Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

How well will my PC run it?

• 51 results
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I am deciding between the 360 version and PC I am leaning towards 360 so I can get the Zombrex edition but how much better will my PC run the game compared to 360, is it worth missing out on the ZE?

Rig -

Intel i7 920 @ stock
    Gtx 260. (super clocked edition)
    Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3, Dominator DHX, 7-7-7-20, Triple Channel
    Western Digital 1TB, Caviar Black, SATA-II, 7200RPM, 32MB Cache
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

Also, how is the multiplayer on PC? Do a lot of people play?

Thanks.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Anyone?

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Get the PC version for $40 and find someone who is willing to sell the Zombrex goodies for $40.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Bump.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It'll run like a dream.

My specs:-

Core i5 750 @ 3.2ghz
    4GB DDR3 2000mhz RAM @ 1600mhz
    Nvidia GTX 285 (EVGA FTW)

I get a constant 60fps indoors and mostly 60 outdoors with everything turned up (including FSAA x4, 16x Aniso and Focal Point Blur).

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sodiumCyclops

For you that should run pretty sweet.

Your GPU is a little weak but as long as you don't crank up the AA, you should be fine.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By alistercat

As long as you turn off blur the game will run great. I have lower specs than you and it runs amazing. I have a better GPU though but I don't think this is a GPU focused game.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @sodiumCyclops

Your GPU is a little weak but as long as you don't crank up the AA, you should be fine.
    What do you mean weak? :(

Do I have to buy a new one?
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @sodiumCyclops

What do you mean weak? :( Do I have to buy a new one? "
    No you shouldn't have to right away. I'm just saying that that card is not the strongest.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  Why would you have to buy a new one? The GTX260 is a budget card if I am not mistaken. It's not great but you'll be able to run most modern games really well so don't worry about it. Until recently I was running on a 4 year old+ card.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Oh damn, my bad. I miss read that as CPU. xD

Yeah I am aware my GPU isn't great but I am waiting for a new GTX 400 series card that is better than the 480 but won't burn my house down. Any recommendations?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Oh damn, my bad. I miss read that as CPU. xD Yeah I am aware my GPU isn't great but I am waiting for a new GTX 400 series card that is better than the 480 but won't burn my house down. Any recommendations? "
    You will probably be waiting a while for a new 4xx card from nVidia. You are better to wait (not long now) for the new 6xxx series from AMD.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @sodiumCyclops
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " Oh damn, my bad. I miss read that as CPU. xD Yeah I am aware my GPU isn't great but I am waiting for a new GTX 400 series card that is better than the 480 but won't burn my house down. Any recommendations? "
    You will probably be waiting a while for a new 4xx card from nVidia. You are better to wait (not long now) for the new 6xxx series from AMD.
    Damn, I won't use anything but nvidia though..

Anyway to work this all out?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By mike
    @NekuSakuraba: Yes, play the game on the system you currently have...just like everyone has been telling you.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  You don't need to upgrade. That's it. Just play it. You have modern hardware, what's the problem?
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat
    @NekuSakuraba:  You don't need to upgrade. That's it. Just play it. You have modern hardware, what's the problem?
    Well I was going to upgrade my GPU and I was just asking about it.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By metal_mills

It'll run it on high @1080p @50-60fps.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So I guess in this case it is performance >>> CE?

Whoever has the CE, how is it?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said:

The new GTX 480s with their BIOS revision run a lot cooler than the review samples they got back in March. Reviews samples were 93-96 degrees C at load and 50 at idle, newer ones are at ~80 degrees C at load and like 35 at idle. Future derivatives possibly based off of GF104 or GF106 will be even cooler. I'd recommend them, but not at the eve of a new hardware generation (Radeon 6000 series releasing in like 2 weeks). Should see what AMD has to release, and/or what that will do for prices first. But yeah, just an FYI, Fermis aren't thermonuclear power plants anymore XD. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

The new GTX 480s with their BIOS revision run a lot cooler than the review samples they got back in March. Reviews samples were 93-96 degrees C at load and 50 at idle, newer ones are at ~80 degrees C at load and like 35 at idle. Future derivatives possibly based off of GF104 or GF106 will be even cooler. I'd recommend them, but not at the eve of a new hardware generation (Radeon 6000 series releasing in like 2 weeks). Should see what AMD has to release, and/or what that will do for prices first. But yeah, just an FYI, Fermis aren't thermonuclear power plants anymore XD.  "
    Well what is the most powerful card on the market and is it from Nvidia? If not, how long until Nvidia will match them? thanks.
    metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By metal_mills
    @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

The new GTX 480s with their BIOS revision run a lot cooler than the review samples they got back in March. Reviews samples were 93-96 degrees C at load and 50 at idle, newer ones are at ~80 degrees C at load and like 35 at idle. Future derivatives possibly based off of GF104 or GF106 will be even cooler. I'd recommend them, but not at the eve of a new hardware generation (Radeon 6000 series releasing in like 2 weeks). Should see what AMD has to release, and/or what that will do for prices first. But yeah, just an FYI, Fermis aren't thermonuclear power plants anymore XD.  "
    Well what is the most powerful card on the market and is it from Nvidia? If not, how long until Nvidia will match them? thanks. "

You don't need a new card, seriously. The 260 can run most things at 60fps at 1080p.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Metal_Mills said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

Well what is the most powerful card on the market and is it from Nvidia? If not, how long until Nvidia will match them? thanks. "
    You don't need a new card, seriously. The 260 can run most things at 60fps at 1080p. "
    Yeah but cut that in half since I am planning on using 3D Vision.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said:

" @Geno said:

" @NekuSakuraba said:

Most powerful card is AMD Radeon HD 5970 (dual GPU), most powerful single GPU card is GTX 480. GTX 480 is approximately twice as strong as a GTX 260. HD 5970 is about 20% stronger than GTX 480. Date of release for Nvidia's next set of cards is still unknown.  
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:
    " @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said:

Most powerful card is AMD Radeon HD 5970 (dual GPU), most powerful single GPU card is GTX 480. GTX 480 is approximately twice as strong as a GTX 260. HD 5970 is about 20% stronger than GTX 480. Date of release for Nvidia's next set of releases is still unknown.   "
    So if I am planning to upgrade to the best GPU possible, what should I do then? I mean, I wan't to use 3D vision so...
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba said: 

So if I am planning to upgrade to the best GPU possible, what should I do then? I mean, I wan't to use 3D vision so... "

Depends on budget. Also, hardware is generally still not strong enough to sustain 3D@1920x1080@60fps right now. If you really wish to attain that at the present moment you'll have to be looking at GTX 480 SLI (2 or 3 way) solutions, which will be fairly committal, to say the least.  

Here's an article on Dead Rising 2 performance.  

http://www.gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/dead-rising-2-test-gpu.html    (it's in Russian, but you really only need to look at the benchmarks on the bottom)  

GTX 480 and above seems to be the requirement for sustained 60fps in this game at its highest settings. 
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno said:
    " @NekuSakuraba said: 

So if I am planning to upgrade to the best GPU possible, what should I do then? I mean, I wan't to use 3D vision so... "

Depends on budget. Also, hardware is generally still not strong enough to sustain 3D@1920x1080@60fps right now. If you really wish to attain that at the present moment you'll have to be looking at GTX 480 SLI (2 or 3 way) solutions, which will be fairly committal, to say the least.  

Here's an article on Dead Rising 2 performance.  

http://www.gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/dead-rising-2-test-gpu.html    (it's in Russian, but you really only need to look at the benchmarks on the bottom)   GTX 480 and above seems to be the requirement for sustained 60fps in this game at its highest settings.  "
    So then the GTX 480 comes out on top, then?
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Geno
    @NekuSakuraba: Yes...but as I said we're on the verge of a new hardware generation so it's unwise to purchase anything right now. If you want 3D vision you will need GTX 480 SLI, and that's just for Dead Rising 2 which can't really be considered one of the most demanding games. So I would just advise you to wait for now. If you can't wait, then GTX 480 is a solid choice for the immediate future anyway, but just saying that price drops are imminent. 

You should be able to get along with your current hardware as well if you tone down the settings a bit. 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Can you sli?

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gaff
    @NekuSakuraba:  

System Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or better, AMD Athlon X2 2.2 Ghz or better
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or better, ATI Radeon™ HD 3850 or better
      • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c and DirectX® 10 (Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit, multi-core)
      • Hard Drive: 8.5 GB free hard drive space
      • Sound: Standard audio device

Oh for the love of God. It couldn't have been that hard to look on Steam, right? 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince

Are you kidding? I have a strange hunch that this was just to show off your pretty nicely spec'd computer.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Geno
    @Gaff said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  

System Requirements

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz or better, AMD Athlon X2 2.2 Ghz or better
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800GTS or better, ATI Radeon™ HD 3850 or better
      • DirectX®: DirectX® 9.0c and DirectX® 10 (Enhanced for: DirectX 10, 64-bit, multi-core)
      • Hard Drive: 8.5 GB free hard drive space
      • Sound: Standard audio device
     Oh for the love of God. It couldn't have been that hard to look on Steam, right?  "
    You realize that system requirements don't mean shit right? The requirements that they post for games is typically just enough to install the game and get to the menu screen. 
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Gaff
    @Geno: Neku's current rig: 

Intel i7 920 @ stock 
    Corsair 6GB Kit (3x2GB), PC-12800 (1600MHz) DDR3, Dominator DHX, 7-7-7-20, Triple Channel 
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.  

And those system requirements? 

@LiquidPrince said:
    " Are you kidding? I have a strange hunch that this was just to show off your pretty nicely spec'd computer. "

This. 
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Geno
    @Gaff said:
    " @Geno: Neku's current rig: 

Intel i7 920 @ stock 
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.  

That's his rig, what's your point? 
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I have a suggestion if your mobo is this, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.

Get two gtx460 and sli it, it cost like around $450 if you find the right deals. You get like a card that supasses the gtx480 by alot and also it's near the HD5970. This card has like 90% or more efficiency for sli, you will get nearly double the framerates at all times and it should be more than enough for nvidia 3d vision. Honestly, now you don't have to run ati cards, you get physX and you can continue to use nvidia cards. Who cares about waiting because it's way cheaper than a gtx480 and you get alot more power.  

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Geno
    @HitmanAgent47: That's true. I didn't bother to look up the mobo, it can indeed support SLI and 460 SLI is a good choice as well. 

It's still not enough for 3D vision however. 
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gaff
    @Geno: Well...  
    They suggest a Core 2 Duo. I remember building one of those in my PC. FOUR years ago. The i7 was introduced about two years ago?
    They suggest a Geforce 8800GTS. That's also FOUR years old. Nvidia dropped the 4 digit because they started running into the 9Ks. Around two or three years ago, they switched to the current, three digit system. Hm.
    They suggest 8.5 GB of free space. A TB is about 1000 GB? 

The general rule of thumb, or Moore's Law if you will, the more recent the rig, the more powerful it is. Also, as Will explained in last week's Tested Mailbag, system requirements are kind of lenient as long as you're not trying to run it on a entirely underpowered machine (Hi, single cores!). 

Now, there's two ways to spin it: He's hardware-illiterate, or is just trying to show off.
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Geno
    @Gaff said:
    " @Geno: Well...  They suggest a Core 2 Duo. I remember building one of those in my PC. FOUR years ago. The i7 was introduced about two years ago?They suggest a Geforce 8800GTS. That's also FOUR years old. Nvidia dropped the 4 digit because they started running into the 9Ks. Around two or three years ago, they switched to the current, three digit system. Hm.They suggest 8.5 GB of free space. A TB is about 1000 GB?  The general rule of thumb, or Moore's Law if you will, the more recent the rig, the more powerful it is. Also, as Will explained in last week's Tested Mailbag, system requirements are kind of lenient as long as you're not trying to run it on a entirely underpowered machine (Hi, single cores!).  Now, there's two ways to spin it: He's hardware-illiterate, or is just trying to show off. "
    Uh, you appear to be the one that's a bit hardware illiterate. GTX 260 is a mid-end card, therefore it's perfectly reasonable to wonder whether or not one may run into performance issues on a recent game with it. As shown in the benchmarks I posted earlier in a link, GTX 260 gets about 25-35fps at high settings, which is below the performance standards of most PC gamers. His processor is good, but the game is not CPU-bottlenecked.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @LiquidPrince
    Are you kidding? I have a strange hunch that this was just to show off your pretty nicely spec'd computer.
    @Gaff
    @Geno: Neku's current rig: 

Intel i7 920 @ stock 
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5.  

@LiquidPrince said:
    " Are you kidding? I have a strange hunch that this was just to show off your pretty nicely spec'd computer. "

This. 
    No you got it wrong, I was asking if the performance would be that much greater that I would miss out on the ZE for the standard PC one.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @NekuSakuraba:  Alrighty. Well you should be fine. It'll probably run at a solid 60FPS. I dunno if it's worth dumping the special edition though. That game doesn't really appeal to me.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @Geno
    @Gaff said:
    " @Geno: Well...  They suggest a Core 2 Duo. I remember building one of those in my PC. FOUR years ago. The i7 was introduced about two years ago?They suggest a Geforce 8800GTS. That's also FOUR years old. Nvidia dropped the 4 digit because they started running into the 9Ks. Around two or three years ago, they switched to the current, three digit system. Hm.They suggest 8.5 GB of free space. A TB is about 1000 GB?  The general rule of thumb, or Moore's Law if you will, the more recent the rig, the more powerful it is. Also, as Will explained in last week's Tested Mailbag, system requirements are kind of lenient as long as you're not trying to run it on a entirely underpowered machine (Hi, single cores!).  Now, there's two ways to spin it: He's hardware-illiterate, or is just trying to show off. "
    Uh, you appear to be the one that's a bit hardware illiterate. GTX 260 is a mid-end card, therefore it's perfectly reasonable to wonder whether or not one may run into performance issues on a recent game with it. As shown in the benchmarks I posted earlier in a link, GTX 260 gets about 25-35fps at high settings, which is below the performance standards of most PC gamers. His processor is good, but the game is not CPU-bottlenecked.
    Thank god you get what I was saying! Thanks for letting him know what I was talking about. ^__^
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @HitmanAgent47

Thanks dude, I was planning on doing that but decided to wait for the new Nvidia card but it looks like it was a rumor?

Still stuck between waiting as @Geno suggested or to go along with the SLI.

It is a hard choice, but I guess I will just have to decide.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#42  Edited By agentboolen

Get the Xbox 360 and then just wait for Steam to sell the PC version for 5 bucks in a year.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By NekuSakuraba

So how is the multiplayer on PC? How is the player base?

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @NekuSakuraba
    So how is the multiplayer on PC? How is the player base?
    ?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By alistercat

Less people own in on PC. People are playing it, but obviously much less than on Xbox or PS3.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " Less people own in on PC. People are playing it, but obviously much less than on Xbox or PS3. "
    So I should get the 360 version?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  No. Multiplayer in this game is inconsequential to the experience. It's nice to earn some cash and play some cool mini-games but not having as many people to play with won't make you enjoy the game less. If you want the best performance, graphics and mods then get the PC. if you need to play with people specifically on Xbox then get that version.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  No. Multiplayer in this game is inconsequential to the experience. It's nice to earn some cash and play some cool mini-games but not having as many people to play with won't make you enjoy the game less. If you want the best performance, graphics and mods then get the PC. if you need to play with people specifically on Xbox then get that version. "
    Well I was really interested in the multiplayer, but I just got the PC version. 

How hard would it be to find a game and co-op?
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By alistercat
    @NekuSakuraba:  Not particularly. It's not like there isn't anybody playing it. But there are some issues with the dead rising 2 net code across all platforms. If you watched the quick look Jeff couldn't get in to a game and hopefully it's something they will patch but getting in to games is very much possible just a bit broken for some people. What time zone do you live in? I need to play some co-op for the achievements so I'd be up for that.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By NekuSakuraba
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @NekuSakuraba:  Not particularly. It's not like there isn't anybody playing it. But there are some issues with the dead rising 2 net code across all platforms. If you watched the quick look Jeff couldn't get in to a game and hopefully it's something they will patch but getting in to games is very much possible just a bit broken for some people. What time zone do you live in? I need to play some co-op for the achievements so I'd be up for that. "
    I live in Australia but am up at really weird times. 

What is your Steam name? I'll add you and when I see you online we can play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.