Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkest Dungeon

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Jan 19, 2016

A dungeon crawler that seeks to weigh the psychological effects of delving into hellish monster abodes, not just the damage to HP. Team chemistry means more than just skill synergy.

Kickstarter Backers Receiving Codes + Impressions

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Kickstarter backers have started receiving their codes for the "early access" version of this game. Even in its current state the game is great. I really enjoy the dynamic of party placement and mental afflictions. The game, in its current state, is fairly unforgiving. That's not a complaint, but a matter of fact. I am hoping for a way to get concrete information on everything that afflictions such as "paranoia" or "masochism" effect.

The easiest thing to compare the game to, with the "death system" is XCOM. While I don't see myself getting attached to characters like I did in that game (RIP Carl "Black Cops" Winslow), I have already found myself slipping into that state of mind. The bounty hunter class is my favorite so far, and of course he's died at the end of each dungeon. I have a feeling that if you are playing the game "Correctly" you will be using tons of characters opposed to select few as the characters' stress and effects can negatively effect subsequent dungeon crawls. Even an hour into the game I already gained a disdain for specific enemy types because of their abilities to do things such as knockback, bleed, and more.

I'm also impressed with Red Hooks twitter and forum presence as they are quick to reply to any questions I have or bugs that I discovered. The biggest bug is an OBS/streaming issue that doesn't allow the resolution to scale correctly. Either way, I'm confident they'll squash all of those and deliver a solid product. I've enjoyed this so much that even though I backed the PC Kickstarter I will still pay for the PS4 version when it is released.

No information on if they will sell the early access version of if it will stay backer only.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've watched like 10 hours of this on various Twitch streams. I'm already addicted to it and I haven't even played it yet. I really wish I had backed it so I could be playing it right now.

Entreri10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I've been waiting for this game for a while now, Ill definitely be grabbing it as soon as its up for non backers.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game's come out of nowhere to become a very highly anticipated game for me. I'm looking forward to its release.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think that this game looks pretty cool and I'm going to try and get it when it comes out.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I've streamed/played about 5 hours worth. I haven't had this exploratory rush since the first Dark Souls game. If this is released this year I know its going to be on my top 10 list. With it being as fully fleshed out as it is in early access I can't imagine it would take but a few months for it to come out in full release.

Looks like it will going on sale for early access buyers this Tuesday, 2/3.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Really enjoying what I've played so far.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 8 hours and it's really, truly something great. A few things are maybe weird, they need to rethink hunger, the inventory numbers disappearing can be annoying, and the class balance is a little bit off (every party should have an occultist and a bounty hunter, vestals are much worse than occultists). I think I might stop playing now, and start again when the game is in a more complete state, if only to get a better first experience with it. Also, the new classes are very much needed, since having a roster full of copies of the same 8 or so guys is kinda awkward.

Question for everyone, have you been able to hire any more highwaymen? I haven't seen one since the guy I started with died.

Avatar image for muttersometaxicab
    MuttersomeTaxicab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@brackstone: I've got enough highwaymen to sink a ship right now. I wonder if they'll need to either make the classes all equally survivable or tweak the algorithm for the random pool of hireable heroes.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If Bram Stoker had made XCOM it might have come out something like this. Moot point as he was apparently more of a Katamari Damacy fan...

Seriously though, if I play a better game this year I'll be very pleasantly surprised. Loving it.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NeoCalypso

I have no clue how you guys are loving this game as much as you are. The first time I had a party wipe literally from 100% health(and very low stress) in a single fight with one of those Brigand Bloodletters and his two buddies, I uninstalled. Luck has way too much of a determining factor on combat, which would almost be okay if it wasn't for the fact that almost all the enemies are as strong as you are and every other aspect outside of combat is stacked against you.

Add that in with the fact that a shit ton of the games mechanics are completely unexplained and it adds up to a game that isn't very fun to play.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Seikenfreak

On the fence about this one. Art style and stuff looked fantastic. Don't feel like I know enough about the gameplay from the UPF segment though.

And $20 feels a tiny bit on the steep side for something I'm not sure about or maybe doesn't have much content. So I either buy it now, or tell myself I'll buy it later. A long ways down the road, it'll go on sale for $5 and I'll pick it up and then not really feel motivated to play it because its old news now and everyone has moved on from it.

Also I'd prefer to have a game that looks and plays like this on my PS4 but it sounds like it's not coming to consoles.

Bah decisions.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been watching it on twitch, this game looks amazing.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Didn't realise this was available yet, pre-ordered it via their Humble widget months ago. Downloading right now!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So I think what's great about this game is that it does the gothic aesthetic pretty damn well. Which is nice compared to say, Diablo 3 which I feel like forgot it was trying to be particularly gothic and is kinda just WoW with a more drab colour palette.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like this game. It's very hard and oftentimes unfair, but I find that really compelling. Because life isn't fair. They even say in the first loading screen that it's supposed to be this hard.

That said, I do really hope they tweak what kind of heroes you are able to hire each week. I was drowning in Highwaymen and Crusaders when I didn't really need them. Also, I find some classes to be more useful than others; Highwaymen are pretty good, Crusaders are okay, and Occultists are the best healers in the game, bar none. And yet, The Jester, my favorite looking class, is kind of garbage.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zalrus9: Lepers seem like complete garbage, in that they only have skills for the right two spots, and if they get pushed out of position they have no skills that move themselves forward (unless I missed one), so you just have to waste a turn repositioning them constantly. I'd take any other front row fighter over a Leper; Hellions, Crusaders, Bounty Hunters, whatever. Lepers seem terrible.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

watching some of this on twitch, this is so my thing, I'll be waiting for the ps4 release, hope it doesn't take too long.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Yeah, you're probably right. however, I will say that Lepers do have a high amount of hp, and even if their accuracy is shit, when they do hit, they hit very hard. They also have a rather high self-heal, so if you are against spiders or anything with a high evade, you can always do that. I think I have one on standby, because they are somewhat hard to kill, ironically.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BisonHero

@zalrus9: Yeah, Lepers are tanky, but that seems to be their main advantage. Maybe you could put some kind of trinket on them to increase their accuracy to be better? I still think I prefer the other frontline classes. And yeah, I feel like the appearance and abilities of the Lepers are a reference to Crusades-era Europe or something that I don't fully understand. Did people use lepers as soldiers? I thought lepers were all isolated away in some building with each other.

I'm still not very far in the game, because I restarted when I realized I had wildly misspent my building resources because I spent a bunch of them before unlocking all the buildings. Has anyone upgraded the Guild building? Do the Vestal's healing spells get a lot better at rank 2 or 3? The rank 1 version of both Vestal healing spells is kind of weak. The heal all could be powerful if it healed more than 1-2 HP, so I'm curious how well it scales (I guess I'll look at a wiki eventually).

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vinny and I will be recording an Unfinished for this soon, but yeah, this game is awesome. It's consumed a great number of my hours over the last week or so.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seikenfreak

Indeed. Decided to go ahead to get it last night.

Did a couple of dungeon runs and seems pretty cool so far. At the same time I'm preemptively nervous about losing people since I'm seeing mentions of this being brutal. So far I've been relatively safe. Still not even remotely sure how to determine which person likes what form of stress relief.

I'm liking Crusader, just because I like knights and paladin types. Any way to get a shield on him? The character art makes it look like he should have a shield.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brackstone

@bisonhero: Lepers I've found to be good tanks, since they're pretty self sufficient in terms of camping skills and personal healing. If you activate the buff that gives +15 accuracy, they're pretty good, but the extra rounds of attacks you get from a crusader are still better.

The upgrades are all super inconsistent, both in the guild and the blacksmith. I'm not at home right now, so I can't double check, but I think Vestal healing upgrades affect the minimum healing (group healing goes from 1-2 to 2-2), but the Wyrd Reconstruction upgrade affects maximum (0-10 becomes 0-12 I think). Going back to the Leper, his sword upgrade sucks, since it brings it from like, 8-16 to 10-12 or something, without raising his accuracy. It does increase his speed, but it's not worth the loss in damage. Most other upgrades for skills seem to just raise accuracy by 5 points or crit chance by a point, which I guess isn't bad for the leper, but it's still underwhelming.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neocalypso: The game just suffers really badly from "random numbers syndrom". Not talking about RNG, but developers just throwing random numbers into an RPG and hoping it sticks. In it's current state it's just all about finding the things that's overpowered and stay away from the stuff that sucks. I've definitely had fights turn really sour on me too, but once I started figuring out what works it got managable. It's also very much like X-Com, where the start is really volatile but once you get some upgrades the RNG won't have as much impact.

@bisonhero: The vestal healing level 2 upgrades to 2-2 for group heal and 4-6 for single target. I've personally found the vestals to be vastly superior, although it might've just been bugged as my Occultist seems to fail to heal at all 50% of the time. All my good, long runs have been carried by a vestal keeping everyone topped up and a highwayman with point blank shot. The vestal healing might not seem super strong, but the consistency really makes up for it. It's sorta like having something around 40-50% damage reduction on everyone, and combined with some stuns you end up minimizing the other half.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I backed this game way before the second trailer even got shown. Considering how much I loved the original Diablo, I was hyped for this game from the atmosphere and idea alone. I gotta say, the game is not a disappointment so far.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BisonHero

@ares42: Yeah, it's definitely in an "everything but the kitchen sink" sort of mode where the abilities are all over the place and probably aren't even close to balanced against each other properly yet. Plus the trinkets are just barely a system you have to interact with, because half of them are a complete wash ("+10 accuracy but -3 crit chance!" lame), or they're all positive but it's some super minor effect. Lots of stuff like that.

Also I really don't like how certain zones generally only yield certain family heirloom types, so I have 8 million busts and family shields from the first zone, but those fucking paintings and scrolls are impossible to find until you unlock stuff past the first zone.

What do people think of the Gravedigger? I just don't know what I'm supposed to do with that class. Also, is the game being intentionally obtuse about who I should use to try to disarm traps, or is trap disarming just not tied to any stat and completely luck of the draw so just use whoever has the highest health? Also I feel like the game could be more clear about what actually happens when your characters level up. Are they just gaining random traits?

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I've had a lot of luck with BHs for disarming traps, but it could just be coincidental ofc. As for levelling up, I think all it does is unlock blacksmith and guild upgrades. Not really sure what to make of Gravediggers either, they just seem like a good "filler" class, being able to do good damage from pretty much any position. I've read some stuff suggesting they are really good for interactables though.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Seikenfreak

K now I'm starting to have a hard time lol

I seem to be just losing money faster than I can get it. Mostly from stress recovery stuff I think. Seems like just about everyone needs it after a run and its like 1000+ per person.

Just starting to feel a little hopeless now. That light at the end of the tunnel is quickly dimming. You get a million stress across most of the party from an enemy crit. You get a bunch of stress from the Skeleton's dumping their wine blood on you.

And what's up with the Traits thing when characters level up? Is it optional? Because Ive "opened" the mask thing and mostly got bad stuff every time. So now I kinda just don't. I imagine you'd want to try and stack positive traits while using the Infirmary to remove the negatives.. except that also costs a lot of money.

Haven't been able to unlock the Nomad Wagon, Survivalist thing on the hill, or the tree/pillar thing by the wagon yet. No idea what they do.

Edit: Also, I don't seem to have access to any lvl 0 short dungeons anymore. How am I supposed to do lvl 1 mediums with a fresh set of people?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BisonHero

@seikenfreak said:

K now I'm starting to have a hard time lol

I seem to be just losing money faster than I can get it. Mostly from stress recovery stuff I think. Seems like just about everyone needs it after a run and its like 1000+ per person.

Just starting to feel a little hopeless now. That light at the end of the tunnel is quickly dimming. You get a million stress across most of the party from an enemy crit. You get a bunch of stress from the Skeleton's dumping their wine blood on you.

I think I'm farther than you, but yeah, I'm hitting this wall as well of constantly having no money even when I finish missions quite successfully. Overall, the game basically has one resource (gold), and then your guys basically have two different health bars. It seems like level ups just get you more stress resist, which is appreciated, but it means actually improving the abilities and attack/defense stats of a character ends up being pretty expensive instead of just happening automatically when they level. And yeah, whenever I do a dungeon, I find my net profit isn't that much between assigning everyone to stress relief and the initial money it took to buy supplies. I probably shouldn't be using the Sanitarium to fix bad traits as often as I am. Also, the game's tutorial basically fucks you over by saying you only need like 8 food and 4 torches on a short mission. That's not enough torches. You need 7 or 8. If you always keep your light levels at 75-100, your characters barely gain any stress as they walk, and trust me, buying a couple extra torches at 75 gold a pop is much cheap than having higher and higher stress levels to deal with and needing to pay for stress relief. If you keep your torch at 75-100 basically all the time, on some short missions one or two people might be lucky enough to only gain like 10-20 stress.

Also, yeah, those skeletons courtiers with their dumb little Scottish hats (tams?) that slosh their blood wine at you and give you a bunch of stress FUCKING SUCK. I started taking count of that attack at a certain point, and I don't think I've EVER seen that attack miss over like 10 or 12 attacks. I think characters should be able to resist the stress damage in combat like they can resist status effects. Right now, a group with 2 of those skeletons in it is guaranteed to fuck up your stress situation unless you get a bunch of lucky stuns.

@seikenfreak said:

Haven't been able to unlock the Nomad Wagon, Survivalist thing on the hill, or the tree/pillar thing by the wagon yet. No idea what they do.

Edit: Also, I don't seem to have access to any lvl 0 short dungeons anymore. How am I supposed to do lvl 1 mediums with a fresh set of people?

Don't you unlock the Nomad Wagon and Survivalist around the third or fourth "week" (meaning you've gone and done 3 or 4 dungeons)?. You're probably really close. The tree by the wagon doesn't seem to do anything yet. Also, you're not missing much, the Survivalist allows you to unlock your party's other "camping skills", except it's exorbitantly expensive for some reason, even though camping is honestly a really small portion of the game. That shit needs to be rebalanced. The Nomad Wagon sells you trinkets, but honestly most trinkets aren't worth it, especially given that they all cost like 5,000-10,000 which is a huge sum of money. You're better off spending money on stress relief, the sanitarium, or upgrading your character's skills/equipment.

I think the "lvl 0" dungeons are maybe just tutorial dungeons, because yeah, they generally drop those in favour of lvl 1 dungeons pretty quickly. Honestly, lvl 1 dungeons are still pretty doable. Sometimes the random assortment you get doesn't include a short one, but the medium ones just mean that they're a little longer and you get to camp in the middle of them. The actual difficulty of the fights and whatever isn't that high. It's not that big of a deal, you can do a medium length dungeon with a fresh set of people, just make sure you pick 4 people who have almost zero stress.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: The trick early on is just to rotate people instead of "fixing" them. Keep the people that don't get completely screwed and kick anyone that starts accumulating too many bad traits or too much stress. Eventually you'll end up with a group of functional characters you can farm and "progress" with. Helps a lot to figure out some of the better combos too, which will allow you to deal with combat much better (leaving you with way less stress). There are also a few combinations atm that basically allow you to break the game (during the early parts) and come out of every fight with max health and no stress. You can even go the really cheesy route and enter a longer dungeon, camp right away heal your stress, then leave.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Yeah, I'll be curious to see if the devs do anything to address the handful of ways you can really cheese the game. It's oddly generous of the game to just give you free characters each week, so yeah, naturally that's really abusable because it's easier to dismiss stressed out and afflicted people than it is to cure them. Part of it is also that rank 0,1, and 2 characters are functionally all pretty much the same, as ranks barely give you anything, and the real way that characters get better stats and abilities is by your pouring thousands and thousands of gold into them.

The "feast camp then immediately quit" thing is REALLY cheesy, but honestly even the aforementioned strat where you just dismiss stressed out and afflicted people and hire new people is pretty cheesy and I expect the devs to do something about it. I still think the economy is wildly unbalanced at the moment. There are so many upkeep money sinks that it's hard enough sparing the cash to buy ability or equipment upgrades, so the idea that I would ever buy preposterously expensive trinkets from the nomad wagon or campfire skills from the survivalist is laughable.

Also, man, the trinkets are godawful. They're just not worth using most of the time, because their net effect is generally zero, so who fucking cares. You could theoretically min/max one particular stat with them, but obtaining trinkets is so random it can be hard to get two trinkets that both buff the same stat.

Overall I really like the game, but it has a long way to go as far as balance, and also I can't fathom why you get the ability to unlock multiple slots in stress relief buildings when worst case scenario I have exactly 4 dudes that need stress relief and it's fairly rare that two of them will have the exact same restriction.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Seikenfreak

Ah thanks for the responses!

I've played it for a chunk more time. I got the Wagon and Survivalist place unlocked.

So I do kind of have my "A-Team", I think they are all from my original set of characters I started with. Or at least three of them are. I did lose 3/4 of a group on one run though. Soooo frustrating. Three of them went crazy from stress and were being complete whiny b****es and making their life a million times harder. One of them became heroic so that was awesome. I pushed them to the very limit though, survived a bunch of Deathblow scenarios and lasted much longer at max stress than I expected. Made it to the final room of the dungeon and it was just a massacre. Like movie slow-mo with sad piano music as each person is being butchered and there is nothing you can do. I was yelling at my screen because they were just WHIFFING like nobodies business. The Occultist was bad mouthing every little thing someone did, my Vestal was pleading for mercy, my Hellion refused to believe what was happening and assumed the Gods had forsaken us, but my Plague Doctor stood strong to the very end, shouting words of encouragement. The monsters were mostly dead but it was just miss after miss and then passes etc of grape shot and run through. Omg I was so pissed. In the end, after three had fallen and the Hellion stood alone against four enemies, I retreated and escaped the dungeon. Perhaps she'd rather not have been saved.

So yea, I still have a core set of people who are coming up level 3 or whatever. Killed the Necromancer boss like.. a boss.

Notes: I haven't really been using the Sanitarium. It costs a chunk of money to remove one of like..10 negative traits I'd have. And why can't I upgrade my armor/weapons? It says I need to unlock weaponsmithing lvl 1.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: The blacksmith building (weapons/armour) literally does nothing until you upgrade it. There should be an upgrade for like "lvl 1 weapons" or "lvl 1 armour". Once you have one of those upgrades, you'll be able to upgrade the corresponding equipment by 1 rank for some gold. It's kinda stupid that they give you the blacksmith so early in the game when most players are probably still just running through the Ruins over and over and probably only have statues and shields available to spend on upgrades. They should probably change the blacksmith so that it already has lvl 1 weapons and armour unlocked, because it's just dumb that out of the gate that building literally does nothing.

Also, yeah, the Sanitarium probably isn't worth using until you've bought literally every upgrade that makes it cheaper to use. But yeah, the whole early game is kinda weird like that, in that healing your characters stress/affliction is really expensive but there's no incentive to heal them when a fresh bunch come in on the wagon every week.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Seikenfreak

@bisonhero: Weird. That's what I figured was going on but didn't have enough "Deeds" at the time to try it. Just had a successful run to get some and yeap it unlocked. The hover over text doesn't make sense. When you check the locked box next to weapon or armor it says "Prerequisites: Weaponsmithing Level 1" but when you hover over the upgrade it says "Allows upgrades to Rank 2". Wouldn't that imply I'm already on Rank 1? Super dumb they give it to you and you can't even use it without upgrading the shop.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seikenfreak: Yeah, the game is kind of inconsistent on whether everything starts at "rank 1" or "rank 0". It needs to figure that out. I guess what they meant is that "building upgrade #1" is the ability to buy rank 2 equipment. Which is mildly confusing.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: I've found the trinkets to get more useful as you get later into the game (as with everything else). Even the common ones are always designed to come out ahead, so if you find two that compliment each other you'll get a small bonus, and the more rare ones start to give some decent bonuses.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought it the day it came out and while I've only played it for about an hour I've enjoyed my time with it and see a lot of areas where they can expand on the concepts in particular the class system (maybe have more than one skin per class, eh?) and more complexs upgrade ladders for the buildings and characters. Also really hope this will be out on Vita3 when the finished version is out, which means I probably won't be playing the Early Acces built too much.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BisonHero

@civid: I would bet a sizeable amount of money that the devs have no intention of doing multiple skins for the classes. It's a bunch of extra work for the artist that is ultimately pretty unnecessary.

Also, an upgrade ladder is, by definition, linear, so I don't know if it's very likely that they're going to spice those up very much. I think it's an interesting move that the character abilities are all flat, so unlike XCOM there aren't "later" abilities that are more powerful. You have all the tools available from the start (well, potentially available, obviously each character starts with a random set of 4), so it's just your choice which you equip and which one you upgrade heavily.

The building upgrades are admittedly pretty boring, in that they're just resource dumps and most of them just make gold prices lower. Still, I don't see how they could spice that system up without completely changing what some of the buildings do. Like, I guess you could add an upgrade to the Sanitarium so that there's a chance of not only removing a negative trait, but adding a positive trait? Maybe they could do a couple things like that. The only obvious change I'd make is that the blacksmith should do something when you initially unlock it. Right now you have to pay for the armour or weapon upgrade before it does anything at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.