Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 2

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Jan 25, 2011

Dead Space 2 is the sequel to the 2008 surprise hit Dead Space. The no-longer-silent Isaac Clarke finds himself trapped on a city-sized space station called the Sprawl, which has been overtaken by another Necromorph infestation.

What Difficulty did you use?

Darksnughero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Darksnughero

About to start my first play through.  Been spending the last hour or so, tweaking my system settings.  Mostly touching up the audio.  

For a game that seems all about the atmosphere, and less about the combat.  What difficulty setting did you use and why?  How did it effect your play through?

I was thinking, I would spend some time in the menu of my sound system and monitor video settings to make the environment of Dead Space awesomererer.  Then just set the difficulty to easy, so I can just enjoy the ride and blast aliens.

Like a movie.  Aliens to be exact.  I just want to mow down and chop up some necromorphs!  Should Issac be a god or should it be about survival?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I started with normal. I had no issue quickly beating the game in about...5=8 hours. Most likely because i played dead space 1 for the entire week leading up to the release. So I did it with ease and no deaths 

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By big_jon

Zealot.
    dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dpedal1
    @big_jon said:
    " Zealot. "
    Wow...I was just about to ask if anyone played Zealot without any New Game + equipment carried over.  I attempted it but gave up because it was to difficult.  Kudos to you.  Any tips?
    sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sameeeeam

I always go with whatever the default is.

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By JTB123

Normal is great for a first run, but the higher modes offer a great challenge if you're into that. 

@dpedal1: 

I thought my scratch zealot run was tougher than hardcore mode. What part did you get stuck on?

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By audiosnag

I went Survivalist and it was a pretty good balance for me. Ammo was constantly low which made it way more tense.
    I wussed out at the very end at the last boss and turned it down to normal cause my loadout wasn't a good set up for it and i was just getting frustrated and wanted to see the end.

jelekeloy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By jelekeloy
    @audiosnag said:
    " I went Survivalist and it was a pretty good balance for me. Ammo was constantly low which made it way more tense.
    I wussed out at the very end at the last boss and turned it down to normal cause my loadout wasn't a good set up for it and i was just getting frustrated and wanted to see the end.
    "
    I went from normal to easy at the end for the same reason.  That fight was flat out dumb.
    Ashen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ashen

I went normal>hardcore>normal>zealot.

Avatar image for coheedfavorhouse
    CoheedFavorHouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CoheedFavorHouse
    @jelekeloy said:
    " @audiosnag said:
    " I went Survivalist and it was a pretty good balance for me. Ammo was constantly low which made it way more tense.
    "
    I went from normal to easy at the end for the same reason.  That fight was flat out dumb. "
    i went into the final battle with 9 bullets in my plasma cutter and a small med pack. on normal, but still
    htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By htr10

i'd say play normal.  easy seems tempting because it allows you to just roll through the game, but having some element of concern over the enemies' ability to take you out is a necessary part of the atmosphere imo.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By XenoNick

I went  Survivalist for my first run. Didn't have to much trouble until the last boss as I was low on ammo. Reloaded to start of chapter and brought along the Force Gun *I Think* and totally whooped it. Went onto Zealot after and had no issues. Was doing hardcore, Got to disc 2 without saving and the my 360 crashed during the elavator ride. Might try again over Easter holz.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bybeach

Survivalist for the first playthrough. I'm honestly not very good at video games and DS2 started out kicking my ass some. But I do learn and when I am motivated, i try not to make lazy mistakes. I usually start off on the difficulty one above normal anyways because if the game lets me slack I don't have any fun. Thats not to say I sound like I am having fun when yelling at the screen...but I am.
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By cap123

I bought the original Dead Space the other day (i want to play it before i try DS2) and decided to try it on hard first because i think i'm a badass gamer dude and wanted a challenge. It's really quite tough, hard on dead space is actually hard unlike other games where it's the normal setting for people who play games regularly. 

But as i said this is on the original, it might not be the same. I'm definitely going to restart on normal i think.

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By audiosnag
    @CoheedFavorHouse said:
    " @jelekeloy said:
    " @audiosnag said:
    "
    I went from normal to easy at the end for the same reason.  That fight was flat out dumb. "
    i went into the final battle with 9 bullets in my plasma cutter and a small med pack. on normal, but still "
    I had the Plasma Pistol, Javelin Gun, Seeker Rifle and Pulse Rifle and a small medpack. Aside from the Pulse Rifle the other guns are bad for that fight. It didn't ruin the game by any means but I liked the boss from the first game waaaay more.

@XenoNick:
    The Force Gun woulda been real nice to have.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic

normal

dpedal1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dpedal1
    @JTB123 said:
    " Normal is great for a first run, but the higher modes offer a great challenge if you're into that. 

@dpedal1:   I thought my scratch zealot run was tougher than hardcore mode. What part did you get stuck on? "
    The part I got stuck on was when you walk back through the big area before the the Unitology Church,  two pregos come and like a gazilion leapers.  The leapers are a thorn in my side.
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Akeldama

Normal --> easy --> Hardcore --> Zealot

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By birchman

I played on casual, and it was fun!

JTB123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#20  Edited By JTB123
    @dpedal1: 

If I'm remembering that part right there should be a shop at one end of the corridor. You can really bottleneck the enemies there and make really good use of stasis to make things a little more manageable.

Just talking about this game again makes me want to go and get it again.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#21  Edited By BeachThunder
    @XenoNick said:
    "I went Survivalist for my first run. Didn't have to much trouble until the last boss as I was low on ammo. Reloaded to start of chapter and brought along the Force Gun *I Think* and totally whooped it. "
    Pretty much this, except I sold everything for a line gun and a bazillion line racks. I love my line gun :3 

I also had a lot of trouble on the decontamination part.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.