Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DC Universe Online

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 11, 2011

An MMO for the PC and consoles that allows you to fight for and alongside the forces of good or evil from the DC Comics Universe.

Soooo, hows the game guys?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

Im very curious to see how the launch of this thing went considering I did really like what I played in the beta? those who are playing it on PS3, how is the experince? To those of you who played the beta on PS3, how has it improved? Do you think this thing has legs? This game is actualy a pretty big deal because it could be the first successful, great MMO on a console.  And its one of the few ones even out on a console.
    ImpendingFoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ImpendingFoil

It has only been a day but I'm really liking it so far.  The more action based gameplay really helps on a console and is the exact polar opposite o FFXI which is pretty much the only console MMO, though I never played EverQuest Adventures or whatever the hell that thing was called.  The big problem I see for the PS3 version is lack of communication.  Since a keyboard or headset is not included for the system I guess many people just never bothered to pick either up.  Though the few people that have are all extremely friendly so far and great to play with.

The quests are your standard MMO thing of kill the same bunch of guys and then go somewhere else to do the same.  I will say that that their instanced dungeons are fun in they offer a couple objectives and a boss battle that is atleast a bit different than the normal game fighting sequences.

The game, though while a little buggy, is much better now than it was during the beta.  I've only had it freeze up once over the course of 5 hours and not about once every 20 min as it had in the beta.

I also really enjoy the animated comic cutscenes that are unlocked throughout the game. 

I'm willing to probably give this game a few months.  I know there has been talked of a decent sized new content patch every two months so I'm really hoping they stick to that plan.   The alert I played it, a 4 player dungeon type encounter, was a ton of fun and I'm hoping new patches will add more of those.  It really is too early though to make a decent review of the game but I think this is at least something worth checking out.

NinjaTard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By NinjaTard

Best Buy sold my copy that I pre-ordered. I was able to argue with them to have them sell me the regular PC version (I ordered Collectors) at the CE price and just open a PS3 version to give me the statue and comics/etc. Got it home, did a thirty or forty minute install. Then couldn't sign in because it said my birthday, 4-19-81, wasn't old enough to play. I went online and got my Station account and then went to start the game.......and got "Can Not Connect With Server"

It was just a few minutes past 7PM so I wasnt able to get tech support and opted to email them. It's been three hours and i haven't played a single second of this game but the install screens were gorgeous

So far this sucks!

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By conker
    @NinjaTard said:
    " Best Buy sold my copy that I pre-ordered. I was able to argue with them to have them sell me the regular PC version (I ordered Collectors) at the CE price and just open a PS3 version to give me the statue and comics/etc. Got it home, did a thirty or forty minute install. Then couldn't sign in because it said my birthday, 4-19-81, wasn't old enough to play. I went online and got my Station account and then went to start the game.......and got "Can Not Connect With Server"  It was just a few minutes past 7PM so I wasnt able to get tech support and opted to email them. It's been three hours and i haven't played a single second of this game but the install screens were gorgeous  So far this sucks! "
    Sounds like typical MMO fanfare to me! 
    Hopefully it lasts longer than 6 months; it looks really promising
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

I watched a little bit of the live stream of Vinny playing the PC version earlier today.  I only watched him in the tutorial area and during some of the early missions, but it seems all right.  Fast paced.  Some intelligent design decisions (defeated enemies dropping multiple quest items at a time, the combat seems to require at least some skill) and the DC hero appearances are suitable.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By apathylad

I played the beta. I enjoyed it, but not enough to subscribe for months. 

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By donchipotle

I'm really liking it so far. The Alerts and Arenas are really, really fun. 

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By HadesTimes

So how high in level has anyone gotten so far? I made it to level 17 before I quit the beta.  How is it after that? 

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

Anyone willing to give impressions of the PVP (there is PVP in the game, right)?

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By frankxiv
    @Andorski said:
    " Anyone willing to give impressions of the PVP (there is PVP in the game, right)? "
    the legends pvp is kinda fun, just control point maps from what i've played so far. expect a lot of  5 batmans and/or robins vs 5 harley quinns. haven't tried any of the other stuff yet besides world pvp, but that's ok. it's kinda fun seeing a red blip on the map, chasing them down across rooftops and shit, and then realizing they're 5 levels higher than you when you catch up to them. 

it's kind of nicely designed as well so that before level 5 they are keeping you away from each other, but then it's like you both have mission objectives in the same areas after that. like in metropolis around 8 or 9, there's a mission at the hospital that is just absolute chaos. villains are summoning demons and beating up doctors for medical supplies, and heroes are fighting the demons and protecting citizens i think. but it's basically everyone on both sides in that level range just swarming the building and fighting over objectives.

it's nice right now because there's no min/maxed ideal pvp spec that has surfaced and everyone is just fighting with whatever they have. lots of people complaining about higher guys camping entrances to instanced missions in shout, or asking for help taking them down, but that's to be expected. 

even if you aren't on a pvp server, you can still flag yourself for pvp, but only other people who are pvp flagged can fight you in the world. all the arena stuff is still in on pve though as well. and there's also pvp world events that text spam pops up for, but i haven't been able to find yet.
    Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Andorski
    @onimonkii: Hmmm, I'll probably hold off for a couple of months then and see how the PvP evolves.  Hopefully powers can be balanced even after optimal builds are tested and proven. 

I haven't really been following DCUO, so the combat is confusing me right now.  I was under the impression that it's more action oriented, but all the recent beta videos I have watched make it look way more like traditional MMO-like (all about stats, buffs, debuffs, etc.).  I hope GB does a quicklook on this game so I can get a better feel on what the game is like.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Andorski said:
    " @onimonkii: Hmmm, I'll probably hold off for a couple of months then and see how the PvP evolves.  Hopefully powers can be balanced even after optimal builds are tested and proven.  I haven't really been following DCUO, so the combat is confusing me right now.  I was under the impression that it's more action oriented, but all the recent beta videos I have watched make it look way more like traditional MMO-like (all about stats, buffs, debuffs, etc.).  I hope GB does a quicklook on this game so I can get a better feel on what the game is like. "

they did already, its archived in their justintv account. You will NOT get a good idea of the game from it, they clearly didnt like it (they dont like a mmo, shocking i know) but most importantly, they dont show or know what to do in it. im not bashing them or the video, im just telling you that its not a good source of information about it
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By frankxiv
    @Andorski said:
    " @onimonkii: Hmmm, I'll probably hold off for a couple of months then and see how the PvP evolves.  Hopefully powers can be balanced even after optimal builds are tested and proven.  I haven't really been following DCUO, so the combat is confusing me right now.  I was under the impression that it's more action oriented, but all the recent beta videos I have watched make it look way more like traditional MMO-like (all about stats, buffs, debuffs, etc.).  I hope GB does a quicklook on this game so I can get a better feel on what the game is like. "
    they did a live one today, like 45 minutes, hopefully it's up by tomorrow. the combat is like dynasty warriors with hotbar abilities. left click and right click are your attacks, and you can learn new combos as you level (left click 4x then hold, tap right click then hold, hold right click 3 times, hold left click, etc...), those are the weapon abilities you choose, your powers are 1-6 on your hotbar, and have energy use and cooldowns associated with them. the really powerful ones have supercharge meter requirements as well, supercharge is an orange 3rd meter that slowly fills as you do combos and such
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By cornbredx

To be honest, from what I've seen of it, I'm really surprised. I actually want to give it a try. Would be nice to play a new MMO that doesn't die and is fun to play. If it holds up I may stick with it for awhile. I won't be able to get it until my next paycheck, though, so we'll see.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rhaknar
    @onimonkii said:
    " @Andorski said:
    they did a live one today, like 45 minutes, hopefully it's up by tomorrow. the combat is like dynasty warriors with hotbar abilities. left click and right click are your attacks, and you can learn new combos as you level (left click 4x then hold, tap right click then hold, hold right click 3 times, hold left click, etc...), those are the weapon abilities you choose, your powers are 1-6 on your hotbar, and have energy use and cooldowns associated with them. the really powerful ones have supercharge meter requirements as well, supercharge is an orange 3rd meter that slowly fills as you do combos and such "

is that what the orange bar is? i only played it for about...45mins, with a magician summoner, and all the little pet thing seemed to be doing was filling that orange bar, not actually attacking enemies... i guess i just dont have anything to use the orange bar with at lvl 3 or whtever i got to in 45mins :p
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By frankxiv
    @Rhaknar said:
    "is that what the orange bar is? i only played it for about...45mins, with a magician summoner, and all the little pet thing seemed to be doing was filling that orange bar, not actually attacking enemies... i guess i just dont have anything to use the orange bar with at lvl 3 or whtever i got to in 45mins :p "
    yeah, when you get one it will show an orange ring around it in your hotbar, and it will light up when you fill it enough. not sure what it is in the sorcery trees but for ice it's like a big aoe storm that stuns and does damage for 100% charge, or encasing yourself in ice to heal up for 50% charge, that' i've used. 

it will say before you pick it like "25% supercharge needed" so you know beforehand what the requirement is. i can see it being kind of a pain to have too many powers that depend on it, so that's nice they let you know.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rhaknar
    @onimonkii said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    "is that what the orange bar is? i only played it for about...45mins, with a magician summoner, and all the little pet thing seemed to be doing was filling that orange bar, not actually attacking enemies... i guess i just dont have anything to use the orange bar with at lvl 3 or whtever i got to in 45mins :p "
    yeah, when you get one it will show an orange ring around it in your hotbar, and it will light up when you fill it enough. not sure what it is in the sorcery trees but for ice it's like a big aoe storm that stuns and does damage for 100% charge, or encasing yourself in ice to heal up for 50% charge, that' i've used.  it will say before you pick it like "25% supercharge needed" so you know beforehand what the requirement is. i can see it being kind of a pain to have too many powers that depend on it, so that's nice they let you know. "

that sounds...pretty awesome (the ice shit that is). have you experimented much with powers and weapons and shit? i wonder whats a good lvl to get to to get a good sense of what a particular weapon/power combo will be. 

also, do you know if with fire, you can spec into setting yourself on fire, ala human torch, or do you need to use the lava skin for that effect
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By frankxiv
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @onimonkii said:
    " @Rhaknar said:
    yeah, when you get one it will show an orange ring around it in your hotbar, and it will light up when you fill it enough. not sure what it is in the sorcery trees but for ice it's like a big aoe storm that stuns and does damage for 100% charge, or encasing yourself in ice to heal up for 50% charge, that' i've used.  it will say before you pick it like "25% supercharge needed" so you know beforehand what the requirement is. i can see it being kind of a pain to have too many powers that depend on it, so that's nice they let you know. "
    that sounds...pretty awesome (the ice shit that is). have you experimented much with powers and weapons and shit? i wonder whats a good lvl to get to to get a good sense of what a particular weapon/power combo will be.  also, do you know if with fire, you can spec into setting yourself on fire, ala human torch, or do you need to use the lava skin for that effect "
    i haven't messed with fire much, but ice has a power, i think it's the first one in cryogenics, where if you stack the effect enough you turn into a huge ice form for a short time. not sure if fire does it but i think they have a similar power. sadly for powers ice is all i've gone past 5 with so far (i'm a sucker for ice powers).

once you hit level 10 you can actually put skill points into any other weapon set you want, and i think from there which you use just depends what you have equipped at the time, not sure though. so you could probably use that to try out other weapon sets on one guy and then respec into purely what you want or whatever. at 11 right now i have pretty much all but the shuriken combos and passive abilities from martial arts, so i'd say that's a pretty good point to know if you like a weapon set or not.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Rhaknar

with a lvl cap of 30 and skill points alternating with power points, AND with skill points going into weapon and movement, i doubt ill ever get a second weapon skill on any character I make to be honest

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.