Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Cells

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 10, 2017

Dead Cells is a metroidvania style rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

Anyone else being playing Dead Cells?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulcake

If you like CastleVania and rogue legacy i can fully recommend this game from the art style to the game-play it's pretty great ! Also this game seem to come from nowhere never heard of it before, so it's a nice surprise after Strafe being kind of a bummer.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Played 3h or so today. As someone that's never been able to get into roguelikes before, the pace and speed of this game is right up my alley. Every time I died I was right back in it and kept going, kind of a meatboy thing. I'm really liking it.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dan's streaming it and it looks really good. Vinnie and Alex should give this a whirl.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The only thing that stopped me from impulse buying this was the Early Access label. I have a hard time with that now. I just don't want an unfinished experience.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

I bought it today at work and can't wait to get home and try it. I'm probably going to play this alongside Prey.

Side note, the sales/prices of games I'm interested this week were too good. I wish I had more restraint. My haul from this week is:

• Axiom Verge - $10
    • Dead Cells - $14
    • Bayonetta - $15
    • Vanquish - $15
    • Stellaris - $12 and part of the humble monthly
    • Prey - full price, but I'm enjoying the game more than critics seem to

I'll be busy for a while!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Looks awesome but think I'll hold off until it's out of EA. Looks so good that I don't want to wear it out before all the content is in

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pie: I totally hear you and it's one issue I have with EA. This seems like a game with high replayability though so I was willing to jump on this game while it's in EA.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads
    @big_denim said:

@pie: I totally hear you and it's one issue I have with EA. This seems like a game with high replayability though so I was willing to jump on this game while it's in EA.

I still think you are hurting your experience, even with replayable games. The game that turned me off EA was Darkest Dungeon. I burned myself out on it before they added a ton and fixed rough parts. More content adds a lot to replayable games.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pweidman said:

Dan's streaming it and it looks really good. Vinnie and Alex should give this a whirl.

Where was this happening?

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads: Oh really? That's a shame. Darkest Dungeon is a game I always think of doing EA right. It wasn't a buggy mess in EA, they constantly kept in touch with the community, rolled out updates in a timely manner, and most importantly, shipped the game. To each his own I suppose though.

An example of a game I can't wait for, but am actively avoiding (even though it's technically in my library already) is Divinity Original Sin 2. I have no interest in playing through the 1st act of a game, just to have to replay it again when it finally releases (even though I suppose those games have good replayability as well).

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@big_denim: They were saying that they played the game too much while it was in an early state and grew tired of the game while it was still unfinished, not that the developer's use of EA was poor. This has happened to me, too. I want to play and eventually grow tired of the complete product, not the core unfinished skeleton of the game.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin:

Sorry, Dan's Gaming on twitch.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@big_denim: It's not an issue with anything you brought up or Darkest Dungeon doing Early Access wrong, it's that I put my time into that game when it was inferior (with less classes, enemies, not all the areas, less balance, less options, etc) and by the time it was done I was done with the game. I would have had a better time if I waited. There are hardly any games I come back to repeatedly over time. I pretty much play something and move on, at least for a while.

I have grown more patient with game releases in ways and for me I am starting to just pretend Early Access games don't exist. Then when they go full release it's like a nice little surprise again and I jump in then.

@kcin basically summed it up.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@tobbrobb: same. I'm totally blown away by it.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i picked it up last night. I've spent about 1.5 with it so far and i'm legitimately terrible at it. i beat the first boss and can make it to the toxic sewers no problem but i die quickly once i'm there.

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NeoCalypso

Man even in early access this game seems pretty great. The combat and most of the movement just feel so good. It's really fast and fluid and there are a bunch of time where you'll feel cool pulling stuff off. I really like how capable your character is. You can roll in mid jump, you can put your shield up mid combo, you can switch attack directions mid combo, you can roll under numerous attacks and behind any enemy(which btw not taking contact damage is also great).

My only real problems so far is that dropping down platforms doesn't feel the best, and it's actually shockingly easy to get killed from 100% to zero in a second or two because there doesn't seem to be any invincibility when you get hit. So the random elites that spawn minions can practically one-shot you the moment you hit them if you get unlucky and they spawn a minion on top of you. Also get 2 or 3 of those scythe bats on you and you are 100% dead.

@oldmanlight said:

i beat the first boss and can make it to the toxic sewers no problem but i die quickly once i'm there.

I pretty much refuse to go to the sewers, It's way harder than the Promenade and there doesn't seem to be any increased reward for going there other than you just get an extra floor worth of loot and such(since you go straight to the Promenade after finishing the sewers anyway).

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

Man, I keep hearing that Strafe turn out a bummer. Hope they take a look at it here and see what's up.

This thing looks great though. Less interested in the whole roguelike thing lately, but the Souls-inspired combat looks cool!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Game is awesome. 10/10 can't wait to play the finished version. I'm having so much fun with it right now it's already worth the price of admission.

Rocketskates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A game like this I feel like buying it in early access just to support it, not because I actually want to experience it unfinished. So glad that people are enjoying this because it looks super rad.

Fisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played a few hours today and it's got a great feel to the combat. I tried out a lot of weapon combinations to see how they all feel and I'm already seeing that I'll probably have my go-to combo when the game is fully released but I can get by with just about anything in combat which makes the game feel approachable. There are definitely kinks that need to be ironed out and features missing completely but I think fans of these types of games (Symphony of the Night, Rogue Legacy, etc.) will adore this game when it's released. Really digging it so far.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far this game feels super solid. Impression I'm under is they are mostly going to add more areas/routes and more blueprints for additional weapons. I wouldn't drop 100 hours into this game yet but playing it here and there now shouldn't taint the experience too much, with how the progression is structured.

I will say the power curve is sort of insane and I need to get around to picking up additional traversal powers to make sure I can get all the different level ups in a given area before moving on as getting past the first REAL boss sees a huge ramp up in power curve I was only able to deal with because I had a broken as hell skill combo (Meat Grinder + Magnetic grenade is amazing, especially in my case where it was a meat grinder that poisoned every hit)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just picked it up today, so looking forward to it.

20ozmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bought this today and played for about 15 minutes. Was enjoying it enough that I had to peel myself away and get back to work. Excited to get more into it later.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By 49th

I keep getting great runs ruined at the last moment by things that I feel weren't my fault.

I had literally 1 tick of damage to go on the boss, he was poisoned by my turret but I was stuck in the corner so I tried to roll through his swing attack which I had done 50 times already but I got hit and died somehow.

I also just went through the prison depths with 80 cells and when I was pretty much at the end I climbed a chain to try to aggro 2 bombats, I had to drop down into some water and when I tried to roll I realised that you can't roll quickly in water and got fucking double exploded and died at the very end. I guess I know now but that was extremely frustrating. I had a shitload of upgrades too including firebombs and a meat grinder that did 250% damage to burning enemies.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By chebbles

I am really enjoying it overall, but I am looking forward to them scaling the difficulty back a little more. My last few deaths have all been related to stun locking in some way, the area after the first boss has some bits with the cannon guys and the little blue minions that if you are a mindless for a second you just end up dead. Put in about 7 hours now, it is really good and I look forward to it being finished.

Edit: Got lucky with an electric whip and throwing knives combo, with a turret and grenades. I feel ranged weapons with auto-targeting has been a safe strategy for the whole game. The stat effect on the throwing knives where if an enemy dies whilst bleeding enemies in a certain radius bleed too can be deadly. Got to what I think is the second boss...that's going to be an annoying one.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel they need to tone back the difficulty on the elites. They do too much damage and have too much health. Either the damage or the health should get scaled back. Losing progress because you died is one thing, but losing progress because you died from one mistake and got one shotted just feels cheap making you less likely to hop back in.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Area after the area after the boss is insane. I've died to the same thing on all 4 occasions I made it to that area. Invis + hook. And that area is so long to make it through, ungh. I think my last time there I got CLOSE (if not I'm terrified of how long the area behind the locked door is). Feels like they either need to slow down damage scaling up in areas slightly or be slightly less stingy with level ups so health isn't as prone to be one shot while also having not horrible damage.

Also it feels like there are only a few truly worthwhile weapons (at least that I've seen so far). Twin Daggers and rapier seem to be the top 2 melee weapons and electric whip feels in a tier by itself for ranged. At least there are a few different interesting sets of skills that can mix and match to create interesting combos. Phaser + Damage Amplifier + rapier is insane, activate the amplifier, roll then phase and strike for mega damage.

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently won this in a steam gifts giveaway, and now it is all I want to play. So satisfying combat. Every death feels like I deserved it. Great running around. I can't recommend this (I guess still unfinished) game enough.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play this all the time.

Probably my favorite game in the last few years.

PM_Xenos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying not to. Not as much anyway. I was hitting it up almost daily. I find even when it's frustrating, it works almost more as a vent for life's frustrations too. I guess that's a good point of Rogue-lite-like-apus games.

I've also gotten every achievement save for two, one of which is beating the game with three boss orbs in play.

I saw Jeff play it at the end of this vid:

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/stress-test-ultra-remix/2300-12744/

Made me realize how far gone into it I am. Jeff didn't even have the teleport rune.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am not very good at it but I have been playing again since the recent update. It got harder since I stopped playing. There are new and different enemies. Scrolls work differently and weapon upgrades. All my old weapon upgrades are gone, but all my unlocks are still there otherwise. I had 20 hours in the game from before and didn't have the teleport rune yet. The update made the boss on the bridge harder so I started exploring the areas before the boss more. Found the teleport rune and now I am working on the Ossuary. If you haven't played for a while you might want to check out the changes.

I feel I will never kill that damned eyeball boss. :(

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game is fun! I don't really think I like the melee combat though... something about dodging in that game isn't really clicking with me... so I just use ranged weapons and the ranged abilities and it's so much fun! I like how you can combo bows with certain attributes like "frozen targets take 100% more damage" or stuff like that. Feels really good getting the combo and even if you don't have that combo, you can still upgrade the damage of items independently by the color upgrade system. its a solid $20

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.