Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

Some choice items you cannot play without now?

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By napalm

So, I'm a little over halfway through Dead Rising 2 as of right now, and so far I've discovered some essential things while going through the game. These things I speak of, are weapons and items, of course! While I use and dispose of lots of stuff, there's definitely a few choice items I try to carry on me at all times that can help tackle almost any situation:

1. The Defiler (Fire Axe + Sledgehammer) / This is easily one of the most attainable weapons in the game because the safe house is stacked to the brim with the fire axe at all times, and there is always a sledgehammer outside of the maintenance room near the safe house. This is a solid weapon because it does massive damage and has a solid radial attack that helps to clear out zombies when needed to move quickly through areas, not to mention it's high durability.

2. Spiked Bat (Baseball Bat + Nails) / A quick, fast and long-lasting weapon that is extremely easy to build and get throw crowds quickly. Never leave the safe house without one! This is a solid secondary back up to the defiler if that one happens to break.

3. Pain Killer (Beer + Beer) / This powerful mixture restores one hundred percent of Chuck's health, as well as making him invulnerable to attacks for roughly ten seconds. Trying to carry at least two of these shots is good,  if ending up not having time to go make another batch and have to move quickly. A quick on the go drink and finding the time to mix a couple is paramount in a few situations, this drink proves to be much more effective than orange juice, or a hot dog!

4. Shotgun / Even though bullet-fed weapons are not really a focus of Dead Rising 2, it can be hard to tell when some goons show up that require a more precise and harder hit than a blunt object and quick reactions. The shotgun is perfect for this as it can stumble an enemy while moving in close to cover a wider range to take more guys out at once, or simply using this against a psychopath who is a little more resistant to melee weapons.

5. Knifegloves (Boxing Gloves + Bowie Knife) [Wildcard!] / Much like a supplement to the spiked bat and the defiler, this weapon is more suited as a powerful catch-all weapon for when needing something a bit quicker and more powerful, usually for a psychopath, or an extremely large number of zombies or bad guys. Long-lasting and quick, these should always be the last resort for high damage and an emergency damage-dealer.

6. Non-Combo, Long-Range Weapon / Finding survivors happens to be a random chance sometime, and even taking out zombies must be suited to a peasant, lowly weapon, such as a 2 x 4, baseball bat, wrench, or a sword. Leave the powerful combo weapons and guns for when their real duty calls, and not for the simple uses of clearing a path and killing time.

What are some items you feel you must always be carrying with, or how do you prefer to play? Do you like only a certain type of weapon, or do you like to branch out and find weapons of all types?

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grillbar

i only use the defiler and the boxing gloves+bowie knife as weapons, if i find any ranged weapons e.i handgun shotgun merc assult rifle and lmg i only carry them so i can give them to the survivers, that way they have a greater chance of survival then with a meele weapon. if i need anything to drink i usually just take some O.J the defiler is at the safe house, the boxing gloves is close to the safe house and the o.j is at the news stand where there allso is a knife on the roof. so basicly you get all you need for the rest of the game at the beginning, if your not lvl 50 theres a mag on the right of the news stand that gives your 10% more pp from combo weapons so basicly thats it if you need another weapon you can take the mma gloves + nails its better then the spiked bat.
    EDIT: so i use 5 defilers and 2 wolverine gloves and thats it
    oldmouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldmouse

Whenever I half to walk back to the Safe House, I make a pair of Knife Gloves and a Defiler.

Occasionally I go out of my way to make the Lightsaber (It's not called the Lightsaber, but it totally should be.)

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

The knife gloves really are great for any situation in DR2. It's because of that, that I'm now switching through my main weapons, going with what's more fun than practical. And the Burning Boxing Gloves will forever > Knife Gloves in my eyes <3

oldmouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldmouse
    @Abyssfull Fun?

I would go with the rocket launcher. Hilarious when you hit a big crowd and watch dozens of zombies go in the air :P
    Pokechapp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pokechapp

Of course the defiler and the knifegloves are favorites. They are there early on and also the items are often close together. Seeing as there are so many bowie knife toting zombies in Fortune City you just need the gloves. Go underground and grab a hammer and an axe... As far as less practical weapons that I really love... Broadsword makes me giddy. I like having a novelty weapon on hand for a laugh or two (Fountain lizard [lizard mask and fountain fireworks] on a zombie then get him in an electric chair [wheelchair and battery] makes for an interesting event). Rocket launcher (lead pipe and bottle rockets) is good for clearing out a horde of zombies and looks awesome. Using the raging thunder (blanka mask and battery) is effective and sounds cartoony enough to make you laugh. There are plenty of weapons out there. Kinda sad to see some people just sticking to the first weapons you make.... 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

The Tenderizers are easier to make than Knifegloves.  The only way I seem to find Bowie Knives with any regularity is random zombie drops.  If I'm running out from the safe house to grab MMA gloves, I'll also grab the spear from the Indian hut, and then make a driller.  Driller is great for bosses.   And of course, Defiler is elite.  Once I figured out Defiler, I stopped making Spiked Bats.

I also really like to have a crowd destruction tool, like Roaring Thunder or Dynameat.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee
    @OldMouse said:
    " @Abyssfull Fun? I would go with the rocket launcher. Hilarious when you hit a big crowd and watch dozens of zombies go in the air :P "
    Oh yeah I do like me the rocket launcher. Though I prefer me the Blambow for whenever I have the need to watch zombie limbs fly all nilly through the air.
    drok17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By drok17

Boxing gloves and knives combo is my choice. I also always bring along a few quick step drinks (wine and beer)

kelbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kelbear

I like to carry blambow, 2 quickstep, a sniper rifle, a defiler for crowd clearing, knife gloves for bosses, and a spiked bat for quick hits while I'm on the move. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By napalm
    @Abyssfull said:
    " @OldMouse said:
    " @Abyssfull Fun? I would go with the rocket launcher. Hilarious when you hit a big crowd and watch dozens of zombies go in the air :P "
    Oh yeah I do like me the rocket launcher. Though I prefer me the Blambow for whenever I have the need to watch zombie limbs fly all nilly through the air. "
    I randomly stumbled upon the rocket launcher. "I have this lead pipe, and there's these fireworks... OMG COMBO WEAPON!"
    MikeFightNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MikeFightNight

Big Pink Chainsaw...duh 

or Paddlesaws, just keep them revved and no zombie can touch you.

zidane_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By zidane_24
    @Brodehouse said:
    " The Tenderizers are easier to make than Knifegloves.  The only way I seem to find Bowie Knives with any regularity is random zombie drops.  If I'm running out from the safe house to grab MMA gloves, I'll also grab the spear from the Indian hut, and then make a driller.  Driller is great for bosses.   And of course, Defiler is elite.  Once I figured out Defiler, I stopped making Spiked Bats. I also really like to have a crowd destruction tool, like Roaring Thunder or Dynameat. "
    There's a bowie knife on top of the news-stand right by the boxing shop in Royal Flush Plaza. That's where I go to fix myself some knife gloves.  

As for stuff that hasn't already been mentioned, I'll usually carry the Health 1 book around from that same newsstand. I like healing for more than usual...makes steak and lobster seem like miracle items. 
    Dixego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Dixego

I love my driller... you can make two in the Royal Flush plaza and it is a one hit kill at my level. 
    Also, i always make a defiler or two just to kill zombies for fun or to get through crowds 

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Knife Gloves, LMG, Health Magazine, and Coffee Creamer...you don't need anything else.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By recroulette

The Defiler because I used the Spiked Bat to death in Case Zero, and it's easy to find.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By LegalBagel

Knifegloves, MMA/nail gloves, and Spiked Bat are my two go-to weapons to make every time I go back to the safehouse.  I also keep 2-3 quicksteps (beer+wine at the Americana bar) around for either emergency health or getting to/from objectives when necessary. 

Beyond that I keep open some slots for combo weapons or guns that I find.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Yanngc33

the spiked bat and the defiler is all you need to have a hell of a good time :D
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#19  Edited By alistercat

I make tons of Knife Gloves, but defiler might be my favourite weapon. It was the first thing I made and I always make them on trips to and from the safe room. It's so satisfying to swing that thing like a golf club.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nasher27

Beer Hat (Beer+Construction Hat) and the Alcohol Magazine are the only two items I ALWAYS have on me. Other than that, usually some Knife Gloves, it varies though.

rybrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By rybrad

Defiler and Sniper are always with me.  Sniper makes the Psychos so much easier.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The Defiler and Knifegloves are awesome.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Lukeweizer

Knife Gloves. So freaking awesome. 

And the Defiller.

Klippinidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Klippinidas

I used the Defiler a whole lot and whenever I didn't use that, I just grabbed the sledgehammer. It worked well against zombies and psychopaths, so it was good to me. Haha. 

And, of course, wine. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.