Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darksiders

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 05, 2010

Developed by Vigil Games, Darksiders puts players in control of War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, as he attempts to find out who caused a premature Apocalypse while battling both Angels and Demons on a dead Earth.

PC Version

wordfalling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By wordfalling

All this game of the year talk has had this game mentioned several times already so it got me curious. We're in that post holiday dry spell, especially so on PC games so I've been considering picking it up. I need a break from trying to S-Rank Fallout: New Vegas and my main questions are: 

• Is it a good time sink? I like time sinks.
    • Is it a good port? I don't like bad ports (I'm looking at you GTA IV).
    • I've checked the recommended specs and meet or surpass them all with my '09 MacBook Pro but that was also the case with GTA IV. 
    • I don't have a gamepad and don't even know if it supports them but assume so, though does it control well enough with just mouse & keyboard?

And yes I realize mobile graphics cards are not as good as their regular versions but my laptop still made many PC games released this year look nice and run smoothly.

Answers to any or all of my queries would be much appreciated.
    endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By endless_void

man i didnt even know there was a pc port of this game O_o

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrKlorox
    @endless_void:  It just came out not too long ago.

@wordfalling: I'm also curious about the answers to most of your questions. But as someone who plays a lot of console ports on PC, I can tell you that you should buy a wired 360 controller ASAP. Not just for this game, but for most new ones. The focus on consoles these days mean less thought tends to be put into PC controls and interfaces. Save yourself a headache and get a controller.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august

Some things are objectively better with a mouse, but third person action games ain't one of them.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ryanwho

Play with a controller. Just. Dude. By an old Xbox for 10 dollars, throw out the box, and use the controller.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By KaosAngel

Dude, just watch a run of this game on YouTube, you won't play it more than once.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By endless_void

So is this port any optimized?

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By endless_void
    @wordfalling: Hmm alrighty
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@KaosAngel said:
    " Dude, just watch a run of this game on YouTube, you won't play it more than once. "
    What an awful way to look at things.
    Xabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Xabu

Game runs fantastic on my system.  I'm playing it with a 360 controller, and despite people's complaints about a lack of visual tweaking options I think it looks incredible, and rarely drops below 60 frames per second.  I'm having a great time with the PC port so far, not having played the console version.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Marz

This game is good  on the PC, runs great on my system.  q6600 3ghz gtx 480

I did have a problem with crashing, but i fixed that by just running the darksiders executable file from the folder it was installed in.  It was unstable with steam on my system for some reason.

nukkajdav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nukkajdav

Just bought it on Steam the other day for ten bucks....great deal! The port is pretty fantastic. It runs great on my PC, though my system is pretty beefy and, despite all controller warnings, it plays pretty great on keyboard and mouse! I just had to remap block/dash to a more comfortable position, but after that it felt great. I've been playing for about six hours and have only just found the second dungeon, so this game is definitely a time sink. The combat is great and the puzzles escalate in a nice progression. I'm enjoying the story, characters (pretty great voice acting), and overall art as cartoony as it can be. Pretty bummed I didn't try this out earlier! Can't wait for the sequel.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Meowshi
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Dude, just watch a run of this game on YouTube, you won't play it more than once. "
    What kind of suggestion is this?  Seriously?!?
    bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bybeach

I've heard otherwise, but my wireless xbox pc controller seems flawless. No lag/latency at all. And eliminating a wire from a controller does me just fine. 

And I agree about 3d person, and even first, both batman and fallout 3 can attest to that.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ryanwho
    @bybeach said:
    " I've heard otherwise, but my wireless xbox pc controller seems flawless. No lag/latency at all. And eliminating a wire from a controller does me just fine.  And I agree about 3d person, and even first, both batman and fallout 3 can attest to that. "
    Only because the clunky ass Fallout HUD is built around controllers. If they built it with mice in mind like DAO had, mice would be the way to go. And if accuracy meant a damn thing.
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JP_Russell

I'm playing it with M&K and it works just fine.  I thought it might be problematic trying to aim melee strikes with M&K in a character action game, but there's a healthy amount of subtle lock-on to your attacks in Darksiders, so the slightly less directional nuance of not having analogue control isn't an issue, and you have the upside of more fluid and tactile camera control with a mouse. 

There are some annoyances to the controls in the in-game menus, and some functions would make more sense if they were consolidated with other functions onto one key (Separate keys for swim up/down?  Why not just have jump = swim up, jump down = swim down?), but overall I haven't encountered any intolerable control problems and none of them hinder my ability to play the game competently (or as competently as someone who isn't very good at character action games can).

And yes, this game is a time sink to be sure.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @august said:
    " Some things are objectively better with a mouse, but third person action games ain't one of them. "
    I thought so, too, until I played Lost Planet 2 on the PC both with the controller and then mouse/keyboard.  It's still much more fun with mouse and keyboard.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @august said:
    " Some things are objectively better with a mouse, but third person action games ain't one of them. "
    I thought so, too, until I played Lost Planet 2 on the PC both with the controller and then mouse/keyboard.  It's still much more fun with mouse and keyboard. "
    Lost Planet is a third person shooter though. Different kettle of fish really.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Khann said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer said:
    " @august said:
    I thought so, too, until I played Lost Planet 2 on the PC both with the controller and then mouse/keyboard.  It's still much more fun with mouse and keyboard. "
    Lost Planet is a third person shooter though. Different kettle of fish really. "
    I spend dozens of hours playing Demon's Souls and Mount and Blade: Warband -- both control schemes allowed for slightly different gameplay but both worked fine for me.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MrKlorox
    @ryanwho said:
    " @bybeach said:
    " I've heard otherwise, but my wireless xbox pc controller seems flawless. No lag/latency at all. And eliminating a wire from a controller does me just fine.  And I agree about 3d person, and even first, both batman and fallout 3 can attest to that. "
    Only because the clunky ass Fallout HUD is built around controllers. If they built it with mice in mind like DAO had, mice would be the way to go. And if accuracy meant a damn thing. "
    Didn't you shit all over me for wanting some kind of controller axis support in the PC version of Mass Effect 2 because of things like mouse lag?
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By rjaylee
    @wordfalling said:
    "@KaosAngel: Not a time sink then? Oh well, New Vegas and Civ V will always be there. "
    Seriously? Don't listen to that kind of assninery. That's maybe one of the stupidest comments you could ever listen to. He might as well tell you to go pirate the game instead, but in some ways I'd think that would even be a better recommendation because at least you experienced the playing the game rather than watching it on YouTube like a dope. I'm not saying you should pirate the game either, because Darksiders deserves your well-earned money just as equally as any other great game this year.

Darksiders is a hugely enjoyable timesink regardless of platform. I bought it for PC over Steam for $10 from a recent Steam sale, and am playing it with a Logitech gamepad. I'm a little more than halfway through a complete playthrough and I've already put in a solid 15 hours. It's pretty simple. You like Zelda? You like Batman Arkham Asylum? You like other ability-based game progression? You'll like this game a good deal.
    Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hunkulese
    @wordfalling: If you consider yourself a PC gamer why are you using a mac?
    Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By Ramyun
    @wordfalling: It's a pretty good time sink. Lets say a good 30 hour or so game....for me anyway.
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By butano

Finally was able to download it yesterday. Got 8 hours in it already. Runs great on my 9800gtx+

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I got like an hour in and it seems great. Very Zelda-like, so I cant imagine it being anything other than a time sink.
    Personally the idea of playing it with a mouse and keyboard makes me want to vomit, but if that's what you're used to than I'm sure it will work fine for you. Have you played similar games with m and k?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.