Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dark Souls

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 22, 2011

A quasi-sequel to From Software's action-RPG Demon's Souls, set in a new universe while retaining most of the basic gameplay and the high level of challenge. It features a less-linear world, a new checkpoint system in the form of bonfires, and the unique Humanity system.

Was what I did considered bad etiquette?

• 77 results
    BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

I had just gotten to the first bonfire in Blighttown, and I became human in order to kindle. Within a minute or two, I got invaded. I had a bunch of souls already that I didn't want to lose, roughly 80% what I needed to level, so I ran over to the bonfire I'd just rested at and jumped off the ledge to my death. That way I would spawn right next to my souls for retrieval.

Was that rude of me?

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Of course not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
    deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If this is your first playthrough of Dark Souls then don't worry about bad etiquette in pvp. Do whatever it takes to survive or to easily obtain your souls again after the fight.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah. Just remember Dark Souls hates you more than you hate Dark Souls.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fuck invaders.. so many of them seem to be able to teleport straight into backstabbing me. invaders made my quest to defeat ornstein and smough last 3 weeks.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Popogeejo

It's cool, though even if he'd killed you you'd still leave a blood stain just like any other death. If you wanted you could have just waited for him to show up and duke it out without risking losing your souls.

@killacam Yes, they are horrible for that. In the end I just turned off my wifi and offlined it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mosespippy

I'd call that bad etiquette. No need to kill yourself. Running back to a bonfire is fine but fight your battle. All you did was waste your time and his time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#8  Edited By Humanity

@bbalpert said:

I had just gotten to the first bonfire in Blighttown, and I became human in order to kindle. Within a minute or two, I got invaded. I had a bunch of souls already that I didn't want to lose, roughly 80% what I needed to level, so I ran over to the bonfire I'd just rested at and jumped off the ledge to my death. That way I would spawn right next to my souls for retrieval.

Was that rude of me?

It's online, there's no such thing as etiquette.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Not sure which bonfire you're at in Blighttown, but isn't that invasion by an AI with a giant cleaver?

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BBAlpert

@roninenix: No, this was a player invader (I'm pretty sure, at least). I was at the bonfire near the top of Blighttown, on kind of a bridge. Once I got down to the swamp at ground level, I went to that other bonfire in the tunnel and also got the AI invader with the cleaver.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All is fair in love and Dark Souls.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Sambambo

Is there a penalty for playing the game while offline? It sounds too annoying to even consider having others come in and fuck it up for me.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sinusoidal

Good for you. Fuck the lagstabbers, low level pyromancers and perfect builds that offed me EVERY FREAKING TIME I went human when playing the campaign the first time. It kind of sucks that veterans can invade you when you're learning the ropes since you don't stand a goddamn chance in hell against them.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: By invading someone who doesn't want to PVP they're wasting your time just as much. Sure, you're taking the risk by reverse hollowing but sometimes a dude just wants to kindle or summon some bros for joly co-op rather than spend 5 minutes circling some dude with two lightning greatswords. By killing himself nice and quick he cut short the invasion as fast as possible instead of drawing out a fight he'd most likely lose.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am invading you now!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@popogeejo: He can reverse hollow all he wants in Offline mode. If you're playing in online mode then getting invaded is par for the course. And he's not necessarily going to lose if he plays smart. The first time I got invaded I hung out by a ledge and ambushed the guy as he came around the corner, pushing him to his death. This is certainly an area where he could have done something similar. Also, every death in battle is a valuable learning experience, especially PvP deaths.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the OP, I learn from you. It's enough for how the game treats me, but that is established ground, and it turns and does have it's high moments. I do not need some purely self concerned wanker waltzing in to feed their pecker. Or rather, I will deny them even by dying. It comes rather easy really...

When Vinny was invaded, I liked the attitude of the person who did the invading, he was a poster in the comments. And I also liked the cooperation. But I do know it is fair there be 2 sides to that. So then I love you can deny by what the games hinges, by death.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

You can be invaded by NPCs when human in certain spots even if you are playing offline. I never really had any trouble with invaders in my playthrough on the PC version.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Dark Souls, you do what you have to do.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He invaded you in blight town? You did him a favor, that was going to be a bad experience for everyone.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#22  Edited By golguin

If you get invaded you should probably fight back instead of simply jumping off a cliff. You might learn something if you fight. You definitely wont learn anything by submitting to death.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ghost_cat

The game itself is one big asshole. It's like eating at a Chinese buffet with only your hands: anything goes.

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Dark Souls is the Wild West. There are no rules. No etiquette. It's best you get invasions over with as fast as possible so you can get back to what's really important. The player on player stuff is really terrible and only benefits those who know how to break the game or are insane. You made the right choice.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invaders are usually fun to fight. I just use that holy blast spell a bunch, then slash my sword like a motherfucker when they try to heal.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: maybe he's playing online to see blood stains, messages and player specters but not necessarily PVP. He can do whatever he wants - there isn't some online etiquette guide to this game you're free to do whatever. It's like those players that get angry if you don't bow before a battle and send you angry messages afterwards - give me a break.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: This isn't Barbie's Dreamhouse. The world of Dark Souls exists to kill you. If you are running from a fight then why are you even playing? If you want the benefit of learning from blood stains, messages and specters then you can face the consequence of occasionally fighting someone. You don't get anything for free in Dark Souls.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

that sounded awesome!!! Plus I think he gets your humanity.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do whatever you want, its a video game that you bought.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By cornbredx

The host can do whatever they want.

This idea of having bad etiquette in PvP in this game is still kind of weird to me. I mean, play how you want. If it's in the game it's allowed.

I kill myself often when I get invaded and don't want to deal with it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no such thing as etiquette in the modern gaming community (or any online community), nor any creativity; do whatever the fuck you want.

Khronikos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Khronikos

Maybe a little bit you are supposed to at least see what they got; people are usually fun to fight.

And yes there is etiquette in modern gaming. To think otherwise is just silly.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Anything goes in Dark Souls.

Popogeejo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mosespippy: You need to relax, mate. The world of Dark Souls is NOT there to kill you which is why people have done crazy things like, you know, complete it. If it wanted to kill it'd make every mook do a billion points of damage. DS is about testing you and training you to meet it's challenge. It's why when you walk onto Hellkite bridge you see burn marks to warn the careful player. It's why it makes your first Silver Knight fight a 1 on 1 in a large area. It's why the arrow traps in Sens are either visible or timed to that that you have time to react when you hear them fire. The PVP can be part of this but you have literally no obligation to take part.

PVP isn't even "a valuable learning experience" for the most part since none of the AI fights like human players. PVP teaches you how to PVP and nothing more.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Yes, you were rude.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Invading in Blighttown? Man, FUCK whoever that was, you did the right thing.

klaptos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long answer? Nope.

Short answer? No.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tourgen

No man you can and should do whatever you feel like. It's PVP. I'd suggest maybe putting your mind to it and finding interesting ways of making their PVP as painful as possible. Dark Souls gives you lots of fun options.

Anyone saying it's rude or bad etiquette is essentially trying to manipulate you into being a more passive and obedient piece of PVP meat. Crybaby losers who want easier targets.

hippocrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real lesson here is don't worry about those souls, bro. Losing a stack of humanity is a bummer, but getting souls back isn't so bad.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Slaegar

That wasn't rude, no, but you should have given it a try. Even without a pvp build you can do alright at pvp in Dark Souls. Plus since you were the one getting invaded you have the advantage of estus flasks. Unlike world pvp in MMOs they actually balance the levels so you aren't fighting someone 70 levels higher than you or something. So the combat is actually engaging. The reward can also be huge. Invaders can often times have more souls than bosses.

Last time I was invaded they came when I was getting through spooky skeletonland towards Pinwheel. I didn't see the guy and after a few minutes I got 21000 souls. He must have fallen off a ledge.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ravelle

After a while you get used to loosing souls that you won't even care anymore.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@slaegar said:

That wasn't rude, no, but you should have given it a try. Even without a pvp build you can do alright at pvp in Dark Souls. Plus since you were the one getting invaded you have the advantage of estus flasks. Unlike world pvp in MMOs they actually balance the levels so you aren't fighting someone 70 levels higher than you or something. So the combat is actually engaging. The reward can also be huge. Invaders can often times have more souls than bosses.

Last time I was invaded they came when I was getting through spooky skeletonland towards Pinwheel. I didn't see the guy and after a few minutes I got 21000 souls. He must have fallen off a ledge.

If you're going to be invading you may as well have 100 humanity, which when used heals you fully rendering estus flasks useless.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sure as hell wouldnt want to fight a player in blighttown. The swamps and those stupid rock throwing giants, good move.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Karkarov

@bbalpert said:

Was that rude of me?

Only according to the griefers which was probably what invaded you to begin with. De leveling to a low soul level with a +5 chaos iaito, a 10+ stack of humanity, and full havels then going on an invade spree is rude. Killing yourself to protect your soul count is not.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TheHT

Hell no! Fuck invaders. Buncha jerks.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Man, as long as you aren't cheating or glitching then really, no-one cares. You shoula at least took him for a jog and ran through as far as you could. Make em work fir it, lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
    deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why not just wait for him at the bonfire and try to fight? The excuse of not wanting to lose your souls is dumb, you'll lose them anyway by committing suicide.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.