Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders II

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Aug 14, 2012

Players return to the post-Apocalypse in the sequel to 2010's Darksiders, this time as former protagonist War's fellow Horseman of the Apocalypse, Death, the pale rider, who seeks to resurrect Humanity to clear his brother's good name.

Finish the first game or jump right into the sequel?

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Shookems

So I've had the first Darksiders on steam for a while, but haven't gotten around to playing it. Should I play through it first before getting into Darksiders II? Would I be missing out on important story beats? Is the first game as lengthy as the second?

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Jrinswand

I've tried to play the first game twice and still haven't been able to beat it. I'll probably give it another chance once I put together my new computer tomorrow, but if I still can't get into it then I may just skip the second one altogether. You'd think that I would absolutely love the series. It has artwork by Joe Madureira (one of my favorite comic book artists from the time that I was a kid - I still have a signed issue from The Age of Apocalypse stashed somewhere around here), demons, and a pretty sizable nod to the Zelda franchise but something about it just didn't click.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Fearbeard

Just jump in. It takes place during a gap in the first game, so just get the beginning plot of the first game and you'll have no trouble following the story

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I beat the first one twice. Once back around the time it came out, and a second time recently. So I'd have it fresh in my mind, both for story, and to compare it to the second one.

Thus far, I think the second one is a lot better, but the first is no slouch.

So far as recommendations for you, the first one is about 15 hours long (and that was with me finding 100% of the items in the game), so no, not as lengthy as the second. And yeah, you should play the first. It's a great game. Mark Hamill is in it.

mattchops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mattchops

@MooseyMcMan said:

I beat the first one twice. Once back around the time it came out, and a second time recently. So I'd have it fresh in my mind, both for story, and to compare it to the second one.

So far as recommendations for you, the first one is about 15 hours long (and that was with me finding 100% of the items in the game), so no, not as lengthy as the second. And yeah, you should play the first. It's a great game. Mark Hamill is in it.

Definitely start with the first game. While the second one does a good job of prefacing the first's story throughout the game, it may mean more to you if you've already experienced the first.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

@MooseyMcMan said:

Mark Hamill is in it.

Ohhhhhhh sshhhhhiiiiiiizzzzz! That just clicked for me. I finished playing DS1 last weekend and the Watcher's voice was driving me mad because I couldn't place it!

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By kerse

@mattchops said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Definitely start with the first game. While the second one does a good job of prefacing the first's story throughout the game, it may mean more to you if you've already experienced the first.

Pretty much this, but if you just wanna get through for the story play it on easy, because you can't change the difficulty after you start.

Shookems

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Shookems

Between the responses here and the discussion on this week's bombcast, I'm definitely going to play through the first game. Thanks dudes.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @MooseyMcMan

That last sentence... Sold!
    J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By J12088

Play the first. It's awesome and the ending will make you want to jump into the second right away.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

First is great, holds up and is a good experience.

Totally worth it.

ze_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ze_ro

Do it.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By alternate

Buy the first one. It is available very cheap.

If you don't like it then chances are you will not like the second. Potentially saving you money.

If you do like the first one then by the time you have beat it and are ready for more the price of D2 will have dropped. Saving you money.

aldo_q

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By aldo_q

I don't really think it's a matter of if you need to play it to understand II. As I understood from the podcast that isn't the case, but will make the experience richer. It's more that you should just play I period as it's a stunning stunning game! So if you are going to play it anyway (because it's wonderfull and you should) I'd play it first. But totally a personal opinion :)

Anathem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Anathem

I picked up Darksiders 2 on Steam at launch, but decided not to start it until I'd finished my second DS1 playthrought/S-rank run. It reminded me just how much I love the first game. It's just a complete blast to play. Don't play the first because you should. Play it because you can.

I've now started the second and love it already.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.