Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

DC Universe Online

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 11, 2011

An MMO for the PC and consoles that allows you to fight for and alongside the forces of good or evil from the DC Comics Universe.

What I think of DC Universe Online. (Part 1).

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By NekuSakuraba

So about every 10 hours of gameplay I will write a new blog telling you guys what I think about the game and see how it holds up the longer I play it. Let's get started. 

The combat of DC Universe is fantastic for an MMO, instead of giving it that World of Warcraft type gameplay where you would simply right click to auto-attack and have a chance to evade in DC those mechanics give you much more control over your character. The game feels more like an action game than an MMO and gives a really nice hack and slash feel to it. In MMOs the gameplay has always been only ''okay'' and most of them would be poor if not an MMO but it's getting closer to single player games quality. The powers are also pretty awesome, giving you a wide range of toys to play with. Dropping a meteor from the sky to pick up and smash guys with, mixing your movement type skills with your weapon of choice, it's all great fun.  

Character creation is nice also, although not as good as Champions Online. The menus are a bit cluttered but I found the style I wanted fairly easy and everything was good. You wouldn't have much trouble finding the certain stuff you wanted. The graphics are great for an MMO, standing of top of a building and looks over the city looks great. There are also some pretty bad ass armor and weapon sets found both in game and in the character creator. The city is fairly big from what I could tell and when just walking on the streets instead of flying etc, it looks pretty big.  

Legends PVP is also great fun, choosing from a range of super heroes and super villains to play is awesome and it is basically classes based PVP. It is fun and you get to unlock new legends (or ''classes'') as you play. As for traditional PVP I have only played a bit but from what I have it seems like fun. I'm on a PVP server and it gives that really awesome Heroes vs Villains feel. Villains were attacking low level characters at a certain location so the Heroes grouped together to fight the Villains and send them back home.   

The missions in the game seem fairly standard from what I can tell, kill these, smash these, disable these, but I have seen some higher level quests and they seem to get better as the game goes along. The games combat feels great and fun as I said so I don't mind beating stuff up because it's fun. Fighting along the DC guys is also pretty awesome, I'm not that into DC but it was still cool to beat up dudes with Superman and Flash. 

Well, that's all for now. I will keep you guys updated as I play! Thanks for reading.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So about every 10 hours of gameplay I will write a new blog telling you guys what I think about the game and see how it holds up the longer I play it. Let's get started. 

The combat of DC Universe is fantastic for an MMO, instead of giving it that World of Warcraft type gameplay where you would simply right click to auto-attack and have a chance to evade in DC those mechanics give you much more control over your character. The game feels more like an action game than an MMO and gives a really nice hack and slash feel to it. In MMOs the gameplay has always been only ''okay'' and most of them would be poor if not an MMO but it's getting closer to single player games quality. The powers are also pretty awesome, giving you a wide range of toys to play with. Dropping a meteor from the sky to pick up and smash guys with, mixing your movement type skills with your weapon of choice, it's all great fun.  

Character creation is nice also, although not as good as Champions Online. The menus are a bit cluttered but I found the style I wanted fairly easy and everything was good. You wouldn't have much trouble finding the certain stuff you wanted. The graphics are great for an MMO, standing of top of a building and looks over the city looks great. There are also some pretty bad ass armor and weapon sets found both in game and in the character creator. The city is fairly big from what I could tell and when just walking on the streets instead of flying etc, it looks pretty big.  

Legends PVP is also great fun, choosing from a range of super heroes and super villains to play is awesome and it is basically classes based PVP. It is fun and you get to unlock new legends (or ''classes'') as you play. As for traditional PVP I have only played a bit but from what I have it seems like fun. I'm on a PVP server and it gives that really awesome Heroes vs Villains feel. Villains were attacking low level characters at a certain location so the Heroes grouped together to fight the Villains and send them back home.   

The missions in the game seem fairly standard from what I can tell, kill these, smash these, disable these, but I have seen some higher level quests and they seem to get better as the game goes along. The games combat feels great and fun as I said so I don't mind beating stuff up because it's fun. Fighting along the DC guys is also pretty awesome, I'm not that into DC but it was still cool to beat up dudes with Superman and Flash. 

Well, that's all for now. I will keep you guys updated as I play! Thanks for reading.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By shirogane

Mmm, glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully it stays fun for a while longer huh? 
    MMO's tend to drop a bit after the first month sometimes, DCU seems like it might not do that though, not sure yet...hopefully not, it looks like something unique.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Shirogane said:
    " Mmm, glad you're enjoying it. Hopefully it stays fun for a while longer huh? MMO's tend to drop a bit after the first month sometimes, DCU seems like it might not do that though, not sure yet...hopefully not, it looks like something unique. "
    Yeah, it will be interesting to see how it turns out in while. :)
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By emem

I will never play DCU, because it's not my type of game, but I think it's cool when someone really enjoys a game as much as you do. Thank god people got different tastes! Have fun. :)

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Matfei90

I've probably put about 10 hours into it so far (with a terrible case of alt-itis). After reading what you said about being on a PVP server, I ought to make a character there, as the PVE ones feel a bit sparse (I rarely ever see a villain, or hero around).

JokerFrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By JokerFrown

Something I have noticed with the Feats.  The game seems like it is going to expand sooner rather then later in terms of size.  There are feats for exploring all of a "Classic" area which leads me to believe that more areas will be added.  Yay DC Universe!!!!

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By SMTDante89

If I wasn't a poor student in college and had a good gaming PC, I think I would genuinely enjoy this.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By babblinmule

Ive probably sunk in around 10 hours too (level 18 currently), and as a guy who doesnt play alot of mmo's, I am loving it. It doesnt seem too deep, which is just perfect for a guy like me who wants a 'my first mmo' style game.

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah I'm not huge on MMOs and before this game I thought Batman was a Marvel character because I am completely ignorant of that stuff and Marvel was the only comic maker I knew, but I still think this game is a lot of fun. It's an enjoyable game even without an interest in MMOs or comics. In my opinion the game is off to a good start. The launch went relatively smoothly and downtimes have been short for the first week. There is a good amount of content, the combat is fun, the feats system translating to skill points is a nice touch, and the world is bustling and very exciting from my experience on a PvP server. I like that the focus of the game isn't on the grind and more about opening all the cool things up for you quicker so you can actually do those cool things instead of enduring hours of grinding for the carrot on the stick. I also think only being able to choose between 6 powers to use is great because it makes the combat less about spamming as many powers as you can between cooldowns and more about thinking of how to cover all the bases. If they fix the bugs, explain the mechanics a little better for new users, change how they do the targeting priority, completely redo the chat system, remove the fucking profanity filter, make the scaling a little smaller so things don't take up the entire screen, rework the interface a bit, and keep their promise of monthly updates, I think the game could be a keeper for me personally. Oh, and the voice acting is AMAZING throughout. Hopefully SOE pay up to keep the current cast together for future content.

The bastard GMs changed my name from 'Pantless Furry' though because it apparently violated their naming policy. Those sluts.

dirtysponge1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By dirtysponge1

This game is a comic fans heaven. I am really loving the game (Currently lvl10 on the Crisis server) I cant wait to get to the big leagues and do RAIDS!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By animateria

I'm probably going to re-jump into Champions Online (Free for All or whatever) after being done with the demo. 

I don't think either game is really worth much in a monthly payment since I generally find myself playing alone. 

The multiplayer (PVE anyways since that's all that I did in WoW), amounts to what I get from Monster Hunter Tri, and that's just free.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By KaosAngel

How good is the PvP greifing?  It's one of the biggest draws for me, I love killing dudes to make their days worse.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.