Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Twitch Is Playing Dark Souls

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Oh wow, just checked in and they rang the first bell. Ridiculous!

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#202 thatpinguino  Moderator

@sinusoidal: Is all of this new-found progress a result of the assholes mostly leaving the chat now that the slowdown has made things unwatchable?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Is all of this new-found progress a result of the assholes mostly leaving the chat now that the slowdown has made things unwatchable?

Very possible. The stream hovers around 1000 viewers until a boss fight pops up when it maxes out around 1500-1800. There hasn't been anything like the numbers of the first few days. Maybe more impressive is they've actually put their souls into decent levels, have gotten the club to +4 and bought a repair and smithing box, all without killing an NPC.

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 thatpinguino  Moderator

@sinusoidal: Ok so the smaller, more dedicated group of viewers democratically controlling the game has allowed for progress that the original parameters couldn't.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thatpinguino: the delay also helps substantially because it mitigates the problem of input lag. One of the biggest problems the first few days was that you'd enter a command based on what was happening on the stream and the character would take the action like 20 or 30 seconds later so you had to anticipate what would be happening 30 seconds in advance (which is impossible in dark souls)

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@twi: Won't solaire and lautrec take the gargoyles down on their own if you just stand there and allow them to?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Sinusoidal

@bceagles128 said:

@twi: Won't solaire and lautrec take the gargoyles down on their own if you just stand there and allow them to?

That's exactly what they did...

The days of summons killing bosses for us is over though. Capra fight is happening right now, we're looking pretty good. He's down to about half life, we've got 6 Estus and nearly full life and a Zweihander.

Edit: Wow, they made Capra look easy. I have more trouble fighting him!

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By bceagles128

I hear you. I was a part of the original Asylum demon fights (both the one where we beat him w the pause and the ones where died without it)

As a souls veteran, I will admit that I am literally incapable of beating capra fairly. I cheese him every time. I can make it through blightown without a problem sans the key and I regularly solo the Smelter douche, without getting touched a single time. But the capra always kicks my ass unless I kite him up and down those stairs. Whatever.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I cheese him with firebombs over the fog door. I struggle to beat him legit. They manage to tank him but the pause does allow the chat to react to things with heals much easier.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
    deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

No Caption Provided

Yeah, so we just beat the Gaping Dragon. I actually couldn't believe they pulled it off. They got greedy and they were rewarded. Jump attacked him as he was about to murder them.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#211  Edited By Monkeyman04

@drgreatjob: WOW! I can't believe the progress they are making. I would love to watch a super cut of this play through since I don't have the patience to watch the thing live and have to wait between moves.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Last night I saw them take him down to half health. The numbers now seem sub-900 so the guys in there are mostly focused on pushing on. My only concern is how the delay deals with Sens Fortress. And their build won't cut it against O&S.

Avatar image for ramrodnineniner
    RamrodNineNiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sens Fortress seems legitimately impossible. The timing required for the swinging axes,plus the need to step onto the thinnest bridges perfectly perpendicular, will create quite a challenge.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Sinusoidal

Yeah, more fine motor control will be required for Sen's. Presumably some kind of camera rotation control so we can line up walkways. Dunno how streamer's going to implement that..

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Sinusoidal

Quelaag going down right now!

Edit: That was intense. 9 of 10 Estus left. Completely rekt! Onto Sen's! Oh boy...

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: Thanks for the updates. I really want to see someone edit out all the pauses and watch the full run of it. That is if they can get past Sen's.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyman04: Yeah, I think that if anything kills this run, it'll be Sen's. Unless streamer implements some more fine movement controls. The problem is the command list is already getting a bit ridiculous after they added camera controls for Blighttown. Never thought I'd be watching turn based Dark Souls and madly typing "nflong" into chat over and over...

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if they will ever beat it.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they'll get the delay down to a manageable level but it requires the players to wait which, on a vote based system, means the guy that goes, "forward" can fuck it up for the rest of them. Although they'll ruin Iron Golem. Any boss that can be tanked, will be tanked.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, they've made it past the blades.

GStats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hang on, you can get past the Undead Asylum? I just thought that was the whole game ;-)

MalibuProfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By MalibuProfen

I've been following the stream consistently ever since the Taurus Demon was killed, and I've even tried to act as a quasileader at times on the stream when the 'day/evening crew' is doing its thing - trying to act as an objective diplomat when given branching options on where to go, acting as the verifying map guy, reminding people on various tactics/commands, and overall trying to keep people focused. For some reason I find the whole thing very fascinating and it's just one more unique way to experience the Dark Souls game that I've only beat myself once, but seen now several blind and speed runs of.

The constant adding and evolution of commands has been vital for more precise situations within the game. Especially when comparing the early anarchy days when nothing was accomplished to this day when some/most people playing honestly believe that they/we can beat the game. The streamer is still fine-tuning things according to the feedback given which will help further along the game.

Oh, and if someone doesn't have time to watch an archived replay of, let's say for example a three-and-a-half hour fight against Gaping Dragon - since who really does - there's a YouTube channel that has conveniently edited real-time versions of all the boss fights up to now.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tarkus summoned. That 600th death's going to come courtesy of Anor Londo.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By Sinusoidal

I spent the day away from my computer and missed the entirety of Sen's. I thought it was going to take a week. They're fighting the Iron Golem right now. He's almost dead. They've got 3 Estus left and full life. Twitch is going to beat Dark Souls in less time than it takes some people to play through the game regularly.

Edit: That might have been the most intense fight yet. Tarkus was completely useless for 90% of it, then took a clutch grab for them at the end and gave them the opportunity to get behind Iron Golem and finish him. So good!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Erm... wow. I hope they pull this one off because the action edit features something outstanding.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By Monkeyman04

They just defeated the Iron Golem!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crossing the Painting Guardian rafters right now....

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they were initially doing it WAS impossible, but now that it has that massive delay for them to input commands and now that there's less than a thousand people around, they'll probably be able to achieve it. I'm actually impressed regardless of the changes they made.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Probably the worst fight Tarkus will ever have.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shindig said:
    Loading Video...

Probably the worst fight Tarkus will ever have.

There is no way I could watch the stream (already tried and way too slow), but the normal speed boss kills are interesting. Making a Tank build was for sure the way to go. Any way to see the stats of their build?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Sinusoidal

The stream has devolved into a hilarious fight between trolls angry at the death of Priscilla doing their best to prevent getting past the Anor Londo Archers and everyone else.

It's pretty entertaining in an awful kind of way.

Edit: To a great soundtrack. We've gone from Van Halen's "Jump" to MC Hammer's "Can't Touch This" over the course of the past few minutes...

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am honestly super jealous that Twitch, even with the added delay for inputting commands and what not, has gotten further than I have in Dark Souls. :D

I watched some of this while I did some end of summer cleaning at my house this past weekend and it was pretty cool. I like watching the chat and people plotting what to do next. It's a pretty interesting thing to see play out, although it is very slow. But I love seeing mistakes being made and then the people in real time reacting to it and trying to fix it.

But yeah, I kind of dropped the game for a bit when I hit Sen's Fortress and was repeatedly getting ganked by the first two Serpent Men at the entrance. I have less patience, apparently, than Twitch collectively...

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jadegl: You need the motivational power of trolls trying to thwart your every move. It's an interesting push-pull dynamic for sure. No trolls, and chat loses focus and just kind of messes around. Throw a few trolls in there, everyone has a common enemy and the right command votes start pouring in.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, first encounter with Ornstein & Smough has commenced as of this moment. Cautiously optimistic..

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By Shindig

VICTORY ACHIEVED!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, moments before I got home from work.

*sigh*

At least I'm here for the 820 people working feverishly together to zoom in on Gwynevere's rack... :-P

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, moments before I got home from work.

*sigh*

At least I'm here for the 820 people working feverishly together to zoom in on Gwynevere's rack... :-P

Amazing chest ahead. :D

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, just watched the replay/zero delay video of the O&S fight and they almost got killed at the end. I think they've got this in the bag until Bed of Chaos. That's a bitch and a half playing regularly. But I also said that Sens was gonna be the end of the stream and they got past that...Time will tell.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of the Bed of Chaos. They're on their way right now. At the bonfire just before it. There are only five bosses total left: Bed of Chaos, Nito, Manus, Kalameet and Gwyn. The plan seems to be to take all of those out before finishing the game. It's looking a whole lot like the answer is: Yes, Twitch chat can beat Dark Souls.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd imagine the delay will help them line up the drop / jump.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Sinusoidal

Bed of Chaos down. Gave them far more trouble than any other recent boss. They ended up cheesing him by quitting mid-fight and reloading to be outside the fog door after breaking its glowing balls. Nito and Gwyn are the only non-DLC bosses left, though it looks like people want to take out Manus and Kalameet as well..

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Sinusoidal

Nito, Kalameet and Manus all dead. Only Gwyn remains...

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By fram

@sinusoidal: I know they're pausing and all, but it's still utterly ridiculous that this is happening.

EDIT: I wonder if more trolls will try to screw it up now that they're so close to the end.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fram: Yep. Stream viewer numbers have tripled in the past couple hours. They are killing the second last knight outside Gwyn's door as I type this. You Got the Power is playing.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope there is a video of the full run without the pauses. I would totally watch that.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Sinusoidal
    fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Twitch chat skipping every song is hilarious. It's like having your phone on shuffle and skipping every track despite being like a minute from home.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And it's done. Twitch chat has gone insane. Chaos has been unleashed...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.