Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead or Alive 5

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Sep 25, 2012

Dead or Alive 5 is the seventh entry in the Dead or Alive fighting game franchise, introducing a new visual style, new game mechanics, and highly interactive stages.

Never played a DOA before, wondering where to start.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Jeffsekai

Just picked this up today, have 0 experience with DOA games in the past, wondering where the best place to start with this one will be. Should I just do the Story Mode? Jump in Training or should I read a bunch of guides first.

I play a shit ton of Fighters so I know the basics of them, mostly wondering about stuff that would be specific to DOA.

Also wondering what character would be best for a first time DOA player, ala Ryu for first time SF players.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By DocHaus

@Jeffsekai:If you're talking about DoA5, Story mode sorta teaches you the basics of this engine (in a trial-by-fire way), though you'll have to dig into your character's movelist to find out how it applies to them. Also play it to unlock Akira, Sarah and a bunch of titles to progress towards Pai.

As for a first-time character I'd recommend Mila, as she's got decent strikes and grapples in the same package (I started with her), but branch out into your choice of grapplers, strikers or over-the-top combinations when you feel like it.

Remember the triangle: strikes beat throws, which beat holds (counters), which beat strikes.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

Sadly their is no turtorial mode and the story does a poor job teaches the mechanics. The training mode at least very good with lots of options. The main thing to keep in mind coming from other fighters is the stun system. In DOA any counter hit will cause a stun and the only ways to escape are but holds and slow escaping. There are not a lot of guaranteed set ups and combos in DOA. Which can be annoying, even for people used to it. DOA5 is a nice step up from DOA4 in this regard at least. Some moves guaranteed follow ups as does hitting someone in a wall.

For a starter character I would say either Hayate for Hitomi. Both are straight forward and focus on the core of DOA in their play style.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

Start with the bounciest boobs, branch out from there.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Jeffsekai

@DocHaus said:

@Jeffsekai:If you're talking about DoA5, Story mode sorta teaches you the basics of this engine (in a trial-by-fire way), though you'll have to dig into your character's movelist to find out how it applies to them. Also play it to unlock Ryu, Sarah and a bunch of titles to progress towards Pai.

As for a first-time character I'd recommend Mila, as she's got decent strikes and grapples in the same package (I started with her), but branch out into your choice of grapplers, strikers or over-the-top combinations when you feel like it.

Remember the triangle: strikes beat throws, which beat holds (counters), which beat strikes.

Awesome thanks.

@McGhee said:

Start with the bounciest boobs, branch out from there.

How do I get nude patch pls?

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By DocHaus

I meant to say unlocking Akira instead of Ryu. Ryu (Hayabusa) is available from the start, but is a bit more gimmicky than the SF Ryu.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.