Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Start Over.

morlockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By morlockman

I'm 45 hours in...

...And I'm making my way through a handsome crystal palace when I encounter a foggy boss door. Hoping to preserve the bounty of souls on my person after my imminent death, I equip a Rare Ring of Sacrifice and then get my ass handed to me by a strange lizard creature who sprouts crystals from the floor. After my death, however, instead of respawning at the bonfire at the start of the level, I'm inexplicably transported to a different bonfire--one I've never seen before and haven't yet lit, presumably in a different part of the same dungeon. On-screen text informs me that I haven't lost anything. But I'm trapped in a tiny room I've never been in before with two locked exits and no secret escapes, and the bonfire I've been placed at will not let me warp away. I think that I've lost quite a lot.

START OVER.

NekuCTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuCTR

Damn, that's dark man.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Milkman

What? Can that actually happen?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By McShank

@NekuCTR said:

Damn, that's dark man.

I see what you did there :D

@morlockman: If you have a homeward bone, use it as you should be sent to the last bonfire you actually sat at and not the one you ressurected at. unless, you know.. you sat at the bonfire -.-

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rudyftw

Wanna see something disturbing?

Scroll all the way down to the Screened article \/

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @morlockman

DON'T START OVER!!!

This is supposed to happen.
    There is a snake guard just outside your cell, you can hit him from inside and he drops the key.
    morlockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By morlockman

@Tennmuerti: Thank you for Saving my Life.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Maajin

Oh, God. Thank god you didn't start over. That would be tragic.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AyKay_47

People need to realize that the game will NEVER fuck you hard enough to necessitate a restart. Only you can do that.

morlockman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By morlockman

@Maajin:

Yes. I feel a bit foolish for not realizing my plight was actually scripted. But I'm glad I shared this little misadventure with you folks. You have helped me out of a serious pickle.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SuperWristBands

@AyKay_47 said:

People need to realize that the game will NEVER fuck you hard enough to necessitate a restart. Only you can do that.

Really? Cause this game can be kinda glitchy. I mean, if a boss can casually walk through a wall, chillin' in the nothingness for a few minutes and then just dieing, I wouldn't put it past it. I'm reminded of Fable 3, where people would fall through the ground and be in a constant falling animation, unable to do anything but restart. I am in constant fear of this.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Joeyoe31

I don't think the game, any game for that matter, would do something this intentionally bad. You could also just warp out with the lordsvessel from that bonfire in your cell. But hey maybe I'm crazy.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AyKay_47

@SuperWristBands: Now, I've never had it happen to me, but if one were to phase through a wall or something I would imagine the worst that could happen is death, just like with the mobs, and it should be quick enough to have the bloodstain in regular geometry.

On the other hand, I did come very close to freaking out once because I fell off a ledge and got stuck in a tiny gap between two walls. My dude just kinda floated there for a good 10 seconds, but then seemed to get blasted off back onto solid ground.

As far as thinking "Oh shit, I'm stuck in this hard area I wandered into, better restart", that's just silly. If you walked in, you can walk out.

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By StrikeALight

Seriously though, this game has made me its bitch. And by this point, I would totally start over.

Glad you don't have to, though.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By McGhee

Stuff like this is why this game is so awesome. Dark Souls just trolled you.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ouch that would have been rough

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SuperWristBands

@AyKay_47 said:

As far as thinking "Oh shit, I'm stuck in this hard area I wandered into, better restart", that's just silly. If you walked in, you can walk out.

I agree, but I didn't really feel that that is what the OP was talking about. The way I read it, he felt he was glitched past the boss and unable to leave a room that should have opened after the boss and wasn't opened because he was glitched past it. Fortunately that was not what happened, and as someone said earlier, Dark Souls trolled him.

AyKay_47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AyKay_47

@SuperWristBands said:

@AyKay_47 said:

I agree, but I didn't really feel that that is what the OP was talking about. The way I read it, he felt he was glitched past the boss and unable to leave a room that should have opened after the boss and wasn't opened because he was glitched past it. Fortunately that was not what happened, and as someone said earlier, Dark Souls trolled him.

That makes sense. I guess when that happened to me, having played Demon's Souls, I just thought back to dying at the first boss and being teleported to the Nexus.

What I'm mostly trying to say is that people keep flipping out about "bugs and glitches", but the game wouldn't have gotten a metacritic 89 if it were so buggy it could fuck up your experience. It's not hard because it's broken, it's hard because the devs are perfectly competent but are complete trolls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.