when they talked about 60fps, I'm going to assume OGPS4 is just 30fps 1080.

@dispossession: Sure thing.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping this would be more than just an upres/framerate, I've already got that on PC.

I wanted the gameplay improvements from the later iterations added like proper directional rolling or grid based inventory UI. It would've also been nice if they decided to finish the back 1/4 of the game.

Looks like I'll be skipping this one.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As I suggested earlier, I'm a little sick of their formula but I also keep throwing myself at it too thinking, "this will be the time!" though it never is. Have about 30 hrs in this and DS2. $40 for Switch version is a good price, at any rate.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: the tweet said it will be 60 FPS on PS4, XBOX One and PC. The PC and PS4 Pro stated 4K.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funky Mode when?

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.