Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Darkstalkers

Franchise »

One of Capcom's most popular franchises, Darkstalkers is a 2D fighting series based on fantasy and myth from Capcom's glory days. Darkstalkers introduced several ideas used in later Capcom fighting games.

Darkstalkers Tribute Book (semi-review) With HD Video

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Edited By MikeFightNight

Among the onslaught of gift cards and cash this Christmas I received an unexpected surprise.  I guess the constant nagging to play Vampire Chronicle with me on my Dreamcast overtime led one of my close friends to gift me the new Darkstalkers Tribute art book.  As someone who is not into manga and comics I am actually surprised how much I am enjoying the art book.  Which I guess only makes sense since video games have so much to do with visual presentation.  The book is thick, having over 300 pages, displaying various artists renditions of characters from the Darkstalkers franchise.  Whats really interesting about the book is the creative style of each piece.  You have art ranging from cute, and fun  

No Caption Provided

Finally the timeless debate will be settled.  

to downright gritty and dark.  

Who's the Big Bad Wolf now Motherfucker?

Can I get a towel over here?

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the sexy temptresses. 
     Ummm...Nice Robe...
     Ummm...Nice Robe...

Get A Room.
     Get A Room.

Each piece is printed in outstanding color on high quality matte paper which internet images do no justice to.  The other cool thing is that each piece is accompanied by the artist's name and website, opening up new creative avenues for you to venture, if you so chose. 

As someone who has loved the Darkstalkers series since I first saw it in arcades at around eleven, it is a real treat to see the series through the eyes of so many amazing artists.  But even if your not into Darkstalkers at all, I still highly recommend the book based solely on the art inside it.  If you like monsters, sexy temptresses cool character designs and looking at amazing visuals with your eyeballs then check out the Darkstalkers Tribute book, it won't disappoint 

I also took the liberty of making a Showcase HD video of the entire book.  So relax and take a journey into the Darkstalkers world.  

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By MikeFightNight

Among the onslaught of gift cards and cash this Christmas I received an unexpected surprise.  I guess the constant nagging to play Vampire Chronicle with me on my Dreamcast overtime led one of my close friends to gift me the new Darkstalkers Tribute art book.  As someone who is not into manga and comics I am actually surprised how much I am enjoying the art book.  Which I guess only makes sense since video games have so much to do with visual presentation.  The book is thick, having over 300 pages, displaying various artists renditions of characters from the Darkstalkers franchise.  Whats really interesting about the book is the creative style of each piece.  You have art ranging from cute, and fun  

No Caption Provided

to downright gritty and dark.  

Oh yeah, and let's not forget the sexy temptresses. 
     Ummm...Nice Robe...
     Ummm...Nice Robe...

Get A Room.
     Get A Room.

Each piece is printed in outstanding color on high quality matte paper which internet images do no justice to.  The other cool thing is that each piece is accompanied by the artist's name and website, opening up new creative avenues for you to venture, if you so chose. 

As someone who has loved the Darkstalkers series since I first saw it in arcades at around eleven, it is a real treat to see the series through the eyes of so many amazing artists.  But even if your not into Darkstalkers at all, I still highly recommend the book based solely on the art inside it.  If you like monsters, sexy temptresses cool character designs and looking at amazing visuals with your eyeballs then check out the Darkstalkers Tribute book, it won't disappoint 

I also took the liberty of making a Showcase HD video of the entire book.  So relax and take a journey into the Darkstalkers world.  

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

@MikeFightNight:

Nice review Mike. I got myself a copy a little while back.  I also like some of those pics you've posted above, especially the Morrigan in the style of Michelangelo the great Renaissance painter, and the one with Felicia playing chess. There's also the pic with Sasquatch eating an ice cream cone which I love.

I would recommend the Darkstalkers Graphic File: 

No Caption Provided
    (Amazon books)
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @Linkyshinks:  Yup, I actually ordered it off Amazon shortly after I got the Tribute book.  Helped me write the wiki for the Darkstalkers Franchise and Hsien-ko Character pages.  My only compliant is the binding for it, just terrible.  Maybe I just got a bad copy. 

@TinaWood:  Yeah Amazon has them for 26 bucks, they use to go for 40 at one point I guess,  Can't go wrong for that kind of quality.
    TinaWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TinaWood
    @MikeFightNight said:
    " @Linkyshinks:  Yup, I actually ordered it off Amazon shortly after I got the Tribute book.  Helped me write the wiki for the Darkstalkers Franchise and Hsien-ko Character pages.  My only compliant is the binding for it, just terrible.  Maybe I just got a bad copy. 

@TinaWood:  Yeah Amazon has them for 26 bucks, they use to go for 40 at one point I guess,  Can't go wrong for that kind of quality. "

I've already ordered them both :P. I visited Amazon after seeing Linky's note at the bottom of his post. 
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @MikeFightNight:   You could have of got a hardback version from the official Udon shop, I imagine the qualirty of it's binding is significantly better. The binding on both mine are fine, I guess you were unlucky. If it was in bad condition to start with, you should really return it.  "
    I am talking about the Darkstalker Graphic File, the Tribute book is fantastic.  But yup that time has long past for return, i'll just make do, looks fine on the shelf;)
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Linkyshinks
    Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Liono88

That is some awesome Darkstalkers Art and the Wu-Tang shaped controller is pretty damn cool.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeFightNight
    @Linkyshinks: Hey, yeah glue is key;)   

The last time I went on Capcom unity and posted my support for a Darkstalkers re-make on the Darkstalkers forum my post was drowned out by weird conversations about the Cross-edge game, not my kind of thing, loll.  But I will try again;)

As for my history with the series I first played a Darkstalkers game when I was around ten in my local arcade (ha! remember those?)  It was Night Warriors Darkstalkers Revenge and the style of it was like nothing I had ever seen before.  I remember going home that same night and trying to draw the characters I had seen from the the side of the arcade cabinet;) 

Ever since then I have always had an appreciation for the series.  It resurfaced in my life around 2002 when I started to read about the existence of Vampire Chronicle for the Dreamcast, and well let's say that importing the game was an issue for a 15 year old so I resorted to other not so legal methods of getting the game for my Dreamcast, yes I know I am an awful person;)  I played it all throughout high-school and then when moving from my hometown for school and stuff I forgot about it.  

Then when I first heard that Street Fighter IV was coming out it re excited that fighting game love in me that had been lost and I remembered my good old friend the Dreamcast.  Have been playing it on and off ever since.

I still think they should release an HD version of Vampire Chronicle for Live and PSN to test the waters. I sure as hell would buy it, especially for online play, since most of my friends are not that into fighting games:(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.