Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Cells

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 10, 2017

Dead Cells is a metroidvania style rogue-lite set in an ever-changing castle.

What weapons and items do you freaking hate?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SethMode

So, in contrast to the other thread, what are some weapons and combos that you would recommend that most people avoid? I feel like I've dug into this game enough now (although I admittedly haven't unlocked all of the weapons yet) to know what I think are brilliant weapons and what just dirt stinks.So, number one with a bullet for me, melee wise is the 300 Sandals and the Nutcracker. I LOVE what both of them do in some instances but overall I just hate them. From there, I've hated just about every whip I've had, particularly whatever one pulls people to you in a low damage combo. I'm not a bow dude, but I love the Ice Bow and the shotgun bow, and even the Infantry bow with the right set up, but any other one I've used that requires any amount of hesitation has SUUUCKED (for me). And finally, the Broadsword. IT. CAN. GO. DIE.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not a fan of most of the shields. They either don't block enough damage or they are too slow to pull out or I put myself at risk trying to parry when I could just guarantee no damage by rolling.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The lightning whip sucks and I don't see myself ever using shields.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The shields are something I feel like I don't even consider because I just don't get the parry aspect of the game, outside of bosses. 99% of the time you are bombarded on all sides and so shields are just fucking useless.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dual bladed boss weapon is pretty awful and useless. It's way too slow to even get its critical modifier to activate, which is unfortunate because it has great range and the second swing actually comes out pretty fast.

The crusher skill seemed like it could be good, but it's really just a slower, inferior chainsaw skill.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Dude, I've been wrecking house with the Broadsword. Pair it up with a freeze blast and most enemies go down in a single hit if you've upgraded it at a Blacksmith on your run. Super OP.

So far, the only weapon I haven't been digging is the electric whip. Just a low damage combo from my experience so far.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inresurrection: hah fair enough dude! I just can't get used to the damn timing of it!

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: Mmmmm it feels so great if you click with the flow of it. Definitely gotta roll a lot with it and find ways to cancel out of combos and get around enemies, but it's got a nice range and a very powerful swing!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

My best runs have been with whips so go figure.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: And this is one of the many beautiful things about Dead Cells.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Shields for me as well, I forced myself to try a couple but as said above, it's not worth it when you can just dodge everything. The Electric Whip sucks as well, or at least I haven't found a good use for it.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By militantfreudian

I don't care much for the Ice Shard, maybe when paired with a ranged weapon that drenches enemies with inflammable oil; otherwise, it's very situational.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I haven't played in ages but I never liked the lightning whip or ice hadoken.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SethMode

I like the idea of Ice Shard, but it's just so slow that it feels tough to use in high intensity situations (which is basically all situations after a point), especially after you unlock the Ice Bow.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I know is I got the nutcracker and freeze blast and have gotten way further than I ever have before. I almost feel like I'm cheating lol.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: that fight was infinitely frustrating for me and even when I finished it it was by the skin of my teeth. There is an aspect of it that feels like if you hit him at the right moment he will hover to the middle? I don't know. It's brutal either way with any kind of close combat focus because he will also throw up that shield thing that does crazy damage if you are in range. Funny enough, for hating in whips, the Valmont whip was what got me through that fight.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By darkjohnny47

The frame rate on the the Switch is the worst weapon against me. I normally don't care about frame rate stuff, but this actually made me sick.

*But, i really like the bows. I wish I had access to more of them though.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkjohnny477: so, not to hijack my own thread but...is it really that bad? I've been thinking of double dipping on it as something to play on the exercise bike at the gym, and I'm not usually one to get bothered by framerate dips, but a lot of people I've seen complain about it have prefaced it with that very statement so I'm a bit gun shy.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I don't really like the shields. I have landed some good parries and projectile counters and that's fun, but I'm bad with the timing and I'll eat some damage too. I much prefer using bows and throwing knifes.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@sethmode: No, it's not that bad. I've been playing on Switch, and it's working pretty great. I'm usually very sensitive to this stuff, and while it may not be a solid 60 at all times, the game plays great. If you only plan to play the game on a big-screen TV or whatever, then buy it on PS4 or PC. But if you think you would like it portable, you should absolutely play on the Switch.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I find myself not really caring about shields at all. They can be good in specific instances, and I've used a couple of legendary ones when I get them and liked using them, but dodging is guaranteed to mitigate all damage every time, so I don't really see the purpose of shields long term. The later stages get too chaotic to even consider them. Although I did unlock one earlier that didn't have a parry, but blocks 90% of damage, inflicts a decent amount in return, AND throws a grenade. I almost tried it out but I didn't.

Lotta hate for the electric whips...that seems crazy to me. I love them, even if their combo damage is typically low. They attack so fast, plus they have the auto-targeting which is very useful for hitting dudes on lower or higher platforms without having to aggro them. I had one before that did extra crit damage to frozen enemies, and I had either an ice grenade or Frost Blast at the time, so the whip was just mowing dudes down.

But yeah, I'm not necessarily a huge fan of the Nutcracker or Broadsword, but once you figure out the timing of their attacks they can be very devastating. I just tend to prefer quicker weapons.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SethMode

@gkhan: Thanks, duder! I already have it for PC, and this would definitely be portable exclusive, so it's good to know someone sensitive to that sort of thing isn't bothered by it. The game feels like the perfect exercise bike distraction so, I'm happy to hear.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't take a whip even if it's the only damn weapon I see show up in a run.

Shields though..I don't understand any of y'all who could go without that parry.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: more power to you, man. I don't know how anyone can stay calm enough to parry anything from the Ramparts and beyond that isn't a boss.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@sethmode I guess it differs per person, but , like i said, framerate issues don't normally bother me, and after like half an hour, my head felt swimmy. I think it has something to do with the way it moves from screen to screen (room to room, the camera) and the frame rate not being stable, idk.

In retrospect, i should have gotten it on xbox, but it feels like the perfect game for the switch.

Hope that helps

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
    RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not understand the hate for the electric whip. I love that thing. Its speed and auto-targeting are great. With the right combos of items and modifiers it can wreck stuff very quickly. The Valmont's whip, on the hand, is ass. So, too, the sandals.

As for items, I do not care for buffs, such as corrupted power or vampirism. I just don't see the use, since you can get passive effects via modifiers on weapons and deployable items/grenades/mutations that can provide most of the benefits of those two items.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is going to sound strange, but . . . Legendary Weapons? They're powerful, but every single one I've had drop so far has a "take +100% damage" stinger on it to offset all the other bonuses. I've just found the extra DPS and other bonuses are almost never worth it given that with the debuff even the smaller enemies can sometimes one shot you.

Other than that, I'd say the whips, although they aren't worthless so much as really situational. They're handy against dudes who get a shield and the auto-tracking is helpful against the obnoxious bat-enemies that can be hard to hit otherwise.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: You can reroll stats on Legendary weapons thankfully and it's fairly cheap.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: I've tried with the Legendaries, but the option doesn't appear on the reforge screen.

haneybd87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkjohnny477: For me framerate issues will usually make me sick but in this game the real problem is that it screws up my timing and I end up damaged as a result. I don’t run into that problem on PC or XB1X.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright. Tried the Crusher last night. Hated it. It does a lot of damage for a trap, but it's too slow to fire. The enemies have walked through the effective area by the time it goes off, which means I need to pair it with another tool like a Wolf Trap or Freeze Blast. That makes it pretty useless in my eyes.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Alright. Tried the Crusher last night. Hated it. It does a lot of damage for a trap, but it's too slow to fire. The enemies have walked through the effective area by the time it goes off, which means I need to pair it with another tool like a Wolf Trap or Freeze Blast. That makes it pretty useless in my eyes.

Pair it with the Magnetic Grenade, and it's pretty devastating. I like the "sawblades + magnetic grenade" combo better, but the Crusher is pretty fun as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.