Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Rising 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Sep 02, 2010

Dead Rising 2 is a third-person action-adventure survival horror game that takes place five years after the end of the original Dead Rising, moving its zombie apocalypse setting into the glamorous Fortune City.

what version is better?

ItsPozer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ItsPozer

dead rising 2 or off the record, im thinking of picking one up since they are on sale for steam today but i dont know what one to get. is the story the same, different gameplay? Any help would be great. Thanks.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By demonbear

I have the exact same question. So i'll post it here as well. 

I played the original Dead Rising on 360, but did not played the 2nd one yet : Which version should I get, Vanilla, or Off the Record?

Nerdboy314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nerdboy314

From someone who has played both. I enjoyed the original dead rising 2 better. But saying that, each game pretty much offers the same thing. If you enjoy just killing zombies on the cheap and don't care for story, the go with off the record cause its only 9.99 as of right now (like half an hour left). But the original dead rising 2 has a far better story in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Sorry for the Necro but I was gonna to make a thread asking the same question. Both versions are on PS4 now and I was wondering if any more people had advice as to which one I should buy (I realize they're selling all three as pack but I kinda want to save money and just get one for now).

I played Dead Rising 1 and really liked the character of Frank West, but am I missing out on anything by playing Off the Record first?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@claybrez: Off the Record, to me, feels very cheap in terms of the Dead Rising canon. It's basically taking all of the new, interesting stuff from vanilla DR2 (weapon combinations, the fantastic playground that was crafted, new characters that are actually sort of interesting) and grafting them all on to Frank West, and then they make Frank West into a completely unlikable jerk.

So, if you've never played either of them and just want the best gameplay possible, I'd recommend (begrudingly, and with a frowny face) Off the Record. If you're hungry for more Dead Rising and are willing to engage with a sympathetic and likeable main character at the expense of some content, I'd (gladly and whole-heartedly) say go for vanilla DR2.

So to sum it up: Off the Record has more content, DR2 is a more interesting game.

Avatar image for deactivated-582d227526464
    deactivated-582d227526464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@the_nubster: Thanks for the thoughtful reply! I'll admit the idea of playing a re-imagined DR2 before playing the first version kinda bugged me, but I wasn't sure if DR2's story stuff was anything to write home about. I'm not too worried about the extra content, in fact, it's probably better to save it as a incentive to play Off the Record. So sounds like I'm going with Chuck Greene's version of the events. I kinda thought his story was a more interesting one, glad to hear it actually is. Thanks again.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should probably play both.

Arabes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you complete one I would be very surprised if you will go back and do the other. They are functionally very similar and the thought of having to restart the game with a level 1 character is really off putting.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just play Dead Rising 2 the extra stuff in Off The Record isnt that great, and I found the "Terror is Reality" gameshow to be a fun little diversion that feeds into the main game.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say Off the Record for its gameplay, but as much as I love Frank West, the story in DR2 is better.

OTR also has the first much requested actual sandbox mode.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see the shared sentiment! The story in DR2 is good for what it is, and Chuck's earnestness in the face of it worked particularly well for me. I've played both, but whereas I beat DR2 3 or 4 times, I didn't finish my first playthrough of OTR.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.