Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Island

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

After a zombie virus sweeps across a beautiful island resort, survivors must fight their way to freedom while trying to find out exactly what went down in this open-world first-person action game.

Youtuber claiming to have found hidden nudity in game.

• 124 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Saw this on Kotaku, NSFW I supposed. Skip to 1:55 on the video to actually see the "evidence".

Taking a quick glance at the game's ESRB rating, it definitely doesn't say anything about nudity in the game, but given the games love of face dead zombie girls and camel toes, it's probably not too surprising.

Most people are saying the vaguely vulva-esque looking piece of character model is actually just the legs coming together in that angle, the question is if when inevitably the ESRB is informed of this video, if they will force the game to be pulled and re-print the discs. Is this hot coffee part 2? Will I get a $5.00 check from Dead Island devs five years from now?

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By billyhoush

Couldn't someone with the PC version of this extract the 3D model and confirm this easily? Either way...wow who cares?

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

That guy has a creepy voice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
    deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow...that's one hell of a rape voice he's got going on there...

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By deanoxd

meh, if this kind of thing bothers people they should put their heads back in the sand.

solidejake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By solidejake

Sick!

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blueduck

This is without a doubt the creepiest thing I've ever watched. That dude should be arrested so the children can be freed from his basement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billyhoush said:

Couldn't someone with the PC version of this extract the 3D model and confirm this easily? Either way...wow who cares?

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Creepy dude is so fucking creepy.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's like a sleeve of a wizard!

That dude must have spent hours trying to look up her skirt. Creepy!

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By billyhoush

@allworkandlowpay said:

@billyhoush said:

Honestly, I'm not even convinced its actually part of the character model, I think its just the angle of the legs and some odd shading. The people who will care is likely the ESRB, who may try to pull the games rating. If the game gets an AO, they would need to pull it from stores and reprint new discs. It could become a pretty big deal, especially for the company.

Ugh...as if copies of the game aren't hard enough to find. I hope this weirdo dude enjoys his Adsense dollars and buys a flesh light.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Subjugation

@Mr_Skeleton:

No Caption Provided

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Vonocourt

This dude right here, a true Hero of the Web.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By spazmaster666

@allworkandlowpay said:

There's no actual sexual content though so I doubt it would be AO since for it to be AO, there would have to be sex involved. I mean GTA IV: TLATD had full frontal nudity and it was M rated.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

This guy sounds like a rapist.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By XenoNick

And it's things like this that make me lose faith in humanity a bit.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Why is there a man whispering the word panties into my ears?

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikey87144

I judge the person who took time out of their day to look for nudity in an M rated game about zombies. Seriously? Can't find better nudity on the internet? Girls don't like you 'cause you sound like a cartoon rapist?

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Charlie Sheen?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spazmaster666 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

There's no actual sexual content though so I doubt it would be AO since for it to be AO, there would have to be sex involved. I mean GTA IV: TLATD had full frontal nudity and it was M rated.

A few things on that:

The first, male nudity is taken a little differently in American culture than female nudity. Case in point, The Simpsons Movie featured a scene showing Bart's penis. I can't honestly say just because a game had male nudity and wasn't rated AO, that a game that featured female genitalia wouldn't either. Double standards and the like.

More importantly though, if its actually found to be on the character model, or the ESRB jumps onto the sensationalist train, the game would need to go back to the ratings board again. At that time, it would be pulled from shelves.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By spazmaster666

@allworkandlowpay said:

A few things on that:

The first, male nudity is taken a little differently in American culture than female nudity. Case in point, The Simpsons Movie featured a scene showing Bart's penis. I can't honestly say just because a game had male nudity and wasn't rated AO, that a game that featured female genitalia wouldn't either. Double standards and the like.

More importantly though, if its actually found to be on the character model, or the ESRB jumps onto the sensationalist train, the game would need to go back to the ratings board again. At that time, it would be pulled from shelves.

Ironically though, male nudity is still far less prevalent in movies and video games than female nudity. If the ESRB does pull it though, it would probably be just to change the descriptor text, not actually change the rating.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AndrewB

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By superpow

Is that his normal speaking voice? Sounds like the dude who would find something like this. The evidence is sketchy though.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

@OllyOxenFree said:

Creepy dude is so fucking creepy.

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By awe_stuck

That movie was sooo awesome. I really need to buy Dead Island.

No, but seriously who cares. I've seen almost just as bad in KOTOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spazmaster666 said:

@allworkandlowpay said:

A few things on that:

Ironically though, male nudity is still far less prevalent in movies and video games than female nudity. If the ESRB does pull it though, it would probably be just to change the descriptor text, not actually change the rating.

And if that were the case, that means all the copies need to reflect that new ESRB rating. That means the ESRB rating in the game and the manual needs to be rewritten and it needs to also appear on the case itself. You can't just patch that into the game, because it needs to reflect the new change out of the box, which means issuing out rewritten copies of the game. copies in the meantime are likely to be pulled for whatever undetermined amount of time it takes to tweak the copies and ship them back out. If the dev company is lucky, they can get away with issuing temporary stickers to place over the ESRB rating indicating the change. Either way, it'll cost a not very big company some dough (possibly dough they can't afford) and may even take the game off the market for awhile. It's a pretty big deal.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By FluxWaveZ

One of the top comments nailed it: 
    "figures the guy with the rape voice finds this first"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndrewB said:

Something like this wouldn't raise the rating, would it? Hot coffee was all about nudity and an actual sex minigame (although it had to be activated with a mod). Dead Island is already M rated, and a little slip of nudity wouldn't mean a re-press (at least, I don't think it would. That would be dumb and unnecessary).

Well what you have to realize is that while you think of it as "Oh hey, no big deal, it's already rated m for violence," a sue-crazy parent will see it as "WHAT THE FUCK!? I WAS FINE WITH THE VIOLENCE, BUT IT DIDN'T SAY THERE WOULD BE NUDITY!"

Law suits are expensive to defend against, and unfortunately much harder and more expensive than it is to find a lawyer hungry for a class action suit. Any "concerned parent" could sue the company for lieing about their product, and claim some type of mental duress.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By Deusoma
    @Joeybagad0nutz said:
    This guy sounds like a rapist.
    You know, I sort of rolled my eyes at that while browsing the thread before I watched the video, but goddamn if that guy doesn't sound exactly like a rapist.
    Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By Deusoma
    @AndrewB said:

Well remember, there was controversy over the PC version of Oblivion because the ESRB misunderstood a fan-created mod that allowed players to render their ladies topless. These guys aren't as bad as the nutjobs who flipped out over the lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect, but they're not shining paragons of intellect, either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deusoma: I don't really want to know how you know the guy sounds "exactly" like a rapist, but you know, if you need somebody to talk to, we're here for you.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FritzDude

Why is pixelated semi-nudity more shocking than pixelated gorefest? We live on a weird planet...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FritzDude said:

Why is pixelated semi-nudity more shocking than pixelated gorefest? We live on a weird planet...

Its not the planet, its just American puritan culture. You could probably blame the Bible, and to a greater extent, the puritan movement that immigrated to America. The Bible talks a lot, in great detail at many times, about gory violence, but holds the body and sexuality as a sacred holy thing (most of the time.) Follow that with the Puritan ideology that can be best equated to extremist Islam today, and you have a society founded on taking violence lightly by nudity and sex as unsightly.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @FritzDude said:

It isn't like that across the planet. Actually, I think it's mostly like that in one particular part of it.
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#35  Edited By jacksukeru

I have to admit that I'm a little creeped out by the amount of people who know what rapists sound like.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AndrewB

@allworkandlowpay said:

@AndrewB said:

Well what you have to realize is that while you think of it as "Oh hey, no big deal, it's already rated m for violence," a sue-crazy parent will see it as "WHAT THE FUCK!? I WAS FINE WITH THE VIOLENCE, BUT IT DIDN'T SAY THERE WOULD BE NUDITY!"

Law suits are expensive to defend against, and unfortunately much harder and more expensive than it is to find a lawyer hungry for a class action suit. Any "concerned parent" could sue the company for lieing about their product, and claim some type of mental duress.

I hope that's not the case considering the creators of the game aren't lying about their product, it's the ESRB, which operates independently, which may have missed something in their analysis.

But yeah, doesn't matter that they'd easily win the case. Legal fees would still be a bitch assuming they were allowed to proceed anyway.

I'm totally out of touch with all this considering I was playing the likes of Doom back in grade school.

@Deusoma said:

Well remember, there was controversy over the PC version of Oblivion because the ESRB misunderstood a fan-created mod that allowed players to render their ladies topless. These guys aren't as bad as the nutjobs who flipped out over the lesbian sex scene in Mass Effect, but they're not shining paragons of intellect, either.

Totally forgot about that one. Man...

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @RockmanBionics said:

I have to admit that I'm a little creeped out by the amount of people who know what rapists sound like.

It's not that we know what rapists sound like, but it's the creepy, subdued tone of voice that makes it analogous to someone of that nature: 

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Shady

Nice to see Kotaku reporting on the hard hitting journalistic topics like this one.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By Aegon

Just pretend it's Adam Jensen talking to you. It makes it...funnier? 

The_Tolman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Tolman

Honestly why do we care? I hate people so much.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AhmadMetallic

dat pussy 

Sorry I mean.. Fuck that guy sounds like a rapist. Right guys?

Elusionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Elusionar

You can cut there limbs off, bat there head off, burn them to death... but don't you dare show there private parts!...?

ds8k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ds8k

This is most likely just an anomaly from the model of the character. People looking for something will always "find" what they want.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Getz

Hot.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By laserbolts

That is the most creepiest thing I think I have ever watched.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TehFlan

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

Charlie Sheen?

OH SHIT

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By soldierg654342

Holy fuck, I need to take a shower for every time that man said "panties".

I though the Witcher 2 proved we were pretty much over this kind of stuff?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By donchipotle

"I believe I am the first to discover this"

Yeah, because no one else wastes their time with this creepy bullshit.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RsistncE

@Subjugation said:

@Mr_Skeleton:

No Caption Provided

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bybeach

That looks better than real..too bad the creepy guy ruins it :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.