Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DC Universe Online

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 11, 2011

An MMO for the PC and consoles that allows you to fight for and alongside the forces of good or evil from the DC Comics Universe.

How is the game?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I missed out on the beta so I am not sure how the game is, I enjoyed the concept of Champions Online but the controls were pretty bad. The game looks great but I already have World of Warcraft. So tell me about it, is it worth reordering?

Thanks.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " So I missed out on the beta so I am not sure how the game is, I enjoyed the concept of Champions Online but the controls were pretty bad. The game looks great but I already have World of Warcraft. So tell me about it, is it worth reordering? Thanks. "
    There is about 5 threads talking about it. Look around. 

I personally see it as just Champions online reskinned. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " So I missed out on the beta so I am not sure how the game is, I enjoyed the concept of Champions Online but the controls were pretty bad. The game looks great but I already have World of Warcraft. So tell me about it, is it worth reordering? Thanks. "

Are the missions, controls, stuff like that better than champions online?
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man
    @NekuSakuraba said:

Are the missions, controls, stuff like that better than champions online? "
    More or less. 
    MacroPlanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MacroPlanet
    @NekuSakuraba: To me it felt like CoH and Champions Online.  It felt like a very shallow game with some pretty decent voice acting.  However, compared to other MMO's it is not worth a purchase.  SW:TOR looks way better than DCUO.  Especially the quest system.  
    kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By kwyee
    @NekuSakuraba: I really like CO so I'm a little biased.  I played the PS3 beta. My thoughts were: 
    • Controls are nothing like CO.  This is a beat-em-up for sure.  I experienced very little lag, which is a necessity for action games like this.  Combat was smooth and enjoyable, if a bit button mashy.
    • Load times and menus are slooooow.  Every menu interaction takes 1-2 seconds and load times were often 30s+.  One very annoying issue (though this may be an artifact of the beta) is that it takes ~2 mins to get into the character select screen.  There have been times where I waited the 2 mins just to find out the servers were down :( 
    • Horrible descriptions for powers and unlike CO, there's no way to try out powers before being stuck with them. 
    • Missions are standard MMO fare. Collect this, defeat that, etc. 
    • Very nice graphics (esp for an MMO) though there were a few issues (my character often rendered without hair, camera jumps *a lot* in tight spaces) 
    • Atmosphere, story, voice acting, cut scenes are all top notch.  They're making great use of the license and Jim Lee's talents.
    Overall, I liked it quite a bit.   It was refreshing and enjoyable.
    However, I play super hero MMOs for the powers so the constant "choosing bad powers" annoyance is a non-starter for me.  Perhaps they will patch in a solution, but until then I'm waiting.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Personally I really liked what I played in the beta, but I really, truly hated how they handled costumes, powers, and weapons. Everything else though, while not terrible, is pretty good for an MMO and might just be worth the monthly fee assuming there's enough content.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba

How is the PC playerbase? 

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By frankxiv
    @kwyee said:
    "However, I play super hero MMOs for the powers so the constant "choosing bad powers" annoyance is a non-starter for me.  Perhaps they will patch in a solution, but until then I'm waiting."
    you can do a full respec for 500 monies in the hall of doom and i assume watchtower as well.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

i only played about an hour, not even that, and i really liked it. mind you, mmo wise, im strictly a wow player, i never delve into other mmos, so i have no idea about city of heroes or champions online and whatnot. 

i´m really looking forward to having some free time to play it, but work+wow raids arent helping.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269
    @NekuSakuraba: The GB team did a live stream of the game in case you missed it. It looks boring as hell, but that's because I'm not a MMO person.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Rhaknar said:
    " i only played about an hour, not even that, and i really liked it. mind you, mmo wise, im strictly a wow player, i never delve into other mmos, so i have no idea about city of heroes or champions online and whatnot.  i´m really looking forward to having some free time to play it, but work+wow raids arent helping. "
    What was good and bad about it? Did you notice a healthy amount of players online?
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By fugie7
    @NekuSakuraba:  As far as i was playing there were decent amount of people online playing the game.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By niamahai
    @fugie7:

is there any gear in the game?
    outfit slots?
    fishnets?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Want to buy it so bad, I wish it had a trial...

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By fugie7
    @niamahai: 
    there's gear in the game, and you can change your outfit anytime you want. As far as i seen so far i haven't seen any fishnets.
    @NekuSakuraba:
    did you play the beta game went it was out on the playstation?
    gave1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By gave1
    @NekuSakuraba: the game comes with a 30 day trial.  At least on PS3, assume it's the same on PC.
    dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By dogbox

So far I think it's great. I didn't play Champions Online, so I can't compare much there. I'll just say that I like the more action-oriented combat in DCUO, compared to other MMOs. The quests are fun and seem to be balanced for both solo and groups, and the atmosphere is terrific. I'm not a huge comic fan by any means, but I'm loving crawling around Gotham, taking cues from Batman. There's definitely gear in the game, and while it changes your appearance, you earn different "styles" that you can lock in place to keep the look of your character consistent, if you so choose.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tunaburn

I really really really want to try this out. I wish they offered a free trial. Like FREE. Not pay $60 for the game and get a free week.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @tunaburn

I really really really want to try this out. I wish they offered a free trial. Like FREE. Not pay $60 for the game and get a free week.
    Same here. =/
    Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rattle618

I say just go for Chapions Online, they seem pretty much the same and CO is going F2P very soon.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I think I'm going to cave and buy it, do a lot of you guys play it on PC?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Sooty

It's a bad mix between Global Agenda and Champion's Online.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I just bought DC Universe Online, this might end greatly, or terribly.

Pilot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Pilot13

Let us know what you think. I'm curious about picking this up.

dirtysponge1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dirtysponge1

So far I am loving the game on the PS3 the game has been really fun. I thought the fighting would be more of the traditional D&D finghting but you actually control the punching and special attacks directly. The quests are cool and the worlds are huge! Cant wait to join a League and really go at it!

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This game is awesome. I didn't follow it and never knew about it's existence until 4 days ago when I saw it on Steam. For an impulse buy it's been a lot of fun. I'm thinking of getting a lifetime subscription after 3 or so months of monitoring how well the game will be supported. The game has a really good base of ideas and there is a lot of potential for great things. The launch has gone pretty smoothly as well compared to other MMOs. 

I really hope SOE don't screw this one up.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

From what I've seen from the quick look, not that great.

MorkkiTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By MorkkiTH

I liked the game. I experienced lots of crashing though... and bugs... otherwise it seems to be good game.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#30  Edited By huntad
    @NekuSakuraba: I have bought the actual game. I like it a lot. I like it more than WoW, but I have been away from WoW for a long time and have no intention of coming back.  
    First, the costume system is cool, because you can change your costume on the fly with the different styles you've collected. You can essentially look the same through the entire game, or you can use the different styles that are on the loot drops to continuously change your appearance like in any MMO. The bright side is, unlike in other MMOs where you look like complete garbage from your 20's to your 50's (level wise), in DCUO you look awesome throughout. 

Second, the combat system is combo based. You don't just click and forget watching your guy autoattack at enemies. You unlock new combos and they vary across 10+ fighting styles that you can choose from. There are physics, and the quests are very combat-based and some of the objectives are quite refreshing. Still, there are basic MMO missions where you kill some of these, and some of those. That's just how MMOs are though. 

Another cool feature is the ability to quest with your faction in peace. If anyone has played MMOs, they know that when questing they have to attack an enemy right away and tag it as their own so no one else steals the kill and robs them of their quest completion. In DCUO, the quest completion/experience is shared as long as you helped fight the enemy (even if you aren't grouped up).  

Those are just some of the things I wanted to clear up. As always, people just go off of the quick looks or from what they heard or played in a beta. Betas are definitely a viable way to judge things at certain times, but judging controls, framerate, or any sort of performance in beta or even right at launch is crazy talk. Everyone knows that MMOs have the rockiest starts at launch. I don't know why people wrote this game off, but I'm just giving a fresh take on what I think is a great, new MMO. 
    cetecete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By cetecete

Waiting for a downloadable free trial for this one :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.