Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

Kasumi revealed and.. uh.. Akira from Virtua Fighter..?

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#1  Edited By beargirl1

if the video above doesn't work, try this link

so this video came out, and it reveals popular series character Kasumi in her kinda-realistic look to suit the game's new style. she's still a panty shot machine, she kicks high, yea yea blah blah blah. you know, i could really do without Kasumi.

they're also showing off a new stage which looks pretty neat, and a lot like that one stage from SoulCalibur 5. seems like shit gets real at some point with that waterfall near the end.

although what i should bring the most attention to is..

WHY IS THERE A VIRTUA FIGHTER CHARACTER IN THIS TRAILER?!

i don't even.. wha..? oh god, i'm getting memories of that playable Spartan from DOA4. that Akira dude from Virtua Fighter is totally there beating the living hell out of Kasumi. at first, i thought that it was a fan made thing that happened to be really well done, but with this thing showing up on the official Dead or Alive 5 site.. i just.. uh.. augh.

i'm going back to bed.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Vanek

Yeah, the video doesn't work. The other link does and that looks really awesome. I've always been a bit iffy on DOA but this looks really good!

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I enjoyed playing as Nicole in Dead Or Alive 4... But what the is a Virtua Fighter character doing there?

Also it would be kinda weird to not having Kasumi in Dead Or Alive, she is kinda needed for the "story"-beats for especially Ayane. Whom I fucking want in my Dead Or Alive games, favorite fighting game character for me.

EDIT: Hmm... He looks a little bit like Ein in Dead Or Alive 4 - I'll just pretend that's Ein.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By zyn

Good to know that Kasumi is in the game. I don't really care about Akira, since I didn't play the Virtua Fighter games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Kasumi in a DoA game? Get outta town.

Next you'll tell me Mass Effect 3 has Commander Shepard in it!

I like how Netherrealm just put Scorpion in their fucking logo. That's perfect.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ProfessorK

Akira is likely in this because Sega is hyping the new VF5. They debuted the US beta at Final Round XV over the weekend. Otherwise, this looks good, maybe Sarah will be in this too.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

Maybe DOA got jealous of the hype around Street Fighter x Tekken so they're crossing over with Virtua Fighter. Next up, Helena vs Sarah Bryant.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By DocHaus

@PenguinDust said:

Maybe DOA got jealous of the hype around Street Fighter x Tekken so they're crossing over with Virtua Fighter. Next up, Helena vs Sarah Bryant.

You say this in jest, but I have a sneaking suspicion that might actually happen after this reveal.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By BrickRoad

She does kick high, I'll give her that. Visually this looks pretty nice, but the ground texture looked a little...muddy.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

You could do without Kasumi? You monster. I kinda like her new look, I was expecting worse. I wish that there were no guest characters in this game or any fighting game for that matter.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

Well, like Ajay said, this isn't the first time DOA has had a guest character. To see Akira of all characters in the game is a bit random, however. On the other hand, Akira and Virtua Fighter both pretty much represent the antithesis of what DOA is best known for.

MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MikeFightNight

Whaaa, is this going to be a cross up game between the two?? If so, I'm down.

Also, awesome trailer, fighting presentaion looks great.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By apathylad

Kasumi is better than Ayane! I was never into Virtua Fighter, so this does nothing for me.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By xyzygy

I'm pretty pumped for DOA5. I loved 3, but didn't play that much of 4 even though I have it. Should I get into it? Would you say it's better than 3?

I really love Ayane's fighting style. She's so interesting. I remember in 3 how you could make her do like 5 spins in a row.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@xyzygy: If you are a fan of 3 you should love 4 as well. it's very similar but faster and the counter system is more advanced. Many characters Movesets were expanded, giving them more options. I prefer it overall.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BoOzak

This game seems more like Virtua Fighter than DOA from these gameplay videos, granted I dont have much experience in VF but it looks somewhat more technical than i'm used to. Also the new tone they're going for and the rumours i'm hearing of characters sustainting visual damage from fights doesnt seem to fit the franchise very well. Especially considering the crazy characters involved in the DOAverse. Oh well, i'll try and reserve judgement, but DOA taking itself seriously just seems dumb to me.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By beargirl1

@BoOzak said:

This game seems more like Virtua Fighter than DOA from these gameplay videos, granted I dont have much experience in VF but it looks somewhat more technical than i'm used to. Also the new tone they're going for and the rumours i'm hearing of characters sustainting visual damage from fights doesnt seem to fit the franchise very well. Especially considering the crazy characters involved in the DOAverse. Oh well, i'll try and reserve judgement, but DOA taking itself seriously just seems dumb to me.

if anything, it's going to be less technical than previous entries. they simplified the counter system again, and they're not intending for DOA5 to be a competitive fighting game, but a game that's supposed to be entertaining and appeals to people who don't normally play fighting games.

that's what it seems like from what Yosuke Hayashi has been saying anyway.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BoOzak

@AjayRaz: The square arena kind of threw me off & I didnt realise the counter system was very complicated to begin with, the idea if it being toned down further seems like overkill.

Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Eyz

Akira Yuki!!! From Sega's Virtua Fighter!!

Awesome! Awesome!

I do love the VF series so very much!! What a random but epic idea!!

Though at heart, I always hoped we'd get a Tekken X Virtua Fighter crossover at some point, this is equally awesome to be honest.

The new DOA graphics look great, love the new chara design, more realistic and all.

But now I can't wait to instead have an all new VF on consoles!!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hailinel

@BoOzak said:

@AjayRaz: The square arena kind of threw me off & I didnt realise the counter system was very complicated to begin with, the idea if it being toned down further seems like overkill.

If you watch closely, the arena undergoes deformation over the course of the battle between Kasumi and Akira.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By beargirl1

@Hailinel said:

@BoOzak said:

If you watch closely, the arena undergoes deformation over the course of the battle between Kasumi and Akira.

not to mention all the stages are going to be like that. DOA5 is going to focus heavily on environmental interaction

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hailinel

@AjayRaz said:

@BoOzak said:

if anything, it's going to be less technical than previous entries. they simplified the counter system again, and they're not intending for DOA5 to be a competitive fighting game, but a game that's supposed to be entertaining and appeals to people who don't normally play fighting games.

that's what it seems like from what Yosuke Hayashi has been saying anyway.

Frankly, this might be the best direction for them to go with DOA5. I could be wrong, but to my knowledge, it's been hard for the series to get acceptance in the competitive scene.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By renmckormack

Some of the stage transition stuff from DOA4 looked sweet, and i feel like that game is like 7 years old? So I imagine with more time with the xbox that the stage transitions in this will look silly good.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By beargirl1

@Hailinel: absolutely. Dead or Alive 3 was a terrible game for the competitive scene considering that it has infinite combos and such that were really easy to pull off. it's a good direction to go in if they want to stray away from that knowing that other games in the series couldn't get into the competitive scene.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BoOzak

@AjayRaz: I'm fine with this my main problem is it looks as though they're making all the characters seem more self-serious (you might have noticed the art style is alittle less anime-esque) that and I dont like the idea of them breaking up the action between some of the stage transitions with QTE's.

One of the main things I like about DOA is it's all so fluid, no waiting for super-mega-finish-attacks to end or for projectile spammers to build up their guages and so on. (been playing way too much MK recently ;P)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hailinel

@BoOzak said:

@AjayRaz: I'm fine with this my main problem is it looks as though they're making all the characters seem more self-serious (you might have noticed the art style is alittle less anime-esque) that and I dont like the idea of them breaking up the action between some of the stage transitions with QTE's.

One of the main things I like about DOA is it's all so fluid, no waiting for super-mega-finish-attacks to end or for projectile spammers to build up their guages and so on. (been playing way to much MK recently ;P)

I think the change in the characters' appearance has both to do with the advance in tech (it's natural for DOA5 to be far more detailed than DOA4, which came out at the beginning of the 360's life), and the general changes behind the scenes at Team Ninja. Also, the art style changes bring the characters in general more in line with the appearances of characters in the Ninja Gaiden series.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BoOzak

@Hailinel: I dont know, the idea of characters like Gen Fu, Tengu, Bass, Brad Wong etc. being shown in a more realistic light disturbs me. It doesnt seem as though making DOA to be more in line with NG would do either franchise any favours.

EDIT: I'm just scared of this being more like Tekken basicly ;p (dumb characters taking themselves way too seriously...)

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hailinel

@BoOzak said:

@Hailinel: I dont know, the idea of characters like Gen Fu, Tengu, Bass, Brad Wong etc. being shown in a more realistic light disturbs me. It doesnt seem as though making DOA to be more in line with NG would do either franchise any favours.

I'm not sure hwy it would disturb you to see them in a more realistic light. As has been seen from footage of characters like Kasumi, Ayane, Hitomi, Ryu and Hayate, the difference isn't really that great; the characters are still recognizably who they've always been. It's just that the general art style contains less of an anime-influence in their features. I like the new look of Kasumi and the others and I don't think it does anything to detract from the nature of the DOA series.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoOzak

@Hailinel: They havent really shown any of the wackier fighters but I get what you mean.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Where is Hitomi? I don't care until I see Hitomi.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Dany

Kasumi and Ayane look great, Iike the new moves they each have. Foward/Up Kick can lead into a throw for kasumi which is neat. Also ROSE PETALS!!!!!

DOA2U was ok, ayane had an infinite combo as-well.

DOA3 was the entry point of the series for me and I really like it the most, DOA4 is also very fantastic but I am glad they got rid of the plastic looks for every character, it was getting old.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoOzak
    No Caption Provided

@GunslingerPanda: Enjoy ;p

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JazGalaxy

@Hailinel said:

@BoOzak said:

One of the main things I like about DOA is it's all so fluid, no waiting for super-mega-finish-attacks to end or for projectile spammers to build up their guages and so on. (been playing way to much MK recently ;P)

I think the change in the characters' appearance has both to do with the advance in tech (it's natural for DOA5 to be far more detailed than DOA4, which came out at the beginning of the 360's life), and the general changes behind the scenes at Team Ninja. Also, the art style changes bring the characters in general more in line with the appearances of characters in the Ninja Gaiden series.

Kinda. DOA, and a lot of japanese games really, have always gone for the anime/perfect/china-doll look. There's not a whole lot of "realism" in Japanese art. The problem wtih that is the look can only go so far in games before it hits a wall. China dolls can only look so realistic. This is a significant commitment and change in their artistic direction.

Avatar image for kyokushin_nanaya
    kyokushin_nanaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kyokushin_nanaya

I really quite like the new look. It's quite grounded, yet flirts with some stylish tones. The character models look a little flat when you view it in 720p, but just the general flow the game is pretty fluid. I couldn't fathom how they would change the look before, but now when I am looking at it, colour me impressed. I am not too worried about the other characters in terms of their appearance, although I am very curious what Helena and Lei-fang are going to look like.

I don't think DOA5 should be worrying about the competitive scene. I think what they should focus on is its definitive style and making it fun. Sure, the competitive scene may be where it's at and a major source of entertainment for a certain majority, but it doesn't draw me in personally.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.