Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dave Mirra

Character » appears in 6 games

Dave Mirra was a professional BMX athlete. He won numerous medals at the X-Games for park and vert riding.

Dave Mirra Committed Suicide

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

According to early reports it seems Dave Mirra, at 41, killed himself by a self inflicted gunshot wound.

I'm sure I'm not the only person on Giant Bomb who enjoyed his games as well as the athlete he was. No doubt the best BMX rider of our time if you ask me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
    deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unbelievable. I never understood it when people got upset when a celebrity died but I get it now. Guy was part of my childhood. RIP

Loading Video...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Yikes. RIP Mr. Mirra.

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Damn. I've been seeing reports of his death, but this is the first I've heard that it was a suicide.

I really enjoyed the Mirra games, as well as the man's X-Games' performances. This news sucks.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By toowalrus

Wow, I LOVED Dave Mirra Pro BMX 2. Played that tooooons when I was living abroad. I didn't know much about the man, but that doesn't matter, suicide is a tragedy in any case.

EDIT: Apparently I got Dave Mirra confused with Matt Hoffman. No matter though.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Loading Video...

RIP

bumbai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Used to watch him in the X Games and saw a couple of his rally races as well. RIP.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dude had a wife and two kids. Found dead in his truck in North Carolina where he was visiting friends. Tragic. If you need help, ask someone for help. It doesn't need to end like this.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Damn man, RIP Mirra. If I remember correctly Mirra did both Dirt and Vert ramps during his prime and was a beast. He and Mat Hoffman were literally the 1-2 punch of that sports during the late 90's up till the mid 2000's.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Curious if he suffered many concussions during his career. We've seen that lead to suicide among athletes.

MrSwift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the shit out of his games...RIP still a young guy with a family, wonder why.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@barrock: I wasn't gonna say anything about CTE, but I read somewhere where Mat Hoffman mentioned that concussion was an often occurrence with bmx riders.

Edit: here's the article

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going to ask about the CTE thing as well. A friend of mine said extreme sports athletes, skaters, bikers, etc. may rec'd DOZENS of concussions over the years. He said something like upwards over 50-60 or even more. Although the term concussion is broad because i think there are like 10 different types. but either way you slice it, its a hell of a lot of trauma to the noggin.

@acidpops91: i was the same way about celebrity deaths until Ryan Davis passed. ive been upset when actors or athletes die but that was the first time where i felt depressed. for weeks. but thats a diifferent topic for another time.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By htr10

This thread is like a basic cable news segment. It starts by reporting a tragic event and then immediately ties it into a hot topic.

rkofan87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rip wow.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.