Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkspore

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Apr 28, 2011

Darkspore was a Diablo-style action RPG based in the Spore universe, featuring online co-op and deep customization features. It was shut down on March 1st, 2016.

Darkspore Servers to Close for good

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bunny_Fire

Darkspore servers will be closing on March 1st, 2016. According to the the Darkspore forums front page.

1st December 2015: Today, we are announcing that we will be closing the doors on Darkspore, effective March 1st, 2016.

Just figured someone should stick it on the news page for this game

Souce http://forums.darkspore.com/

Learned this from Ross's Game Dungeon: Darkspore

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, I was just listening to an old bombcast where they talked about this game. I bought it when it came out and played for a couple hours. Glad it lasted as long as it did.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#3 fisk0  Moderator

I bought it really cheaply shortly after release but never got around to installing it. Sad to hear I'll probably not have the time to get around to it before it closes down. It's really weird that they made it online only, as there didn't really seem to be anything about the gameplay that required that.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@fisk0: Whoa seriously, online only? I bought that game on the cheap as well and always wanted to delve into it but you know, Diablo III came out making all Diablo like clones before it obsolete.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game was a ton of fun. I probably played it 150 hours or so. The first time I heard about servers going down I stopped playing. That was a long time ago. I think it was too complicated for most people to grind through. The near absolute dependency of other people really didn't help.

Bunny_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes personally I liked the concept but not enough for it to interest me as a game. But why have that damn online only DRM stuff like Ross says this is why games like this die and die for good because you can't play them offline.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I bought this game a long time ago, and liked it, even though I didn't put a ton of time into it. Sad news when this stuff happens nonetheless.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

oh yeah! This game. Where the dude on the cover kinda looks like a demon Fallout 2 dude.

I mean, it's been ~ 5 years since release? I suppose this is to be expected. Pretty damn short turn around time though, based on the announcement date. Not much notice for those who care. Is that usual for server shut downs? I dunno personally.

@jeff was there ever concrete talk about how to deal with server-connected games in the database? I'd be nice for the future to have Dates for 1st Public and Last Public playable days or something. I know this is a can of worms, but, there's no good way of tracking a game's lifespan right now. (Other than, you know, text. Euugh!) :D

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

On one hand it's a bummer that nobody will ever be able to play this game again after March, but on the other hand...this game was about as mediocre as it got so it's unlikely a ton of people are genuinely going to miss it.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I am another person that bought this game for really cheap and never got around to playing it. I installed it today after hearing the news of it being shutdown and played an hour of it today. I'll probably put a few more hours into it, but I really can't even hope to finish the campaign before March 1st, and as others have said, I'm not sure it really is worth my time, in the end...

Still, I hate that it will be unplayable after March 1st... But, really, it's going to be cracked, right, as other games have with online components that get shutdown, right?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a shame single player was tied to a server, i'm real glad most games figured out that this was a really bad idea.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#12  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I did manage to find the time to start playing the campaign, got to mission 3-1 and probably won't have time to get any farther than that before the servers get shut down. Man, that game has so many weird and/or dumb design decisions (the video in the OP noted the most ridiculous one - that your heroes have elemental alignments that are strong against enemies of different alignments, but weak against enemies of the same, so you'd want to select the right heroes for the mission coming up, but the game only surfaces which enemies you'll meet after your selection of heroes have been locked in, with no way to back out and adjust your squad barring pressing Alt-F4 and restarting the game), but it's still pretty enjoyable. A bummer that I won't have the time to finish it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.