Dash Galaxy in the Alien Asylum is a NES action game developed exclusively for the North American market, though neither its developer (Australian studio Beam Software) nor its publisher (Japanese company Data East) are from that region.
Dash Galaxy is a fearless Space Explorer has just landed on an alien planet thousands of light years from Earth. The planet is host to a strange assortment of creatures and an array of various traps.
Dash’s mission is to navigate a maze of rocket rooms and elevator shafts making it back to his ship safely. Dash must visit all rooms on each level and secure the items to proceed; he is using limited oxygen so he must move quickly. Aliens are lurking around every corner looking to take Dash’s breath away, but they are no match for his athleticism.
- Keys – Allows Dash to pass through force fields. If he attempts to pass through a force field without a key the player will lose a life.
- Bombs – Bombs can blow up enemies, blocks or force fields in elevators. Bombs have a three second detonation, be careful of the blast radius.
- Detonators – A detonator allows Dash to set off a bomb.
- Stars – Collect 10 orange stars for a brief period of invincibility, watch out for diminishing oxygen and pitfalls as they are still lethal.
- Oxygen Flasks – Pick these up to restore oxygen.
- Hearts – The player starts with four lives, finding a heart will provide an additional life.
- Switches – All switches must be turned off to exit a room.
- Picking Up Object – 25 Points
- Gold Stars – 50 Points
- Blue Stars – 100 Points
- Completing a Room or Elevator Shaft – 5 times the remaining oxygen level (Oxygen Range: 0-63)
- Completing a Level – 250 Points