Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

The differences between t he original and Remastered editions have been revealed

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

If you're interested! Some of the bigger ones (to me)

• It's now easier for friends to be matched with each other. When the guest player’s character level and weapon is higher than that of the host player, the level will be adjusted accordingly.
      • Healing items will not be available during PvP with the exception of Estus Flasks. To prevent long and drawn out battles, the number of Estus Flasks is halved for phantoms.

Players can select the number of usable items, such as consumable souls or covenant items, to use instead of one at a time as in the original game.

• When the up or down directional pad button is held down, the first item equipped will be selected.
    • The online network has been changed from P2P to dedicated servers.

I never really played much PVP or co-op in any of these games so a lot of the stuff involved isn't super relevant to me, but it sounds like it'll change things around a bunch for people who are into that kind of thing. I still need to beat DS3, I guess.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm torn on buying this for my new Switch. On one hand I've played Dark Souls through to then end twice already. On the other hand it would be extremely novel to have the game in handheld form.

It's also one of my top 10 of all time.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

If I got it, I'd get it on the PS4. I went through all the games in 2016 though, and I just saw footage of the PS4 version and I'm not sure it looks enticing enough. It might be different if I had actually gone through it and played it last when it originally came out, but it was only 2016. Also, I play the games offline. The first time I ever summoned another player, and somewhat unbeknownst to me, was a couple of months ago when I went back to DS3 and DS2 to finish off a few things I hadn't done. The remaster of this game had me excited so I went back. I couldn't remember how to turn off the online portion of DS2, or if you can, but when I went back to the Burnt Ivory King I saw a black summon sign. I'll definitely summon NPC's to help, so I just jumped at the opportunity to summon. I thought it was weird that the sign was black so I was skeptical, but I did it anyway and right when the player was coming up I was actually kind of nervous since I had no idea what would happen as I never did it. That said, we went on and defeated the boss and it was actually really satisfying.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it'll be tempting to double dip switch and ps4 pro versions

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

There's some side-by-side video out now too (looks to be recorded off-screen, though). I actually kind of prefer the DSFix version, but who knows.

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have they said what the amiibo do?

benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

To be honest, the changes to the gameplay are almost more than I expected, I basically thought of the remaster as a "we now ship with DSfix on everything"*
    That said, I'm still not sure if this is enough to get me to buy the game again. If it were a port to the DS3 engine, I'd be there day 1, but as is, I think it's only appealing to people who never played it before and want to play it on a console they're still using.

*except the Switch

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kblosnack

I just need to know if they'll release a physical edition here in Brazil or if I'll need to import it

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Seauton

It may be ridiculous but I am probably going to get in on PS4 and Switch....the idea of it on hand held is super appealing for reasons.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'll probably buy the Switch version if the framerate - including Blighttown - holds up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been flirting with the idea of picking this up. The only Soulsborne game I've played was Bloodborne and I did not finish it. In my mind I dropped off halfway through because of other games, but I suspect I just wan't enjoying it enough to push through to the end. If I did pick this up it would be on PS4 that way I could have the enitre series in one place if I ended up loving them.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm good thanks, i'd sooner buy the scholar of the first sin edition of Dark Souls II but i'm not in any rush to do that either. Personally playing Bloodborne made it hard to go back to the souls games. But this game is definitely a classic worthy of a remaster, as is Demon's Souls.

Have they said what the amiibo do?

I think the Solaire amiibo just does the "praise the sun" emote when you use it. Kind of stupid but for fans of the series it's worth having for the figure alone. (sold out though)

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shindig  Online

Small tweaks. The more I think about it, I'm better sticking with the PC version with DSFix.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't even know you could scale the UI with DSfix. That's pretty cool that they put that in.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

it'll be tempting to double dip switch and ps4 pro versions

I'm basically doing that. I would feel worse about it, but Dark Souls is one of the most formative games I've ever played. So I'm not really blinking an eye.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems pretty cool for console players, only thing that has me interested is 60fps without technical glitches. Also is shorter pvp what people wanted?

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

Only reason I am all that interested at this point is that it is coming to switch.

Would love to see something more like the DS2 update that flipped some stuff around and made it new and exciting again.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Many of these DSfix comparison videos seem to treat DSfix as a thing you just install and be done with it. You can change a bunch of parameters in DSfix to improve it even beyond the default settings.

Dispossession

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m stoked for this fucking game. Now, if only there was a resurgence in DS2

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's the obligatory Digital Foundry analysis. I have mixed feelings about this. The graphical and performance upgrades aren't insignificant, but I was hoping they'd at least redesign the menus. The first Dark Souls had the ugliest and least intuitive inventory UI I've seen in a game to date.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I feel like the Switch version is only one valid for me to buy as any of the changes aren't all that appealing to me. The idea to play Dark Souls anywhere on a handheld like the Switch though is pretty cool.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Shindig  Online

Okay, so I've modded the PC version up with the overhaul stuff and I have reasons to probably buy this on console.

1. I can only manage 720p/60fps.
    2. And it stutters when loading the new textures.
    3. And my PC has a tendency to kill itself.

My main problem with the pre-release coverage is how they've skewed towards 4K. Just tell me how this runs on a base console. And From missed a trick not showing Blightown and Izalith.

hnke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I watched a side by side and it looks worse than the DSfixed game in a lot of ways. Obviously smoother and higher res, but less distinct and more washed-out. Big disappointment.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shindig  Online

There's no ambient occlusion in the build that's been shown which ... I hope they sort out.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hnke: i mean i played it in 4k with texture mods so i highly doubt it will look as good as the pc version could look on good hardware, but for a console version it looks pretty good as an upgrade.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.