Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2: Case West

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Dec 27, 2010

In this downloadable epilogue to Dead Rising 2 (exclusively for the Xbox 360), Chuck Greene teams up with the original game's protagonist, Frank West, to infiltrate a Phenotrans facility and uncover a conspiracy between the Zombrex manufacturer and the zombie outbreaks.

Anyone else feel like we're getting ripped off?

MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa

I can't help but think that Case West is nothing but a tactic to milk us for all we're worth. I really had to convince myself that Case Zero was more then just a $5 demo. I beat it completely the day I bought it but, I told myself, "It's cool. I got some good DR2 insight and it was only $5. No biggie." Now, we're getting Case West and it's like, "Oh, so it was only $5 because I'll get to spend another $5 on Case West." What really bugs me is how they didn't even announce it until after Case Zero had already came out. A lot of people are trying to say that it's getting released because of Case Zero selling so well but, I've got two issues with that. 

1. No that's obviously wrong they were going to release it either way
    2. Would Case Zero have sold so well had we known about Case West? How many people would have just said, "Forget it, I'm not buying both"

Here's a question, why isn't this stuff on the DR2 disc? I think that's really all the proof you need that this is just Capcom looking for more money. It wouldn't be the first time Capcom has blatantly pulled dirty tactics to get us to pay more *cough* sf4 outfits *cough*. Now, don't get me wrong. I like the idea behind Case West. I can't say I'm the biggest Frank West fan but, I think he deserves an honorable mention in the sequel. I just don't think I should have to pay $5 to see it.

Kear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kear

I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off at all. Case Zero was worth more than five dollars to me, and I expect the same of Case West. 

Heylook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Heylook

They are just doing some episodic stuff it looks like, if you don't want to spend the money then don't buy it:)

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust

I hate to be the guy, but nobody forces you to buy them. 

For what they give, they appear to be five worthwhile dollars.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By kagato

I guess it depends on how much dead rising you want, if you play DR2 and are happy at that point to walk away then thats cool.  I for one like Frank West as a character and want to see what he has to do with the second game so ill be buying it as soon as it shows up. 

JoRoNimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoRoNimo

I have to take the "if you don't like it, don't buy it" stance with this one. 

I'll probably pick it up. Hell, I may not even pick up the actual Dead Rising 2 game and just enjoy these two side stories for 10 bucks.

Qdor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Qdor
    @MaGnUmKiLLa said:
    It wouldn't be the first time Capcom has blatantly pulled dirty tactics to get us to pay more *cough* sf4 outfits *cough*. 
    Apples and oranges dude.  Comparing a fully fledged, albeit obviously small scale game to extra costumes seems a little extreme. Case Zero, for me at least, proved totally worth it. I never played the first Dead Rising, and was only ever slightly interested in number 2. After checking out, and putting a decent amount of time into Case Zero, I'm sold on Dead Rising 2 and Case West.  
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Afroman269

lol didn't think someone could find reason to complain about this. If you don't want the upcoming content then don't fucking get it. You're not getting ripped off if you're not buying said content. Also there is worse content out there that is priced at $5.

DrBeardface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrBeardface

I am excited for DR2 and all it entails.  It'd be nice to see what Frank has been up to all those years.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mourne

The spoilers that the announcement give way to are the biggest problem here. You can extrapolate so much about the ending just from the announcement of this one add-on... announced prior to the release of the game. I have not beat Dead Rising 2, but I certainly hope the ending isn't lacking or is a cliffhanger that requires you to play this add-on to get what would be equivalent to a "full experience".

MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa

@Qdor 

Full fledged seems a bit generous. It was a nice touch but, let's be honest, it really was just a glorified demo. I didn't mind paying the $5 for it but, that was back when I didn't know they were going to keep pumping them out. If they had told us about it before hand, I think I could have been alright. I'll be the guy to say it, if I had known about Case West, I wouldn't have bought Case Zero. Case West is atleast going to contribute to the actual story. Case Zero was just to show us the game. If I had known they were going to put out more of these little $5 games, I would have just waited for DR2.  I also don't think the costume comparison was extreme, either. There's no reason why we should have to pay for those costumes, considering that they were already on the disk/done at the time of the games release.

You people can say, "You don't have to buy it", but, I think the real issue here is how they tricked us into this. They knew that if they had announced Case West and told us it was story related and that Case Zero wasn't, it wouldn't have sold nearly as well as it did.  It's just another fine example of Capcom nickel and dime-ing us to death.

mr_faraday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By mr_faraday
    @Mourne:
    There arent any spoilers in that trailer... weve known since around the time Dead Rising 2 was announced that the main plot was chuck trying to clear his name because someone frames him for the zombie outbreak in fortune city.
    MaGnUmKiLLa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MaGnUmKiLLa

@Mr_Faraday
    The fact that we know it's happening post DR2 is the spoiler. I mean, you could have pretty much assumed but, we now know that Chuck and Frank both live up to that point. Kind of takes the drama out of the situation when you know your characters are guaranteed to live.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By Yummylee

I think the timing was weird. Being an epilogue and all you'd assume this would be announced a few weeks after Dead Rising 2's release. I'm very confident DR2 on its own will have plenty of content to begin with, and Case West will simply serve as a bonus. Especially with cooperative play with the dream team of Chuck and Frank slaying together. The only part I am pissed off at is its exclusivity on the 360. I strongly doubt it'll have splitscreen support..

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
    weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By weegieanawrench
    @MaGnUmKiLLa:    "Case West is atleast going to contribute to the actual story. Case Zero was just to show us the game." 

Yes and no. While it does show us how DR2 plays, I think Case Zero contributes to the story as well. It sets up the some of the events of the game and introduces us to Chuck and his past. 

I'm also going to be getting this DLC as well.
    High_Nunez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By High_Nunez

Then I consider myself ripped off, because I'm totally buying Case West. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Vinny_Says

I can easily see Case Zero or Case West coming out after the main game and being billed as DLC and cost $10, because it's a level you never see in DR2 and it has new missions, basically your standard DLC.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Stealthoneill

Honestly, this feels far more like fan service than anything else. The one thing everyone has been asking is "Where's West?" And here, a game where we can once again play as West. I loved Case Zero and am hoping for much more of the same!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Capcom trying to make money? 

How could they!? 

Either way, this is just another 5 dollar chunk of DR2, what can be bad about that? 

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By Vorbis
    @Mourne said:
    " The spoilers that the announcement give way to are the biggest problem here. You can extrapolate so much about the ending just from the announcement of this one add-on... announced prior to the release of the game. I have not beat Dead Rising 2, but I certainly hope the ending isn't lacking or is a cliffhanger that requires you to play this add-on to get what would be equivalent to a "full experience". "
    They have been saying that Chuck gets framed for the zombie outbreak in Fortune City for a long time though, this announcement just tells us that he won't clear his name during DR2. It is weird that they have announced this so early and essentially tells how the game won't wrap that part up. I just hope the ending to DR2 is satisfying enough without it.
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By RichardLOlson

I'm excited to see what they do with frank west in this game.

mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mfpantst

So I'm in that strange camp of people who played Dead Rising like Ryan described last week, I played it and pretty much got off the very first case and never got back on (of course not by the time the second day rolled around).  Then I actually just killed zombies and trolled for survivors until the game ended.  I got on the helicopter and left, getting the 'zombie outbreak but noone knows why' ending.  And I liked it.  And I restarted the game to get through the cinematics but that's it.  When DR2 Case Zero came out, a few things excited me- the ability to get to a level and bring it in to the main game (which I am really excited for).  So I'm totally sold on the full game, and starting out with a level 5 character (the jump-kick is my selling point there).  And playing through the actual Case 0 story makes me realize that following the story is rewarding in of itself.  Actually, I'll probably go back and re-play the DR 1 story because I'm so into it.  AND everytime I've played through Case Zero, I'm left wondering what happened to frank west.  Now I can know.  So for another $5 that's not bad.  If the game is set in fortune city, I guess I understand your complaint, that it would be a good case to add on to the main game.  If it goes the case 0 route I'll be totally happy.  Even if it was set in fortune city I'd play it.  I like killin zombies just like anyone else, but now that I've seen there can be reward in a story, I'm excited for more content.  I'd also like to say that while getting extra pp after reaching level 5 is largely superflous, having a 'demo' where there is consequence and significance to the main game makes me excited, and totally adds to the replay value.  

And I'll echo the rest, if you don't like it, don't buy it.  I bought it because I wasn't interested in replaying DR 1 and wanted to see the whole combo weapon thing and slightly improved graphics.  Plus being outside was a major draw for me.  Am I 100% positive i'll buy Case West?  No, but if the game is good, I'll probably spend my extra $5 on the add-on.  If I don't buy it, I won't feel like I'm missing out, so pfbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By iamjohn
    @MaGnUmKiLLa said:
    " Full fledged seems a bit generous. It was a nice touch but, let's be honest, it really was just a glorified demo. "
    If a ton of content to experiment and play with, a completely brand new area with side characters and cutscenes and content that will never be seen in the final game, the ability to carry over four levels of progress into the main game and more content in the demo of Case Zero than the demo of Dead Rising 1 constitutes a "glorified demo," you have very strange standards, friend.
    Berezov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Berezov

I've spent more money on lunch, I think I'll live.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By JokerSmilez
    @MaGnUmKiLLa said:
    " Here's a question, why isn't this stuff on the DR2 disc? "
    Why is this always such a popular question when it comes to any DLC, "Pre-LC", etc.? Isn't the answer really fucking obvious? 

a) Game companies are companies. It's their job to make money. 
    b) Game development has gotten more expensive while retail prices have stayed the same for a long time. Profit margins are decreasing, so they need a way to continue to make a profit in order to make more games. 

People whine about companies using "dirty tricks" like selling you a product. Man, that's so dirty! A company that produces and sells products trying to sell you some products! How dare they!
    mfpantst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mfpantst

What, make money?  Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  I think this is why so many people who play games and have jobs wish we could make video games for a living.  Because we forget they run a fucking business too.

Madyew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Madyew

Dollar for dollar, Case Zero is one of the best XBLM purchases I've made. You have to look at what you're getting for your money, and Case Zero had a lot. If Case West has the same amount of content, I'll buy it. 

DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DXmagma

only thing i feel pissed about is this stuff isn't coming to ps3, so i can't play as frank west. he's covered wars y'know.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RichardLOlson

Either you buy it or you don't.  Its that simple.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee
    @DXmagma said:
    " only thing i feel pissed about is this stuff isn't coming to ps3, so i can't play as frank west. he's covered wars y'know. "
    Same. 

I was more excited for this than the actual DR2 game.
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Raymayne

No...nobody is forcing you to buy it and 400 points is a ridiculously great price for the amount of content we got in Case Zero, I expect similar with Case West, although I can't see it selling as well after everyone has already played and experienced the full game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.