Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

So I walked off the edge...

tw1sted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tw1sted

I tell you, Dark Souls instills this weird kind of fear that no other game does.

It doesn't jump out at you (except for those dogs, god damn they are quiet), but it's some weird kind of psychological fear that makes you afraid of the game itself.

That said, I just experienced said fear when I had returned from a bathroom break after pausing in front of the first fog screen in Blight Town, which means I was standing on a meter-wide platform and could easily fall off. Then I grabbed my headphones and put them on, only to discover that the cord was hooked on the left analogue stick. I experienced in slow motion as I tried to put on my headphones as quickly as possible so I could fix the cord, but doing so only pulled it more and before I knew it, I walked right off the platform and fell to my death.

Now this is definitely not as bad as some stories I've heard on this forum, at least I didn't kill an NPC and I was close to a bonfire. But still, the fear I felt as my guy walked off the edge of the platform, completely out of my control, was something I don't think any other game has managed to make me experience.

That said: I love this game.

In your experience, what moment was the most psychologically terrifying for you?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Chummy8

By having a real consequence to player death, Dark Souls is one of the scariest games I have ever played. I haven't played much, but there have been at least two "oh shit, wtf is that??" moments in this game already.

mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By mason

That sounds familiar. The fact that you can still move while in your menu screen seems to lead to a lot of mishaps.

But that moment of fear for me was definitely that time I was exploring more of the sewers from the bottom up. I didn't want a repeat of the last time I fell into the pit of basilisks (froggy big eyes). Since the jump is unreliable, I thought I better clear out the basilisks one-by-one from the lower levels first, before attempting to jump over those holes upstairs.

So as I enter and start sneaking up on the first Basilisk with my bow and arrow, a black phantom has entered my game! At the worst possible time! This of course was just the AI-controlled phantom Kirk and a scripted event so no big deal, but I freaked out as if it was a real person doing this to me.

I try to ready myself to block him, but it doesn't work. Somehow I brought up the menu, so I'm defenseless without realizing why. Then the basilisk notices and comes behind me and starts to gas me as I'm getting hit by Kirk. I bleed, die and get cursed at the same time. Stupid Kirk.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Ravenlight

I can tell that Dark Souls is definitely not my kind of game, but I really enjoy reading other people's horror stories. Keep posting, you crazy masochists!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.