Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Feb 05, 2013

Isaac Clarke, now aided by a soldier named John Carver, pursues the ominous threat of the Markers to the ice world Tau Volantis, now overrun with the terrifying Necromorphs, as well as the Human cultists who worship them.

20 minutes of Dead Space 3 gameplay

Willza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Willza92

Didn't see this posted anywhere on GB and thought it might be worth watching for anyone with concerns about this game. So far the single player stuff is looking OK. I think the open space and white landscape is kind of detracting away from the atmosphere, but I reckon we will get back to being inside dark, drippy mining shafts and hulls during the course of the game, we cant spend the entire game outside in the freezing cold, can we? The coop looks like coop, take from that what you will. Interesting to see what they are doing with the Necromorphs, going for some kind of John Carpenters 'The Thing' style of tiered enemy degeneration, however if its the same three tentacles coming out the waist every time... lame.

Also, PULPING is a new confirmed feature. Pulp, bitch.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

This looks way more like Dead Space then that demo at EA's press conference did.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

We've already seen a bunch of bloody, dark corridors in the past two games. I loved the past two games, but a change of scenery would be nice as long as they don't chuck us in Candyland.

Or they could just inexplicably chuck us in Candyland, with exploding necromorph candy babies. I'd be A-OK with that.

EDIT: Isaac wakes up upside down in an icy cave? He's already got quasi-force powers, can I get a lightsaber?

EDIT 2: Looks... very much like Dead Space. Again, I haven't played it so I won't pass judgement but this is far better than the E3 demo.

EDIT 3: Pulpin' A! I think this looks all right.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#4  Edited By alistercat

I will play this.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Getz

You know of all the things I thought would bug me, the music was pretty low on the list. Why did they go with the triumphant fanfare while you're fighting hellish reanimated corpses? Horns have no place in a horror soundtrack, goddamnit!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

Still looks kinda meh. I don't much care for the brighter, more open environments, the music isn't quite as thrilling from what I heard there, the set-pieces made it look like Dead Space: Uncharted 2 Edition, and soldier enemies who shoot back... yuk. Even if coop is completely optional, I'm still not liking the look of where this is all going, despite it kinda fitting the trajectory that was set with Dead Space 2.

But I do like that they still kept the same theme for when Isaac changes suits, so there's that, I guess.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Who wants to be my Dead Space 3 co op battle buddy? 

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Haha, woah. Scripts, man.

Skip.

Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Liminality

@Yummylee said:

Still looks kinda meh. I don't much care for the brighter, more open environments, the music isn't quite as thrilling from what I heard there, the set-pieces made it look like Dead Space: Uncharted 2 Edition, and soldier enemies who shoot back... yuk.

This, and I don't like that weapon at all, it seems much worse and generic than any of the weapons of the previous games.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NTM

I was going to post it, but after posting anything Dead Space 3 related, the game kind of got the "It's not what I'm looking forward to", and I didn't think this was going to change that. If anything, I thought it'd make it slightly worse.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ShadyPingu

Where is plasma cutter?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

@Liminality said:

@Yummylee said:

Still looks kinda meh. I don't much care for the brighter, more open environments, the music isn't quite as thrilling from what I heard there, the set-pieces made it look like Dead Space: Uncharted 2 Edition, and soldier enemies who shoot back... yuk.

This, and I don't like that weapon at all, it seems much worse and generic than any of the weapons of the previous games.

I didn't comment on the gun because it's basically just a reskinned Pulse Rifle from the first two. Fully-automatic weapons have been in the series since the beginning (maybe not with that much ammo to burn mind you), so I'm not holding anything against the gun. The gun's innocent in all this I tellz ya! Though It still would have been nice if they shown off a different weapon all the same.

@Encephalon said:

Where is plasma cutter?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the plasma cutter won't be returning.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By joshthebear

Thanks, but no thanks. Everything I've seen so far makes me not want to play this.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blueduck

Looks like gears of war.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadyPingu

@Yummylee:You remember reading WHAT?!

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By JoeyRavn

I don't know, man. I don't know. The QTEs and more cinematic parts of the demo look a lot like Dead Space 2, which is awesome. But the rest has too much action, too many bright, open environments. I'm sure this demo is not representative of the whole game, but I can't shake the feeling that this series is pulling a Resident Evil...

@Yummylee said:

@Encephalon said:

Where is plasma cutter?

I think I remember reading somewhere that the plasma cutter won't be returning.

If this is true, then fuck this game. I know it sounds like mindless fanboyism, but the Plasma Cutter was the quintessencial weapon of the franchise. The very core of the gameplay (dismembering Necromorphs) revolved around it. I can understand that they may want to retool it a bit from game to game, but removing it altogether? Nope.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh god the action part looks horrible.....   And I would at least want to shoot real people with the plasma cutter, that would be really fun.  

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Cloudenvy

Yupp! this still looks kind of not good!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust

It looks interesting to me. The tension won't probably reach the levels of the first one, but the game appears to be a solid third person shooter in the style of DS2.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By napalm

Looks good, so far. It's just taking Dead Space 2 way further in that direction, which I have some issues with, but the gameplay and the story is so solid and well-paced that it's hard for me to argue with whatever changes they've done. I also think I really don't need to see any more footage.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Sackmanjones

I feel a little better. They are still working on it so we will see. However, if there is one thing I get fucking get enough off is damaged suits! Give me more damaged suits!

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Subjugation

@JoeyRavn: Plasma Cutter was my "go to" weapon for just about everything. That thing was great after it was fully upgraded. I can't imagine Dead Space without it.

Edit: Woah woah woah ... did they replace the melee with that shockwave attack? I don't think I like that. This still feels significantly more shooter than DS2, and DS2 was already a lot more shooter than DS1. Deep down I really want them to pull this off, but I feel like the need to market (and develop) to the masses is winning out.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spoonman671

The plasma cutter is definitely still in the game.

Looks like a fine game, but the Ishimura was Dead Space to me.  I guess I can just go back and play the first game if that's what I'm really looking for.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

I never p[layed 2, but this looks AMAZING!

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By big_jon

Looks good, I was not aware that this was different from the E3 demo.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By big_jon

@JoeyRavn: It is in the game.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Still not sure how I feel about this game. Looks okay, but there's quite a few nitpicky issues here and there. Also, I realize this is completely dumb, but it really bothers me that I spent the entirety of Dead Space 2 fucking trying to help Ellie escape only to lose her at the very fucking beginning of this game and, I imagine, spend most of the rest of the game looking for her. I feel like I would like this game infinitely more if Ellie was your coop partner instead because there's already an attachment there.

meh, I dunno, obviously haven't played it, but so far I'm more agitated than I am excited

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JoeyRavn

@big_jon said:

@JoeyRavn: It is in the game.

Well, that's one less thing to worry about. Weird that they didn't show it in this demo, as far as I could see.

HiCZoK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HiCZoK

Looks good but nothing like first game.

Second game was already a bit off but was still just an awesome game.

Hope this also looks "actiony" and infact will surprise us

DrHawking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DrHawking

I'm sure this will end up as a fine game, but man I was super bored during all of that video. I wont write it off or anything but I have zero hype for Dead Space 3 at this point.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Clairabel

@joshthebear said:

Thanks, but no thanks. Everything I've seen so far makes me not want to play this.

This is how I feel about it. The first game was the scariest thing I've ever played, and the second one was a good scary shooter, but this game seems to be Call of Duty: Space Ops.

Such a shame, I am a huge fan of the franchise. I tweeted the guys at EA about whether or not it would still be a horror game, to which they replied 'it would still offer a thrilling experience.' Last time I checked, thrilling isn't the same as terrifying.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By GaspoweR

Dammit...if this is going to go full on DUDE SPACE I am not going to get the new game...Dead Space 2 probably had the best intro sequence that I've played that year (yeah THAT intro sequence) wherein the game literally was not messing around and the game itself had the right amount of action wherein you felt constant tension and then release after every encounter.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Uh...looks like Dead Space to me.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GaspoweR

@Clairabel said:

Such a shame, I am a huge fan of the franchise. I tweeted the guys at EA about whether or not it would still be a horror game, to which they replied 'it would still offer a thrilling experience.' Last time I checked, thrilling isn't the same as terrifying.

Oh shit...THEY DUCKED YOUR QUESTION and instead gave you a non-answer. FUCK....very disappointed. Something tells me there are gonna be guys from Visceral who are going to leave or if the game does horribly in sales get laid off. I don't wish for people to lose jobs but this is not looking good either way. I don't think they'll be able to get more people into Dead Space just by dialing down on the horror and then ratcheting up on the action/ "thriller" sequences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think there has to be a way to do horror that isn't just dark corridors. I've gone down every dark corridor in video games, I'd like to try something else. Someone said 'too bright, too open', which is amusing because that's literally the more dangerous scenario, out there with nowhere to hide and no walls and corners to funnel enemies down.

If I was writing this game, I would make a sequence where you have to cross the icy wilderness in a storm, you have to get from one base to another by following these beacons in the snow. Visibility gets so bad that you can hardly see the next one from where you are. And enemies come at you here and there, from any angle, hidden in the snow. The amount of times you spin around to watch your back, you might lose track of the beacon and get lost.

Oh and the reason you need the beacons is because you're actually crossing a frozen lake with unstable ice. So if you get lost you could die at any time from falling through. And as you walk through you'll hear crunches and cracks. Inform the player of the danger by having a necromorph run directly at Isaac and then crack through the ice. Show, don't tell.

Man, game stuff is easy.

Clairabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By Clairabel

@GaspoweR: It wasn't just me asking it either, there were at least ten other Twitter users trying to get a straight answer from them and all they got in response was the same PR-screened non-answer. 'It's still going to offer a thrilling experience/We believe the co-op will be great for Dead Space veterans and new players alike/If you loved the first two games then you will love this.' I asked them how they felt the game could still be scary when you've got a mate playing with you, I got two answers.

'Well there's no local co-op, only online, and you might not always have a visual on them.' (Thanks for that, I'm not an idiot, I didn't necessarily mean with someone ACTUALLY sitting next to you.)

'Even in co-op, users can experience a crushing feeling of isolation.' I offered them examples of horror co-op, Resi, Left 4 Dead, F.3.A.R, etc - and how the experience wasn't scary when you were playing with someone else. After that all they could say was they hoped I played the campaign...

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GaspoweR

@Clairabel: Hmm...I kinda do feel bad about the PR/community management guy running the Twitter feed for Dead Space though and deal with disappointed or worried fans such as ourselves and having to constantly deal with a lot of vitriol from irate fans. Here's to hoping that this will still all work out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NTM

Don't want to blow your mind or anything, but. but. but... Isaac can now climb ladders! Whoaaaa. Just kidding. Anyways, I feel like playing DS2. Who beat the game on Hardcore mode?

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By valiantgrizzly
    @NTM
    valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By valiantgrizzly
    @ValiantGrizzly
    @NTM
    @NTM I did. One of the best gaming experiences I ever had. Considering doing it again on 360.

Sorry for the double post, posting from my phone..
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NTM

@ValiantGrizzly: It's OK, and that's great to hear.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.