Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkest Dungeon

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 19, 2016

A dungeon crawler that seeks to weigh the psychological effects of delving into hellish monster abodes, not just the damage to HP. Team chemistry means more than just skill synergy.

Controller Vs. M+K?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I've been wanting to play this game ever since it got so much praise on guest GOTY lists. It seems like the most ideal way to play is with a mouse and keyboard, but I'm not much of a computer gamer.

I have a macbook pro that will run the game just fine, but I would much rather enjoy it on my 40in tv instead of my 13in computer screen.

I've heard mixed things about gamepad controls and I was wondering what GB thought of them. It is also currently steam currently has it on sale for $12, so that does sway me a bit towards my macbook.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Belegorm

The game controls very simply, when I play I do it entirely with just the mouse IIRC (haven't fired it up in some months now), aside from some hotkeys. It's a really simple control setup that would work well for tablets. Considering how simple the controls are for mouse I wouldn't imagine it would be that crazy on a controller.

Then again you could split the difference. Plug your laptop into your TV via hdmi and use a wireless mouse on a book on your lap the way Dan does, that should work fine.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By WynnDuffy

If you have a long HDMI (or DisplayPort?) cable and a USB/wireless mouse you could just put a mouse pad or a magazine on your couch and play like that.

It's clunky with a controller. I would do the above if you can but it's not unplayable or anything if you use a pad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@belegorm: @wynnduffy:My tv is in my bedroom. So I'm either on a chair right in front of it or farther away sit/laying on my bed. So I don't think mouse and keyboard would really work too well with my tv set up. Appreciate the help though.

Blannir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The controller layout isn't very intuitive and will take some time to sink it but it's fine when you get used to it. It's not fast paced at all so I never felt hindered while I fumbled with the controls and UI my first few hours.

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mouse and keyboard is definitely easier and quicker, but a controller is completely usable. It feels kind of clunky and awkward at first, but after a couple hours it gets pretty easy to use. It's still slower to navigate than with a mouse, but it's a turn based game so that's not the end of the world or anything.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how you could have heard mixed things about the controller configuration for this game. It's bad, and there's really no other side to that story. It's not even something you will get used to after some time because the controls are actually that unintuitive. The game is turn-based so at least it's only frustrating instead of game-breaking.

With that said, the controls are not the reason I put Darkest Dungeon down. Rather, it was the achingly slow grind of progress that made me give up.

It is a good game, but you should be aware of these two issues before diving into this experience.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the user interface is nearly identical between the PC and console versions, I'd assume the game controls better using mouse and keyboard. I have the game on PS4 and while I agree that the control scheme for the controller isn't immediately intuitive, it does streamline most routine activities. The only thing that is mildly annoying even after you get used to the controls is Trinket management.

As for the grinding aspect of the game, the developers have been working on a new mode that changes some of the gameplay rules with the intention of reducing the time it takes to complete the game. I personally love the combat, so this was a non-issue for me.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing on steam? Try the controller configs as you can now use am xbox or ps4 controller like a steam controller. I only played a couple hours and honestly just setting the track pad as a mouse was damn near enough to play the gsme comfortably. Then set whatever hot keys and you should be good. If i remember the game had very little complexity in the controls.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.